CWD Positive Deer Discovered in Florida Panhandle

BSK

For what it's worth, I mentioned the natural occurrence of CJD in humans (CJD) because about one in 1 million people get CJD when their body accidentally begins producing the prion that causes CJD. The amino acid code of this naturally occurring prion is known. People who got CJD from eating Mad Cow infected beef have a different amino acid coding for their prions. That's why that disease is categorized as CJDv. The small "v" is for "variant" - the CJD prion transferred to humans from Mad Cow has a slightly different coding than the naturally occurring variety. Because CWD also has a slightly different coding than naturally occurring JCD and Mad Cow, any person infected with CJD from eating infected venison would also produce a CJD prion with a unique coding, hence we would know where they got the disease. And so far, no one has gotten the disease from CWD-infected meat.

Last edited:

kaizen leader

For what it's worth, I mentioned the natural occurrence of CJD in humans (CJD) because about one in 1 million people get CJD when their body accidentally begins producing the prion that causes CJD. The amino acid code of this naturally occurring prion is known. People who got CJD from eating Mad Cow infected beef have a different amino acid coding for their prions. That's why that disease is categorized as CJDv. The small "v" is for "variant" - the CJD prion transferred to humans from Mad Cow has a slightly different coding than the naturally occurring variety. Because CWD also has a slightly different coding than naturally occurring JCD and Mad Cow, any person infected with CJD from eating infected venison would also produce a CJD prion with a unique coding, hence we would know where they got the disease. And so far, no one has gotten the disease from CWD-infected meat.
🤞

bowhunt25

I live and hunt in Florida and this was pretty devastating news. The CDC doesn't recommend it even though there's no known cases of it being passed to humans. What are the thoughts on eating venison potentially carrying CWD?
I eat both positive and undetected. We've been eating it for years unknowingly. For most it's a mental issue.

kaizen leader

Since we have been told it'll run it's course. What does that mean in time and deer populations. I'll probably be dead by that time.

BSK

Since we have been told it'll run it's course. What does that mean in time and deer populations. I'll probably be dead by that time.
It's going to be a very, very slow process. With most diseases, individuals without any natural or developed immunity die off pretty quickly, leaving only those with natural/developed immunity to reproduce and pass that immunity on to their offspring, producing an entire population immune to the disease. And the faster the disease kills after infection, the faster this process of eliminating those not immune occurs. However, with CWD, deer live a very long time once infected. They continue to reproduce during that time, producing more non-immune offspring. That means producing an entire population that is immune will take many, many, many generations.

And as for population, considering some infected deer live almost an entire normal lifetime before dying from the disease, I would not expect deer populations to decline much. That is, unless game agencies take to foolish step of try to "slow the disease spread" by wiping out the local deer population.

kaizen leader

It's going to be a very, very slow process. With most diseases, individuals without any natural or developed immunity die off pretty quickly, leaving only those with natural/developed immunity to reproduce and pass that immunity on to their offspring, producing an entire population immune to the disease. And the faster the disease kills after infection, the faster this process of eliminating those not immune occurs. However, with CWD, deer live a very long time once infected. They continue to reproduce during that time, producing more non-immune offspring. That means producing an entire population that is immune will take many, many, many generations.

And as for population, considering some infected deer live almost an entire normal lifetime before dying from the disease, I would not expect deer populations to decline much. That is, unless game agencies take to foolish step of try to "slow the disease spread" by wiping out the local deer population.
Thank you sir.

backyardtndeer

That is, unless game agencies take to foolish step of try to "slow the disease spread" by wiping out the local deer population.
If you have been paying attention to what has been happening in a large portion of the West side of Tennessee, you might think that is exactly what the game commissions goal is.

Will be very interesting to see what the next few years hold for actual populations, and the adaptation of the management stance and regulation changes.

BSK

If you have been paying attention to what has been happening in a large portion of the West side of Tennessee, you might think that is exactly what the game commissions goal is.
They are not trying to hide this fact. They have publicly stated as much. A truly disastrous and counterproductive program.

fairchaser

I live and hunt in Florida and this was pretty devastating news. The CDC doesn't recommend it even though there's no known cases of it being passed to humans. What are the thoughts on eating venison potentially carrying CWD?
It's a question that those of us hunting in West TN have been dealing with the last few years. The easy answer is just don't but then you must deal with the questions of why hunt. Each must decide that too. Personally, I've decided to continue hunting and I will eat deer that have been tested and found not detected. There are many reasons we hunt and we can justify continuing to enjoy this great resource if we want to. There is certainly no benefit to the herd if we quit.

Canyonfish

Yes, if the contract it. But, it's very rare even though millions of pounds of mad cow beef was consumed. For most, there was no effect.
If I recall correctly when I used to really keep up with it, the prions are more in the brain and backbone as well as other bones, and not as present in muscle tissue. BSK can probably add more knowledge and wisdom. Deboning the deer seems like the best practice?

BSK

If I recall correctly when I used to really keep up with it, the prions are more in the brain and backbone as well as other bones, and not as present in muscle tissue. BSK can probably add more knowledge and wisdom. Deboning the deer seems like the best practice?
Prions can be found in nearly every part of an infected animal, but they are by far the most concentrated in the brain and spinal column. For this reason, when I butcher my own deer I NEVER saw through the skull/brain or backbone/spinal column. This would just spread prions into the meat as you saw back and forth, or use that same saw on other portions of the deer. Basically, just debone the deer, don't cut through any bones.

mike243

I think getting it from eating is a very low percentage , where I feel it might happen is field dressing or processing them, I get a lot of very small cuts and nicks working and wearing good gloves to stop any infection is very important imo. I will not gamble with my family's well being just to prove you can eat a infected deer, I reckon high heat as in cooking temps wont kill it so when it gets close to my home county I will be done hunting for meat.

Soft Talker

Won't affect my hunting or consuming of panhandle bucks one friggin bit, as it won't affect it here in Tn either. ;)

BSK

Once CWD gets to my county (and it will in a few years), will it change anything that I normally do? No. With one possible exception: if the state decides to change the regulations in my county to try and "lower the deer density to slow the spread," I will not follow the rules and I will advise every hunter I can not to do so as well. The "science" behind this move is HIGHLY questionable. That "science" comes from one area and one study with no control group. Many attempts to do the same in other areas have shown no result from decreasing the deer density. So we have numerous attempts to slow the spread by reducing the density and they failed. Yet just one study that is inconclusive, and you go with that? Bad science. Just agencies trying to do anything to look like they're being proactive. Terrible decision-making, in my opinion.

swd

This has not happened to me yet. If I were to see a sickly deer, I would put it down. I would not eat it.

That said, I have eaten CWD positive venison on several occasions. I do not share that meat with young people and am VERY clear to everyone else about what they're risking.

Latest posts