Deer tracking dog request- Henry County

Stayinthewoods

Good evening all,

I shot the biggest buck of my life in Henry County tonight. After giving him some time, I started tracking and lost blood. Before I put too much scent down, I backed out and wanted to give a call to United Blood Trackers. I tried to call all of them within 60 miles and didn't have any luck.

Does anybody in the area know someone with a tracking dog that I could reach out to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gonna be a long, sleepless night.

Gravey

Here's the only one listed for Henry county on the Facebook group Blood Trailing. Network. Lots will travel outside the county so what other counties touch Henry and I'll look and see if there are any trackers in those counties too.
IMG_5360.png

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Tennessee Blood Trailing Network on Facebook has a Google map with all dogs location posted. I think it's under the featured section.
Can someone provide a link to Tennessee Blood Trailing Network? I find a couple of pages on Facebook but can't find one that shows the map or shows any lists of trackers. I don't have a Facebook account and don't know if that is the issue.

Stayinthewoods

Good morning all. I got a call back from one of the guys listed above last night and he was two hours away so put me in touch with a gentlemen out of Palmersville. He came straight out and was great to work with. Watching him and the dog work was incredible. We unfortunately couldn't find the deer. Looked until 1:00 a.m. and looked a little this morning but unfortunately it had rained for a while before we got out there.

I watched him come out into a field and took my shot perfectly broadside. Deer dropped like a sack of potatoes and didn't move for 15-20 seconds. As always, I had another round in the chamber. He stood up and walked 10 foot facing away. I put him in Jr scope and could see the exit wound, a little high and behind the shoulder. He turned broadside and I shot again. Dropped, not a bit of movement out of him. Got another round chambered and stared at him through the scope for 5 minutes and not a twitch. At this point I climbed down and waited for dad to come to the stand. He came from opposite direction of deer so he couldn't have bumped it. We stood at the base of my stand for 20-30 minutes shootin' bull. Then started down the field and started stopping every 30 yards to look at him through binoculars and never saw him. Once we got within 50 yards I accepted fate. He had gotten up and left town. Went to edge of field where he dropped and found tons of blood. Trailed into woods a small piece and decided to back out and that's when I got back to camp and posted. Based off where I saw the exit wound I can't help but think I hit between lung and spine, and possibly on the second shot as well. Pretty heartbroken over this one. I HATE to wound a deer and am always very particular about the shots i take. I have been after him for a while now.

7mm-08
139 grain Hornady SST
150 yard shot

Attachments

• 20231106_170713-724f.jpg
    20231106_170713-724f.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 20231106_170713-2f39.jpg
    20231106_170713-2f39.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

kkh325

Good morning all. I got a call back from one of the guys listed above last night and he was two hours away so put me in touch with a gentlemen out of Palmersville. He came straight out and was great to work with. Watching him and the dog work was incredible. We unfortunately couldn't find the deer. Looked until 1:00 a.m. and looked a little this morning but unfortunately it had rained for a while before we got out there.

I watched him come out into a field and took my shot perfectly broadside. Deer dropped like a sack of potatoes and didn't move for 15-20 seconds. As always, I had another round in the chamber. He stood up and walked 10 foot facing away. I put him in Jr scope and could see the exit wound, a little high and behind the shoulder. He turned broadside and I shot again. Dropped, not a bit of movement out of him. Got another round chambered and stared at him through the scope for 5 minutes and not a twitch. At this point I climbed down and waited for dad to come to the stand. He came from opposite direction of deer so he couldn't have bumped it. We stood at the base of my stand for 20-30 minutes shootin' bull. Then started down the field and started stopping every 30 yards to look at him through binoculars and never saw him. Once we got within 50 yards I accepted fate. He had gotten up and left town. Went to edge of field where he dropped and found tons of blood. Trailed into woods a small piece and decided to back out and that's when I got back to camp and posted. Based off where I saw the exit wound I can't help but think I hit between lung and spine, and possibly on the second shot as well. Pretty heartbroken over this one. I HATE to wound a deer and am always very particular about the shots i take. I have been after him for a while now.

7mm-08
139 grain Hornady SST
150 yard shot
Sounds like the Buck should be in the area dead. Possible also someone else located the dead Buck and took it. One time I along with my Brother and Father were hunting at LBL on a Either Sex Gun Hunt. Around 8 am 3 Does came down the Deer trail we located on the top of the Ridge. My Father who was using a Winchester Model 71 .348 Winchester shot the largest Doe. The Doe ran straight down the Ridge into a bottom. We started following the blood trail down the Ridge which was fairly steep. At the bottom the Doe then ran probably ran 50 yards in the bottom. We found where she finally dropped over dead. But this is where it gets interesting. Someone else beat us to the Doe and proceeded to drag her straight out the bottom to the Road and load her up and was gone. We did not see the ones who did this or the vehicle. We followed where she fell over dead and they started dragging her out to the Road. No other shots in the area. So it happens especially on Public Land (WMA). You are probably hunting on private land but there is others that could be there who don't care on whose property they are hunting. I hope you are able to locate your Buck.

Stayinthewoods

Sounds like the Buck should be in the area dead. Possible also someone else located the dead Buck and took it. One time I along with my Brother and Father were hunting at LBL on a Either Sex Gun Hunt. Around 8 am 3 Does came down the Deer trail we located on the top of the Ridge. My Father who was using a Winchester Model 71 .348 Winchester shot the largest Doe. The Doe ran straight down the Ridge into a bottom. We started following the blood trail down the Ridge which was fairly steep. At the bottom the Doe then ran probably ran 50 yards in the bottom. We found where she finally dropped over dead. But this is where it gets interesting. Someone else beat us to the Doe and proceeded to drag her straight out the bottom to the Road and load her up and was gone. We did not see the ones who did this or the vehicle. We followed where she fell over dead and they started dragging her out to the Road. No other shots in the area. So it happens especially on Public Land (WMA). You are probably hunting on private land but there is others that could be there who don't care on whose property they are hunting. I hope you are able to locate your Buck.
Appreciate you sharing. I've got a few more days and I intend to look every chance I get. Not giving up just yet!

Huntaholic

Had the same thing happen on private land many years ago. MY Dad shot a 6 pt in the cedars about 150 yds from a public road. He waited until I got to him to start tracking and we found PLENTY of blood. It went downhill into and overgrown field full of briars and honeysuckles but we stayed on the trail. About 100 yds before we got to the road, we could see it in plain sight, a truck comes down the road and stops. Guy gets out and starts dragging my Dad's deer up the bank! My Dad takes off toward them, I stay on the blood and track it right to the ditch where they grabbed it.
He caught them before they could start the truck and leave, my Dad didnt have his gun with him, but I did. The argument that ensued was one you wouldnt want to hear I promise you that! There were 3 of them in the truck and I just took a couple steps back and unslung my rifle. I was NOT going to kill somebody over a deer, but have no doubts, I would have killed all 3 of them if they had attacked my Dad. He kept looking at me and telling me to go get the truck but I wouldnt leave him in that mess! Dad had his knife in his hand and I have ZERO doubts that if I had walked away he would have gutted at least one of them before the other 2 could have shot him. Dad finally saw that I was NOT going to leave him and after a cussing that would make a sailor blush, we let them load the deer and drive off.
He chewed my arse up one side and down the other all the way home for not leaving him when he told me to. I finally told him I wasnt leaving him there and Id have killed every MF in that truck if they had laid a hand on him. After that, he never mentioned it again.

Latest posts