CWD Positive Deer Discovered in Florida Panhandle

timberjack86

For what it's worth, I mentioned the natural occurrence of CJD in humans (CJD) because about one in 1 million people get CJD when their body accidentally begins producing the prion that causes CJD. The amino acid code of this naturally occurring prion is known. People who got CJD from eating Mad Cow infected beef have a different amino acid coding for their prions. That's why that disease is categorized as CJDv. The small "v" is for "variant" - the CJD prion transferred to humans from Mad Cow has a slightly different coding than the naturally occurring variety. Because CWD also has a slightly different coding than naturally occurring JCD and Mad Cow, any person infected with CJD from eating infected venison would also produce a CJD prion with a unique coding, hence we would know where they got the disease. And so far, no one has gotten the disease from CWD-infected meat.
Good to know, thanks for sharing this!

killingtime 41

I suspect it ain't the end of the world. The game commission will have the entire population shot off during hunting season. That'll have more to do with population decrease that the actual cwd.

Sniper

Typical TWRA response. Pick the wrong plan of action, eliminate the herd, blame the disease and say we should have done something sooner.

gary66

10-15 years ago I looked into reported cases, without exception the out breaks were always near high fence deer farms. Texas had no cases... they had very strict rules and at that time they worked, all herds healthy.

As deer hunting became big business, disease increased.

BSK

10-15 years ago I looked into reported cases, without exception the out breaks were always near high fence deer farms. Texas had no cases... they had very strict rules and at that time they worked, all herds healthy.

As deer hunting became big business, disease increased.
TX now has several cases of high-fenced infected deer. Too much sale and movement of animals.

Ski

TX is only place I've personally witnessed a diseased animal. It was an incredibly sad sight. Deer would flop over, struggle to get back up, then flop over again. I called a warden to report an injured deer and after describing its behavior he told me it sounds like a dying infected animal, not wounded. I agreed. It didn't seem wounded. It seemed weak and severely disoriented.

Latest posts