Deer Hunting Ames Plantation

BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE":2rtgwmym said:
Do they still place mineral supplements out? I know their was a study done about it once.

Do members have mineral sites, or is that controlled?

What about food plots, clover, alfalfa, Etc.? Is anything planted or is it all simply a working farm?

Since members are limited to only two stands marked with their names, wouldn't that allow other members that bump into their stands to determine that this is where ole x hunts.

Do the members have a private forum or Facebook page where they have discussions, share deer movement, etc.?

Is there a backdoor for members on their website for access to maps, open/closed road system, crops planted, club newsletters, etc.?

Mike, Fairchaser, Andy, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I noticed that my question about roads was answered on the first page and Mike graciously answered it again!

I am sure that others enjoy learning about the property and I would think that a waiting list possibly exists because of these online discussions and the articles in QDMA magazine last year. Even though it is likely the largest hunting club property in Tennessee, how else would anyone know about the opportunities?

I think a few of the questions above got lost, so I wanted to bring those questions forward.

fairchaser

BULL MOOSE":33l60n1b said:
BULL MOOSE":33l60n1b said:
Do they still place mineral supplements out? I know their was a study done about it once.

Do members have mineral sites, or is that controlled?

What about food plots, clover, alfalfa, Etc.? Is anything planted or is it all simply a working farm?

Since members are limited to only two stands marked with their names, wouldn't that allow other members that bump into their stands to determine that this is where ole x hunts.

Do the members have a private forum or Facebook page where they have discussions, share deer movement, etc.?

Is there a backdoor for members on their website for access to maps, open/closed road system, crops planted, club newsletters, etc.?

Mike, Fairchaser, Andy, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I noticed that my question about roads was answered on the first page and Mike graciously answered it again!

I am sure that others enjoy learning about the property and I would think that a waiting list possibly exists because of these online discussions and the articles in QDMA magazine last year. Even though it is likely the largest hunting club property in Tennessee, how else would anyone know about the opportunities?

I think a few of the questions above got lost, so I wanted to bring those questions forward.

They did put out dical out this year after a hiatus last year. Some secret salt licks I'm sure have been put out by members but since there is no access for cameras or anything from members until squirel season, the benefits are limited.

There is no back door forum for members that I know of but its a good idea. There are no secret maps unless members create there own and most of us do our own mapping on software but don't openly share except with our hunting buddies.

If you leave your stand out, yes it may give away one of your honey holes but can also act as a scarecrow to other hunters scouting the area.

Nothing is planted specifically for deer. It's a working farm. There is plenty of food as long as we kill enough deer to keep the population in balance. Food plots have been considered but they tend to concentrate hunters more than deer.

Hunters do a pretty fair job of spreading out and staying away from each other but it's going to be challenging this year with 100 members. 184 acres per member sounds like a lot until you start eliminating open areas, safe zones, dense pine plantations, swamps, crops, and clear cuts. It can get small fast.

Mike Belt

I don't recall a year where we had a full membership and still had people on the waiting list. Usually there are former members that don't get back in as well as people that are on the waiting list that either have found another place to hunt or financially just can't swing it by hunting season. In other words if you're interested in hunting at Ames don't be afraid to jump on that waiting list and don't be surprised if you get in that same year.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":1bpm3c5i said:
The last time I had to carry my bike 1 1/2 miles through the mud getting back to the truck was the last time my bike went to Ames.

Bikes can be awesome and a curse. I will not ride mine for at least a day after a hard rain. I always have a backup spot to hunt. Most bikes aren't really designed for that kind of terrain so they require constant maintenance and care. But I would not think of not having one. I have flipped mine a couple times and that's pretty scary at my age. The bike keeps me mobile and unpredictable. I won't carry a stand plus gear more than a few hundred yards on my back. By the time you get to your spot your are completely trashed. I do walk with a cart sometimes when necessary. Mike I've carried my bike too. You're not alone.

Andy S.

Mike Belt":219myj5c said:
You can stop and park anywhere from where you park your truck up to those interior parking areas.
I don't think this is the case if you are going hunting. Unless you have a handicap permit, you have to park your ATV at designated parking areas. These areas are clearly marked on the map provided by Ames.

Andy S.

fairchaser":23anv9zu said:
Two maps are provided to each member. One is a land use map, color coded, showing current crops and various stages of timber types and maturity. The other map is a arial style map with designated parking spots as well as approved full time atv use and handicap use ATV trails. Property boundaries etc are also shown on this map. These maps are essential and even the experienced veterans study them continually.
Ditto, here are the maps from 2015. The quality has been reduced for online displaying purposes.

NxrUx4v.jpg

wXD7fTf.jpg

Mike Belt

Not so sure about that Andy???? For instance...AP gate. If I was hunting 1/2 way between the blacktop and the interior parking area you're saying I'd have to drive the ATV past where I was hunting and then walk back or just walk in from the blacktop? I didn't think it made any difference whether you had an ATV permit or not as long as you were driving a designated road and not beyond the interior parking area.

Andy S.

BHC":1784bhar said:
What is the check in system at Ames? How do hunters mark there hunting location?
You don't mark where you are hunting, you simply sign in at one of the two sign in boards indicating what unit you are hunting.The 5 units range from 2,500 to 5,500 acres. Signing in and out is more for safety and accountability than anything else.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":2yug9omn said:
Not so sure about that Andy???? For instance...AP gate. If I was hunting 1/2 way between the blacktop and the interior parking area you're saying I'd have to drive the ATV past where I was hunting and then walk back or just walk in from the blacktop? I didn't think it made any difference whether you had an ATV permit or not as long as you were driving a designated road and not beyond the interior parking area.

Using your scenario Mike, my understanding is that you should park your ATV at the campground or the designated parking area and not inbetween. Aubry has issued tickets for people parking near the catch pens. FYI.

Andy S.

Mike Belt":10zihbe3 said:
I'm sure this is not the case. If a member has no ATV permit and wants to comply with the contract, he/she would need to park his/her truck at the designated parking area and walk back to where he/she was hunting. There have been several members get a note left on their truck for not parking at designated parking areas.

Andy S.

fairchaser":1bd9jvvn said:
.................is that you should park your ATV at the campground or the designated parking area and not inbetween. Aubry has issued tickets for people parking near the catch pens. FYI.
Ditto. Better yet, park your truck and don't unload your ATV unless needed.

BULL MOOSE

Thank you for posting the maps! If you can only park at a designated parking area, then I could see where an atv or bike are required hunting gear. As I understand, there are:

designated trails for atv and bike use only with a designated parking area
Then foot traffic only from that point UNLESS you have a health permission slip

Can a bike travel on a path closed to ATVs? If not, there does not seem to be any advantage to using a bike vs.atv except noise reduction.

I am guessing that the Orange atv trails are for anyone's use and the yellow are for handicap atv or atv deer retrevial only??? Obviously there are other roads not color coded on the map? Can you take your bike on those other non- marked trails?

Andy S.

You can walk anywhere on the plantation as long as you are not in a safety zone, and ride bikes on any roads not in a safety zone. ATV access is restricted to roads shown on the maps. If anyone is serious about joining, I suggest contacting Ames directly to request a contract. It will spell out anything and everything you want to know.

(901) 878-1067

http://www.amesplantation.org/

BULL MOOSE

I quickly reviewed the rules from 2015 again. It does state that vehicles can park along the shoulder of the road and designated parking areas, but not in any church parking lots.

It does state that ATVs may only be used for retrieval of deer! A special provision is made for a person who has a valid note from an orthopedist.

It does state that " O). electric bicycles may be used. They are defined as being two wheeled with handlebars and with electric assist motors. They may be used for access to and from stands only. Excessive "riding around" may result in removal of individual or membership-wide bicycling privileges." Based on this rule, I would assume that a person could ride a bicycle basically anywhere that it will travel.

So, good walking boots or an electric bike are good equipment.

BULL MOOSE

The deer check in policy states that all deer harvested on Ames must be checked in at the Ames station. No Exceptions. All deer will be weighed and the jawbone will be removed.

Based on this statement, I would assume that a hunter could cut their deer in half to assist with dragging it to the designated ATV trails for removal. It is probably easier to drag 75 pounds twice versus 150 once.

fairchaser

BULL MOOSE":2pw5s2x0 said:
The deer check in policy states that all deer harvested on Ames must be checked in at the Ames station. No Exceptions. All deer will be weighed and the jawbone will be removed.

Based on this statement, I would assume that a hunter could cut their deer in half to assist with dragging it to the designated ATV trails for removal. It is probably easier to drag 75 pounds twice versus 150 once.

You can recruit some help getting your deer out including helping with a atv. Most have a deer cart or access to one also. The only time it's a real issue is getting a doe out 2 miles deep. Nobody really wants to be out there alone when the coyotes crank up. I usually will cut myself off on does at a certain time of day depending on how deep I am. Any deer left in the woods very long after dark will have coyotes on it.

Andy S.

BULL MOOSE":3bhx9wra said:
..... can park along the shoulder of the road
Correct, the contract does say that, but I interpret that as the secondary gravel roads (little to no traffic). For the main paved roads, it can be a gray area at times. I have seen some members get away with it in areas with a pull off, while others get a warning note left on their truck advising not to do it again. Based on my personal experience hunting Ames over the last 12 years, I'd refrain from parking on the shoulder of the paved roads for sure. Also, you can never go wrong asking Ames management their opinion for a particular area to ensure you are covered.