Deer Hunting Ames Plantation

TheLBLman

fairchaser":vpmg89nz said:
. . . . . nearly every shooter buck that is known about gets killed.
For years I've been proclaiming this to seemingly deaf ears.

IMO, it is not nearly as hard to kill "older" bucks as some of us would like others to believe.
It's mostly just a matter of not killing other bucks until specific "shooter" bucks come along, with the older ones tending to follow the younger ones. It's amazing what you can see with a little trigger restraint on younger bucks, and of course, a good balance in the buck:doe ratio.

Andy S.

fairchaser":xla3moms said:
....nearly every shooter buck that is known about gets killed. A few slip through the Ames nets....
Generally speaking this may be true, especially for the bucks EVERY member knows about, but my experience has not echoed this, and the same can be said for 2-3 of my closest buds who runs several trail cameras every fall. Every year, I get several (3-6) good bucks (130"+) on camera that I NEVER see while hunting, that NEVER show up on the concrete dead, and to my knowledge, are not killed on neighboring properties. The same can be said for several other members who share their pictures with me late season once the majority of hunting is over (lots of pics of good bucks that the membership never kills). It constantly amazes me that those good bucks can slip through the cracks with the intense highly efficient hunting pressure we put on them. I expect a fair amount just leave the property or lay up in the safety zones until two hours after dark Oct - Dec. My .02

fairchaser

Andy S.":7kveh1io said:
fairchaser":7kveh1io said:
....nearly every shooter buck that is known about gets killed. A few slip through the Ames nets....
Generally speaking this may be true, especially for the bucks EVERY member knows about, but my experience has not echoed this, and the same can be said for 2-3 of my closest buds who runs several trail cameras every fall. Every year, I get several (3-6) good bucks (130"+) on camera that I NEVER see while hunting, that NEVER show up on the concrete dead, and to my knowledge, are not killed on neighboring properties. The same can be said for several other members who share their pictures with me late season once the majority of hunting is over (lots of pics of good bucks that the membership never kills). It constantly amazes me that those good bucks can slip through the cracks with the intense highly efficient hunting pressure we put on them. I expect a fair amount just leave the property or lay up in the safety zones until two hours after dark Oct - Dec. My .02

I know of a few myself that were never seen and one we are sure died of old age. I'm glad to hear about more that slip through although probably unkillable. Still there's always hope they will slip up. Those safety zones are real sanctuaries for bucks too. Some of those get killed off property and never hear about. There are some places on Ames that are nearly inaccessible too that I'm sure holds good bucks. But, it's hard to kill a nocturnal buck. Our only chance to kill some of those is to keep the doe count in check. Then they have to get up and search especially later in the season.

Mike Belt

Most of the bigger bucks I've had pics of in the past were never killed on Ames. A couple were killed in the same vicinity where I got the original pics and a couple were killed up to 1 1/2 miles from that point.

Andy, I just don't know how true it is that by keeping the doe population in check makes for more potential buck movement during the rut. On the surface it makes perfect sense but to tell you the truth, I've seen 10 fold more rutting action with higher numbers of does present. I suppose if you happen to set up right on top of a hot doe the action you may see might be fast and furious but overall, the more does we have spread out over the place the more potential rutting action we have spread out over the place as opposed to just a few site specific areas. Granted that with fewer does the bucks might have to get on their feet to find them but if the does are sharing the same hidey holes the bucks seem to have found they don't have too move far.

Andy S.

Mike Belt":22hov3i5 said:
....I just don't know how true it is that by keeping the doe population in check makes for more potential buck movement during the rut. On the surface it makes perfect sense but to tell you the truth, I've seen 10 fold more rutting action with higher numbers of does present. I suppose if you happen to set up right on top of a hot doe the action you may see might be fast and furious but overall, the more does we have spread out over the place the more potential rutting action we have spread out over the place as opposed to just a few site specific areas. Granted that with fewer does the bucks might have to get on their feet to find them but if the does are sharing the same hidey holes the bucks seem to have found they don't have to move far.
My experience echoes this to a tee. I rarely see much rutting action from the stand these days, whereas the first 3-4 years (2004-2008) I saw plenty, which was about the time we were ramping up on blistering the does. From a purely selfish point of view and to make hunting more "fun", I wish we could go back to the herd dynamics and hunting pressure we had those years. We killed just as many, if not more "good bucks", and the hunting was ten times more fun from an observation standpoint.

fairchaser

Andy S.":3gbvk28t said:
Mike Belt":3gbvk28t said:
....I just don't know how true it is that by keeping the doe population in check makes for more potential buck movement during the rut. On the surface it makes perfect sense but to tell you the truth, I've seen 10 fold more rutting action with higher numbers of does present. I suppose if you happen to set up right on top of a hot doe the action you may see might be fast and furious but overall, the more does we have spread out over the place the more potential rutting action we have spread out over the place as opposed to just a few site specific areas. Granted that with fewer does the bucks might have to get on their feet to find them but if the does are sharing the same hidey holes the bucks seem to have found they don't have to move far.
My experience echoes this to a tee. I rarely see much rutting action from the stand these days, whereas the first 3-4 years (2004-2008) I saw plenty, which was about the time we were ramping up on blistering the does. From a purely selfish point of view and to make hunting more "fun", I wish we could go back to the herd dynamics and hunting pressure we had those years. We killed just as many, if not more "good bucks", and the hunting was ten times more fun from an observation standpoint.

You guys have more experience on the plantation, but I see tons of rutting activity from the stand. On one morning I saw around 100 does (many I'm sure the same ones) being chased by several bucks for a couple hours. I have it on video. It depends where you hunt and on what days. I think bucks will travel from doe group to doe group until they find a hot doe. Since I've been in the club, last six years, I've seen an increasingly greater amount of rutting activity. Just saying. I prefer it the way it is.

Andy S.

fairchaser":1abjgj3l said:
You guys have more experience on the plantation, but I see tons of rutting activity from the stand. On one morning I saw around 100 does (many I'm sure the same ones) being chased by several bucks for a couple hours.
100, really? How many did you put down on your observation form? :) FWIW, I didn't see 100 individual does all of last season combined.
fairchaser":1abjgj3l said:
Since I've been in the club, last six years, I've seen an increasingly greater amount of rutting activity. Just saying. I prefer it the way it is.
If this be the case, I can understand why you vote for no change.

Mike Belt

I'd suggest you keep your mouth closed about where you're hunting. Three of us don't see that many in a season and we've been there for 10 years and "had" a pretty good handle on where the deer were up until the last 3 or 4 seasons. I used to regularly see 8-10 bucks involved in a single chase and several chases per sit. Not any more.

Andy S.

280longshot":2jjvt9zq said:
So, every hunter is suppose to document what then seen on an observation form?Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes indeed, they collect a ton of data from the membership. You have to sign in and sign out as well every day, as well as indicate which unit you are hunting, highly regulated compared to just your normal hunting club that has 3-4 guys in it.

fairchaser

Andy S.":3s5b6vyw said:
fairchaser":3s5b6vyw said:
You guys have more experience on the plantation, but I see tons of rutting activity from the stand. On one morning I saw around 100 does (many I'm sure the same ones) being chased by several bucks for a couple hours.
100, really? How many did you put down on your observation form? :) FWIW, I didn't see 100 individual does all of last season combined.
fairchaser":3s5b6vyw said:
Since I've been in the club, last six years, I've seen an increasingly greater amount of rutting activity. Just saying. I prefer it the way it is.
If this be the case, I can understand why you vote for no change.

My best guess was about 25-30 individual does being chased in and out of cover over a two hour period. The way we are supposed to count them is once they disappear and reappear they are a new observation. I know another person who saw 17 in one group. Both you guys hunted less than usual last year. I believe y'all see as many deer per hour of hunting as anybody in the club.

Andy S.

fairchaser":1hqi0gbo said:
My best guess was about 25-30 individual does being chased in and out of cover over a two hour period.
That had to be action packed and A LOT of fun! I am ready for a few crisp fall mornings with some action like that, hopefully about 6 months from today! :tu:
fairchaser":1hqi0gbo said:
Both you guys hunted less than usual last year.
True statement for me, but I hope to redeem myself this fall. :)

Mike Belt

Yes we have to sign in and out on every hunt; morning and evening. We also have to record deer seen in the form of does, fawns, bucks, and shooter bucks (those scoring 125 or better). The place is divided into 5 different units and each unit is gridded off in 100 acre tracts. We have to record the unit and the grid hunted. This information is not made available to the club members.

BULL MOOSE

Do they still place mineral supplements out? I know their was a study done about it once.

Do members have mineral sites, or is that controlled?

What about food plots, clover, alfalfa, Etc.? Is anything planted or is it all simply a working farm?

Since members are limited to only two stands marked with their names, wouldn't that allow other members that bump into their stands to determine that this is where ole x hunts.

Do the members have a private forum or Facebook page where they have discussions, share deer movement, etc.?

Is there a backdoor for members on their website for access to maps, open/closed road system, crops planted, club newsletters, etc.?

BULL MOOSE

Mike Belt":1dv30klt said:

Yes we have to sign in and out on every hunt; morning and evening. We also have to record deer seen in the form of does, fawns, bucks, and shooter bucks (those scoring 125 or better). The place is divided into 5 different units and each unit is gridded off in 100 acre tracts. We have to record the unit and the grid hunted. This information is not made available to the club members.

Mike, I know the macro data is released for the 5 areas, but have have they ever analyzed the hunter data for the 100 acre micro quadrants to determine if some 100 acre areas are rarely hunted, some areas always produce sightings, some areas devoid of shooter bucks,etc? It would be interesting .

Mike Belt

Bull...I'm sure management may look closely at that kind of information but it isn't made public to the members. I wish it was but I can see where it might stack up hunters in a given area if it was.

BULL MOOSE

Mike Belt":2u9tskmv said:
Bull...I'm sure management may look closely at that kind of information but it isn't made public to the members. I wish it was but I can see where it might stack up hunters in a given area if it was.

It would be very interesting data even if the exact areas were not disclosed. Areas hunted often might show effects of hunting pressure vs. daytime activity, It might show if hunters prefer to hunt certain areas and habitat even if seeing less deer, maybe proximity to parking areas, where a lot of does are seen, etc. There might be some areas that are rarely hunted. It would be interesting to know.

As I understand the hunter check-in process at Ames, a hunter simply checks into one of 5 areas but does not indicate on a pin board exactly what 100 acre quadrant they are hunting. Other hunters can technically choose to hunt the same areas correct? Then at the conclusion of a days hunt, the hunter indicates observance data and the exact secret 100 acre area hunted is placed in a locked box?

Mike Belt

Correct on all counts. I've had a couple of Ames people that also deer hunt and had access to this information tell me that because of a conflict of interest they don't hunt the most promising areas on record. Hard to believe and without access to that information, impossible to prove. They do get to hunt the unpressured safety zone areas and I'm not sure whether those hunts are recorded or not. Either way we never know what they may or may not be seeing although by hunting adjacent areas we may have an idea.

Andy S.

Mike Belt":1akpi541 said:
.....Ames people that also deer hunt and had access to this information tell me that because of a conflict of interest they don't hunt the most promising areas on record.
From my experience at Ames over the last 12 years, , I do not believe that there are that many promising areas that produce year in and year out. Does, maybe, mature bucks, not that many, if any. The habitat at Ames is always in flux and so dynamic that it seems the deer literally change their travel patterns and behaviors the most from year to year for any property I have ever hunted. I have been able to find areas where I had 35 deer sighting mornings one bow season, and the next year I couldn't buy a deer in that same area. I have had this pattern repeat itself for several years and so has some other members. I realize habitat and food sources change, but deer travel patterns and daylight deer movement at Ames is the most unpredictable year after year of all places I have hunted. I also do not put much stock in the areas where the better bucks were killed last year. My best friend and I have always said, to continually be successful at Ames, and to have a chance at a mature buck every year or two, you have to treat every fall at Ames like it is your first year ever in the club. In short, do your homework, scout your butt off, erase 85% of your scouting knowledge from last year (don't rely on it for certain), and find new sign and new pockets that hold deer THIS YEAR.

fairchaser

Andy S.":3odhibgi said:
Mike Belt":3odhibgi said:
.....Ames people that also deer hunt and had access to this information tell me that because of a conflict of interest they don't hunt the most promising areas on record.
From my experience at Ames over the last 12 years, , I do not believe that there are that many promising areas that produce year in and year out. Does, maybe, mature bucks, not that many, if any. The habitat at Ames is always in flux and so dynamic that it seems the deer literally change their travel patterns and behaviors the most from year to year for any property I have ever hunted. I have been able to find areas where I had 35 deer sighting mornings one bow season, and the next year I couldn't buy a deer in that same area. I have had this pattern repeat itself for several years and so has some other members. I realize habitat and food sources change, but deer travel patterns and daylight deer movement at Ames is the most unpredictable year after year of all places I have hunted. I also do not put much stock in the areas where the better bucks were killed last year. My best friend and I have always said, to continually be successful at Ames, and to have a chance at a mature buck every year or two, you have to treat every fall at Ames like it is your first year ever in the club. In short, do your homework, scout your butt off, erase 85% of your scouting knowledge from last year (don't rely on it for certain), and find new sign and new pockets that hold deer THIS YEAR.

So so true. I know some long time members put their stands up in the same spots every year and get mad if somebody else gets near them. Also, this unpredictable behavior of the deer speaks to why there is so much so called "beginners luck". Since new members don't have those favorite haunts, they scout differently and find new areas not hunted by others. Good observations. Another key for me anyway is flexibility and unpredictability.

Latest posts