CWD FACTS too good not to share...............

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
The following was written by Dr. .James Kroll. Here is some information about him.

There aren't many deer hunters across the nation who aren't familiar with Dr. James C. Kroll, the doctor on call for the North American Whitetail magazine, television and social media franchise.

Kroll, known affectionately as Dr. Deer to millions of outdoors enthusiasts across North America, isn't just a celebrity deer hunter, however. He's the real deal, the Professor Emeritus of Forest Wildlife Management at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas, where he lives with his wife Susie.

Kroll grew up in Waco, Texas, getting his B.S. and M.S. degrees from hometown Baylor University. After completing his master's degree, Kroll went on down the road a few miles to College Station where he graduated in 1973 with a wildlife Ph.D. degree as a distinguished graduate from Aggieland.

After a brief teaching stint at Salem College in West Virginia, Kroll returned to the deer rich Lone Star State, becoming an assistant professor at SFASU in 1973. As he rose up through the ranks of teaching in the Pineywoods of East Texas, Kroll went to work and was largely responsible for building the Lumberjacks' wildlife management program from the ground up.

Kroll also created the Institute for White-tailed Deer Management and Research, embarking on a highly successful research career that saw him teach students how to scientifically manage land for better populations of white-tailed deer and other wildlife species. With dozens of published papers and numerous awards to his credit, Kroll was soon one of the nation's top go-to authorities on a scientific approach to deer management efforts.

Along the way, he also developed a reputation as one of the nation's leading authorities on teaching regular hunters and private land managers how to manage their properties for better deer production and top end hunting prospects. Through his annual Field Day in Nacogdoches, hunting show seminars, and numerous books, articles, and television show appearances, Kroll became known as Dr. Deer when the late Dallas Morning News outdoor writer Ray Sasser gave him the moniker in a story about Kroll's management principles and teaching efforts.

While Kroll is retired from actively teaching college students these days, he's busier than ever as he helps instruct 21st century deer hunters in the art of growing deer and maximizing the potential of vital wildlife habitat. Through his monthly articles in North American Whitetail magazine, weekly appearances on the North American Whitetail television show, and through instructional videos on DVD and social media platforms, Dr. Kroll is always on call for America's deer hunting camp.

No matter what dilemma a property's deer herd might be facing this year, Dr. Deer has the perfect prescription for maximizing herd health, reaching top-end antler development, and improving local hunting potential. When the good doctor from Nacogdoches is in his woodsy office, the answer that a deer hunter needs is never very far away!

August 20 was an important day for white-tailed deer, deer hunters and landowners in Texas! The Texas Trophy Hunters Association held a Q&A meeting at the San Antonio Extravaganza. Dr. J. Hunter Reed, Texas Parks & Wildlife CWD Lead, gave a presentation on CWD and the Department's response to it. It was very informative and we think you need to know what we managed to ferret out! Doc led the questioning and attendees also asked great, well-thought out questions. It took a while but here is what Doc confirmed:
1. After killing thousands of deer for testing, the apparent prevalence rate for CWD for free-range and breeder deer is less than a half of a percent. And, less than 10% of the counties have had positive tests.
2. Only a handful of deer have been documented to have died from CWD, and most of those were mule deer in areas where there are no deer breeders.
3. The Texas deer herd, in regard to CWD is in good shape, much better than most other states!
4. There is no peer-reviewed evidence that CWD has reduced reproduction or recruitment in any state's deer herd. (To be fair, Dr. Reed claimed to be able to produce studies that did! And we are waiting to see these documented.)
5. Deer breeders are rapidly developing a CWD resistant strain of deer, which could be used to manage CWD in free-ranging herds. (We hear Pennsylvania is looking into this).
So, when asked why such draconian measures are being applied, Dr. Reed said because it may become a problem! There is no such word as "may" in the scientific lexicon!
An excellent suggestion was made by one of the participants. Why not add a requirement of landowners in the State's deer management assistance program to submit a percentage of legally harvested deer for testing, just to monitor for positives? That would mean thousands of deer from all over the State would be tested, eliminating what is currently impeding deer hunting in Texas!
It's time to create a harmonious partnership between hunters, landowners and the agency; instead of the contentious, adversarial role the department now plays? In other words, as the first deer management assistance program in Mississippi was, the agency serves as a facilitator, not a regulator!

We have analyzed the CWD testing data for Texas from 2012-2023 and here are the first results.
The prevalence rates for CWD for each of the following categories of White-tailed Deer tested are:
107,180 Free-Range WTD deer= 0.02%
52,781 Breeder WTD= 0.7%
20,046 Released (stocked) WTD= 0.16%
The numbers are the number tested.
In 2022, Texas had an estimated 5,018,938 WTD.

TheLBLman

Wow.
My first take-away is that "Dr. Reed" must be a democrat politician posing as a wildlife researcher.
Just to be clear to those who haven't carefully read the above, "Dr. Reed" is a different person than "Dr. Kroll".

"Reed" is proclaiming that state game agencies (like TWRA) need to take draconian measures because CWD "might" become a problem. Meanwhile, "Kroll" is now saying maybe we don't need to do so much after all?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think Dr. Kroll has changed his stance (for the better) on CWD.

Ski

"Reed" is proclaiming that state game agencies (like TWRA) need to take draconian measures because CWD "might" become a problem. Meanwhile, "Kroll" is now saying maybe we don't need to do so much after all?

That's how I read it.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think Dr. Kroll has changed his stance (for the better) on CWD.

I think a lot of scientists stances have been changing, at least softening. I'm a nobody from nowhere with no background in anything biology related and yet even I can see that CWD is not the monumental crisis so many were afraid it was going to become. I'm glad to see Dr. Kroll bring a voice of reason to the conversation. If something doesn't give way soon the cure will be worse than the ailment for a lot of states, TN included.

BSK

Not to cast shade on anyone, but just remember Dr. Kroll is a mouthpiece for the deer breeding business.

Although the percentages are small, notice that bred and released deer have CWD at a rate 8 TIMES HIGHER than wild deer.

I will be very curious to watch their attempts to breed a CWD-resistant deer.

Ski

I will be very curious to watch their attempts to breed a CWD-resistant deer.

Me too. I read a couple years ago that there were wild deer showing genetic resistance to CWD, as in they couldn't catch it. If both parents had the gene their offspring would be 100% immune. If true that in itself is promising news.

BSK

Me too. I read a couple years ago that there were wild deer showing genetic resistance to CWD, as in they couldn't catch it. If both parents had the gene their offspring would be 100% immune. If true that in itself is promising news.
Yes, there are some deer that are resistant. One way Nature has made white-tailed deer so successful is through their breeding behavior, which produces massive genetic diversity within localized populations. This provides every population with more "chances" of being adapted to anything that comes along. Years ago, when CWD first started to be researched, it was found elk only have 4 genetic variations of the coding that would affect CWD-resistance. Mule Deer had 6 variations. At that time, it was found whitetails had 83 variations. That's a lot of possibilities for accidental resistance.

TheLBLman

If something doesn't give way soon the cure will be worse than the ailment for a lot of states, TN included.
In many West TN counties, this has already "come to pass".

IMO, the fear-mongering of CWD absolutely destroyed biologically & scientifically sound deer management across West TN, and along with it, has greatly damaged the heritage of deer hunting.

Food banks stopped accepting venison, many people became afraid to eat it,
never mind venison remains one of the healthiest meats available.

Even the 20,000-acre Ames Plantation's deer hunting program seems mostly ruined with a bleak future?

Why? Mostly fears based on fears of the unknown.
Fear-mongering, and much of it pushed by the TWRA.

GreeneGriz

A retired biologist from Michigan, ground zero for CWD eradication efforts, spoke at an event I attended a few years ago.
He said they tried everything to eradicate or slow CWD and nothing really changed the rate they found CWD in tested animals.
He also said they would never had known their herd had CWD had they not tested for it.
He said millions of dollars were wasted trying to control something they really didn't and still don't understand.

backyardtndeer

Honestly don't trust Dr deer or others who self proclaim their expertise on this subject. Sure science can support them in their cases, but often times research is skewed. The fact that half of this article talks about who Dr kroll is is enough for me to question how seriously I should take any of it.

As others above have said, this states approach is flawed and the cure will be worse or in some cases already is worse than the disease running it's course.

BSK

Well

He's right

And eventually everyone in Tennessee will realize it like the folks out west already have.

The TWRA May let you destroy years of sound deer management first and drive thousands out of deer hunting. That's the real problem.

He's right if he says there's nothing that can be done management-wise to end the spread of CWD. Whether or not they can produce a CWD-resistant deer is another question. But Dr. Kroll has been wrong - and deeply misguided - on many, MANY topics.

Andy S.

I think the prevelance rate in bucks killed at Ames was closer to 50 percent.
Correct, 2021 season was almost 60% for bucks. 50% for does. Sampling deer from 18,000 acres.

Ames_2021_CWD.jpeg

PillsburyDoughboy

I keep reading and watching the atats about the states that have legalized baiting and they seem to have the same or less CWD issues as TN . Some plus or minus aside.

Yet I keep hearing the same mouth pieces yapping about baiting being a gateway to CWD. Where is the science ?

Latest posts