Crossbow guys

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I personally have never had an issue with de-cocking. I carry a small xbow target with me in my vehicle. When I'm done hunting, I shoot a field tip bolt into it. Not a problem.
I do the same, and I've made my own out of old blue jeans so it didn't cost anything and takes up very little space… I'm a cheapskate

Rakkin6

I personally have never had an issue with de-cocking. I carry a small xbow target with me in my vehicle. When I'm done hunting, I shoot a field tip bolt into it. Not a problem.
That's what I do with my Stealth NXT but it is nice being able to De-chocolate chip cookie when you climb down in the dark.

sgtwebb1

I have this one right here, it shoots 400FPS, and I can hit a 4 inch bullseye at 75 yards with it all day long.
Spring for the crank-cocker, you won't regret it.

The only one I like better than mine that I've laid hands on is my son's father in law has a Ravin.
DANG that thing is super fast.
In my opinion, the Barnetts are awesome for the money.

Amazon product ASIN B079ZQDYQZ

Lt.Dan

Has been little mention of this previously, but the ability to "de-****" is an important feature.

"De-cocking" has never been an issue with recurve crossbows because they are relatively easy to de-**** without having to shoot the arrow (or bolt if you prefer). Since most compound crossbows required that you shoot them to de-****, this was a major inconvenience, as in your done hunting for the day, but you cannot (or should not) transport a cocked (and/or loaded) crossbow in your vehicle.

Many of the newer, especially the more expensive, compound crossbows now have a de-cocking feature. But many still don't. No way I would buy one that I had to shoot to unload.
I have a PSE and a Centerpoint. I also had an Excalibur recurve. I can de-chocolate chip cookie all of them without shooting the arrow. The Excalibur had instructions and I found hack video's on YouTube for the compound xbows. It's quite simple and so much better than having to shoot and arrow every time you finish hunting for the day.

Bone Collector

No way I would buy one that I had to shoot to unload.
It is a PITA, but what I did was carry an old bolt with me, and a field point on it. When I got down, I would find a good looking piece of ground and aim out in front of me 5 yds or so and shoot it into the ground. If the bolt broke, I would grab another from the pile of messed up bolts when I got home, and put a field point on it.

That being said, de-cocking is the way to go if you can get one with the feature.

Specializedjon

I only hunt with cheap crossbows. I like to have the freedom to throw it out of a tree or run it over with my truck when I'm pissed about missing ANOTHER buck. I'm hunting with a sharp stick this next season. I have several to choose from.

I may even resort to claymores along the fence line. It'll be a game time decision.

Claymores may or may not already be in place 💀

fairchaser

Another consideration is the cocking and decocking. It very awkward to carry a cocked crossbow. I chocolate chip cookie my at the base of my tree and decock at the bottom for transporting through the woods. If I see a deer otw in or out I could recock it as the cocking rope stays on the bow but that's a lot of movement to shoot a deer at less than 50 yds at eye level. Another consideration is the width of the bow. My Excalibur is very wide which is a pain navigating through thick timber. I have to turn it vertical to get through the brush. Also, the limbs could contact the tree once you're up at height if you must twist too much for a good shot. The narrower bows have an advantage here. So there are pros and cons for most any Xbow. All in all, I still prefer what I've got. But, I've been with the same girl for 50 years too. If you get my drift.

Rakkin6

Jon claymores are for amateurs go with the MICLIC

Attachments

• 8M0ihc.gif
    8M0ihc.gif
    6.4 MB · Views: 42

bigtex

Excalibur Matrix 380 for me. They've come out with better ones since I purchased mine several years ago but mine still gets the job done. I did upgrade the scope that came on it to a Hawke with an illuminated reticle.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I like to maintain my own stuff. I don't take guns to a gunsmith and I don't trust my bows to a bow shop for maintenance. Therefore, the Excalibur was the right choice for me. It's been dead on since I bought it ten years ago. I let the string down in the off season and replace the string as needed. It's deadly to 40 yds.
Excalibur Micro owner here. Love it. It's fast, accurate and every shot I've taken has been a kill shot with the deer falling within sight.

mike243

Agree . The main reason compound bows were created was to allow for let off so that a person could more easily hold the string back at full draw. So they added complexity to the bow design for that purpose and it works great in that regard.

But when we talk about crossbows, let off is not an issue. So why add the complexity of cams to a bow where it is unnecessary?
Like bow cams add speed

Snake

The entire issue of crossbows being some big advantage over regular compound bows is largely false, at least assuming an experienced user of both. There are some relatively small advantages, but also some disadvantages more or less wiping out those advantages.

Extended range is one of those fallacies, since the range extension, again imo, is no more than 5 to 10 yds over a modern regular compound bow. The fastest crossbow remains of very slow velocity compared to even a mediocre rifle round. Deer are bad about simply moving before the arrow arrives, so maybe we move that practical (ethical) range distance from 35-40 yds to 45-50 yds with a crossbow, but more because of shooting accuracy consistency than anything else.

Heck, with most my bowhunting setups, I can't get a shot beyond 35 yds regardless of weapon, so even a rifle typically gives me little range advantage over a crossbow.

For me, the biggest crossbow advantage is the ease of using superior optical sights (like a low-power traditional rifle scope). THIS is from where most of that better accuracy comes (for me), allowing for that extra 5-10 yds. And yes, crossbows can be shot with more accuracy consistency with a lot less ongoing practice than can regular bows.

Of course, not having to draw a crossbow, shortly before sailing an arrow, is an advantage (more so for novices than experienced bowhunters).

Disadvantages of crossbows include their being more cumbersome to carry afield, and being much slower to "load" and/or get off a 2nd shot.

So overall, crossbows are an advantage over regular compound bows. But, imo, this advantage gain is not as much as the gain of going from a regular recurve bow to a regular compound bow, such as occurred with most bowhunters during the 1970's.
Many things to consider but the reason most go-to a crossbow is shoulder injuries , anyways that my reason I really miss shooting my compound .

Atchman2

I bought me second Barnett Crossbow this year. The first Barnett Crossbow lasted me over a decade. I finally replaced it, not because anything was wrong with it, it was because I FELL on it and broke it.

Fast forward to now. I replaced it with a 400 FPS model, it is over a pound lighter and much more powerful. Shooting a crossbow is fun, but it is a pain in the butt to load. I would much rather grab a couple dozen arrows and go out in the backyard to shoot my compound.

The model, while faster, is slightly less accurate. I think if I changed to a heavier arrow it would be better. Still it piles shots in a bundle.

I guess what I'm saying is a crossbow does not have to be same hole accurate. Most of us don't use them enough to wear them out or even to have service problems.