Cougar taken by Hunter in Tennessee

Mike Belt

Speaking of hogs in west Tn and in particular from Shelby Forest north to Anderson Tulley... was TWRA responsible for releasing the wild boars at Tulley years back? If so, what's their take on the aftermath of doing so?

PillsburyDoughboy

http://wkrn.com/2016/01/09/fire-destroy ... unty-line/

even different fire engines responded to the home in the 9500 block of Highway 96.

Crews were initially called just before midnight and the house was already engulfed in flames when they arrived.

The Nashville Fire Department told News 2 there were "a number of animals – exotic and domestic – in the home."

Officials know there were four or five monkeys, some llamas and dogs in the home and they know some of the dogs did not make it.

There was also a report that a leopard may be missing, but officials with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency told News 2 there was not.

Firefighters had to run water more than a quarter of a mile to the house and one of them suffered minor burns.

Neighbors told News 2 that a mother, father and their two daughters lived there with the animals.

The fire department is trying to find out how the fire started.

Biggun4214

TheLBLman":wkdaf71f said:
I'm still wondering how does someone "lose an elephant"! :tu:

The handler was drunk and asleep. A circus made a rest stop at the Sevier Co Fairgrounds.
The officer was driving down the main drag toward Sevierville and saw the elephant walking down the road across the river. He drove over to where the elephant was. The elephant bit the passenger mirror off the truck. He got out and tried to herd it with a tobacco stick. The elephant started pushing the truck. To hear the office tell it was funny but I bet it was even funnier to watch.

Planking

PillsburyDoughboy":tliamutl said:
http://wkrn.com/2016/01/09/fire-destroys-home-off-highway-96-on-davidson-williamson-county-line/

even different fire engines responded to the home in the 9500 block of Highway 96.

Crews were initially called just before midnight and the house was already engulfed in flames when they arrived.

The Nashville Fire Department told News 2 there were "a number of animals – exotic and domestic – in the home."

Officials know there were four or five monkeys, some llamas and dogs in the home and they know some of the dogs did not make it.

There was also a report that a leopard may be missing, but officials with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency told News 2 there was not.

Firefighters had to run water more than a quarter of a mile to the house and one of them suffered minor burns.

Neighbors told News 2 that a mother, father and their two daughters lived there with the animals.

The fire department is trying to find out how the fire started.
Five monkeys in your house? What could possibly go wrong. :D

BigGameGuy

TheLBLman":v5j8exhp said:
There is now a recent East TN photo floating around, supposedly of a cougar.

If it's not photo shopped, and if indeed from where stated, it appears to be an older cougar kitten, adding relevance to my last post above. The picture made the local news and is supposedly being taken seriously in terms of attempts to authenticate that it's not photo shopped, and/or not from another state.

Here's the story from the local Knoxville news . . . . . .
http://www.local8now.com/news/local/hea ... 68511.html

Sad what people claim and believe nowadays. And to think news stations publish this stuff without fact checking. Shame on Knoxville news.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/inde ... iver_index

TheLBLman

BigGameGuy":l3n9y78r said:
Sad what people claim and believe nowadays. And to think news stations publish this stuff without fact checking. Shame on Knoxville news.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/inde ... iver_index

. . . . . but the Michigan Department of Natural Resources couldn't confirm the photo's authenticity.

What does that statement mean?
Does that mean the pic itself was a hoax, or not? Photoshopped, or genuine picture?

Just based on what I read there, they believe the pic didn't come from Michigan, but did not state the pic wasn't legit.
Again, I'm not claiming that pic to be legit (neither did the Knoxville News)----- just waiting for someone in an official capacity to demonstrate that it's not.
Sounds like Michigan's equivalent of TWRA simply said the pic wasn't taken in Michigan?

As far as the Knoxville news reporting the story, it was a real story of local interest, supposedly being investigated, and they reported how things "appeared". Just haven't heard anyone (in an official capacity from TWRA) state any determination had been made.

If no reports, pics, or other evidence was ever taken seriously, we would never have any official confirmations (like we started getting recently in West & Middle TN)? Does TWRA have the original pic in their possession?

TheLBLman

Biggun4214":35puu8o9 said:
From what I read the original picture came from Texas.
Yes, that did seem to be what the Michigan "authorities" were thinking.

Just saying I've heard nothing officially from Tennessee proclaiming the pic was altered, nor anything stating the pic wasn't taken near Kodak, TN. Maybe TWRA didn't think it was even worth taking a look at, but any official lack of commentary has added to the mystique. In fact, if TWRA hadn't followed up on what appeared to be a cougar photo from Obion County just this past September, we'd probably still be going back & forth with comments about how that Obion County pic was likely photo shopped and/or taken in some other state.

Just saying, someone produces a pic of what appears to be a cougar, and says he personally took that pic in TN, I would think TWRA should investigate his claims, and make their findings a matter of public information (as they have done recently with some trail cam pics in West & Middle TN). In the meantime, particularly over the past few years, I believe many legitimate cougar sightings have not been reported to TWRA simply because few wanted to be subject to their quickly downplaying it as most probably just a case of mistaken identity or a hoax.

Considering this latest pic in question was widely circulated by the news media in East TN, it would seem prudent for TWRA to have some commentary about it on their "Cougar" page of the TWRA website. For those who haven't yet seen this recent creation, it's actually very nicely done and was long overdue:
http://www.tn.gov/twra/article/cougars-in-tennessee

Locksley

With two sightings confirmed just last week, TWRA wildlife officers say cougars are back in Tennessee.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - With two sightings confirmed just last week, TWRA wildlife officers said cougars are back in Tennessee.

The rumors have been swirling around Tennessee for years.

"We get a lot of bobcats, we get a lot of black dogs that people think are cougars and they're not," said Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency spokesperson Doug Markham.

Markham said cougars roamed Tennessee around 100 years ago, but they were only confirmed big cats, until recently, at the zoo.

But based on recent video and pictures, a different version of the species from the western U.S. has returned. Western wild cougars have been captured on camera on multiple occasions.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local- ... ee-to-stay

MRUTVOL

W.Seay":246rfowq said:
I guess cougars are like vending machine...... they're cool to have around until they attack you :) all kidding aside, the thought of walking to my stands in the dark with a cougar sighting very close is a little alarming.I don't know what I would do if I saw one in person.

Although I do think there is a place for them here it still would concern me that WE as humans are on their menu in times of hunger. We most surely are not the T-Bone Steak of the menu but maybe the Chopped Steak or appetizer of it and I most definitely would not feel comfortable if I were to walk up on one. I know they are protected and unless threatened we are not to shoot one but unless it is walking away from me I would feel somewhat thretened just as I would swimming in a local stream and a gator coming my way . I am 63 yrs old so probably won't face that problem in my life time......I Hope!!

PillsburyDoughboy

Hello, everyone, this is your Cat Action Team News reporter with all the news
That is Cat News across the nation, on the scene In Humpryes County. There
Seems to have been some disturbance here. Pardon me, sir, did you see
What happened?
Yeah, I did. I's standin' overe there by the Ceders, and here he
Come, running through the greens, through the fruits and vegetables
Sleak as a snake . And I hollered over t' Ethel, I said, "Don't
Look, Ethel!" But it's too late, she'd already been exposed.
Here he comes, boogity boogity
There he goes, boogity boogity
And he ain't wearin' no collar
Oh, yes, they call him the Cougar
boogity boogity
Fastest thing on Four feet
boogity boogity
He's just as proud as he can be
Of his anatomy
He goin' give us a peek
Oh, yes, they call him the Cougar
boogity boogity
He likes to show off his physique
boogity boogity
If there's an audience to be found
He'll be strutin ' around
Invitin' public critique
This is your Cat Action Teamnews reporter once again, and we're here at the gas
Station. Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?
Yeah, I did. I's just in here gettin my car checked, he just appeared
Out of the traffic. Come struttin ' around the grease rack there, didn't
Have nothin' on but a snarl. I looked in there, and Ethel was gettin'
Her a cold drink. I hollered, "Don't look, Ethel!" But it was too
Late. She'd already been swatted. her right there in front of
The shock absorbers
Here he comes, boogity boogity
There he goes, boogity boogity
And he ain't wearin' no collar

gladeshunter

I grew up hunting in south Florida. Watched the cougar population down there grow from nearly exticnt to over populated. Saw many of them over the years while hunting, some as close as 50ft. Never feared them just respected the fact that they could kill me if they wanted to. The thing that they did was to decimate wildlife populations in the areas where their population was the densest. First they wiped out the armadillo's, good thing. next they wiped out the wild hogs, some think thats good others not. raccoon are nearly wiped out and they have severely impacted the deer population especially in the Big Cypress preserve. If you look at the deer harvest statistics in the Big Cypress you will see a drastic decline since around 2000 which is when the cougar population really started to get some traction. The deer harvest now is less than half what it was then. I have no problem with a few cougars , I have real problem with too many cougars. These cats are NOT afraid of people, in the last couple years I have had friends that were stalked by them while they were stalking a deer, had them come in on their decoys while turkey hunting, eat their dogs right in their backyards, walk down roads right in front of their vehicles for a hundred yards with NO fear of the large swamp buggy following them. Cougars will again become a part of the southeast as the feds look for places to expand the range of the ones in Florida with the hopes of getting them off the endangered species list. That in itself is a topic of discussion as the ones in Florida are no different than the ones in Texas, Montana, etc. Florida has just succumbed to the Federal Government bankroll and gone along with the charade that they are different. Hopefully Tennessee and Alabama don't do the same.

PillsburyDoughboy

gladeshunter":3irxgbi6 said:
I grew up hunting in south Florida. Watched the cougar population down there grow from nearly exticnt to over populated. Saw many of them over the years while hunting, some as close as 50ft. Never feared them just respected the fact that they could kill me if they wanted to. The thing that they did was to decimate wildlife populations in the areas where their population was the densest. First they wiped out the armadillo's, good thing. next they wiped out the wild hogs, some think thats good others not. raccoon are nearly wiped out and they have severely impacted the deer population especially in the Big Cypress preserve. If you look at the deer harvest statistics in the Big Cypress you will see a drastic decline since around 2000 which is when the cougar population really started to get some traction. The deer harvest now is less than half what it was then. I have no problem with a few cougars , I have real problem with too many cougars. These cats are NOT afraid of people, in the last couple years I have had friends that were stalked by them while they were stalking a deer, had them come in on their decoys while turkey hunting, eat their dogs right in their backyards, walk down roads right in front of their vehicles for a hundred yards with NO fear of the large swamp buggy following them. Cougars will again become a part of the southeast as the feds look for places to expand the range of the ones in Florida with the hopes of getting them off the endangered species list. That in itself is a topic of discussion as the ones in Florida are no different than the ones in Texas, Montana, etc. Florida has just succumbed to the Federal Government bankroll and gone along with the charade that they are different. Hopefully Tennessee and Alabama don't do the same.

Exactly as it's happened in other parts of the country .

This Cat Action Team can study this to they are blue in the face but if they don't let hunters shoot these animals on site they will take hold and become a problem in years to come . Mark my words on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRSJ35

remember they kill and eat a lot of deer.Between coyotes and the possible cougar population.It would certainly have an impact on deer population.

Locksley

I do not see cats messing up our deer herd now , we have lots of deer . It is not 1958 and deer are everywhere in TN now.

ImThere

DRSJ35":338y41hj said:
remember they kill and eat a lot of deer.Between coyotes and the possible cougar population.It would certainly have an impact on deer population.
They will eat more pets than deer.

the one and only "ImThere"

Latest posts