Cougar taken by Hunter in Tennessee

mathews338

It hasn't been that long ago, less than a year, that a ton of people on this very site would make stupid comments about Cougars being in this state. Wonder what think now?

Land Between the Lakes

A good question is if this cougar was taken by a hunter. Why was this not really made public before now?

According to the Biologist with the TWRA it's significant that a female was taken. Typically when cougars are confirmed in the Midwest or eastern states they are males. Males can travel long distances when looking for new territory to live in. If a female is confirmed it could potentially mean a chance of an actual population in an area.

Land Between the Lakes

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER":ynu8yfbf said:
catman529":ynu8yfbf said:
Fire ants, armadillos, now Cougars...won't be long before Sasquatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember a few years ago when people made fun of people that seen Amadillo.now they are everywhere

They are certainly everywhere just like you said. I see armadillos often hit on roads in and around LBL. I've seen several while hunting this area also. They are really expanding across western Kentucky. In recent years armadillos have actually been confirmed in southern Illinois and southwest Indiana so they are moving north.

PillsburyDoughboy

Markham said the bowhunter who shot the cougar reported the incident himself to TWRA officials. The specific circumstances haven't been revealed. While he believes charges in this case are unlikely, Markham said, "The case has been turned over to a District Attorney's office to determine whether or not he'll be prosecuted."

The butthurt is going to run deep with a few around here.

PillsburyDoughboy

gobblinfool":2bm0nv4c said:
I guess my question is.....why did he shoot her? Did he feel threatened?
You apparently have not been following the threads here.

When I spoke candidly to a small group of hunters without the social media pressure of TN deer all of them said if the cat came under their stand it was getting shot.

It appears the hunter in the article did not care about the backlash from TWRA when he shot the cougar.

Reading between the lines in the article it seems like TWRA is concerned that there is in FACT a possibility that there is the danger that these cougars could be moving into the area and could pose a risk to hunters.

"We're always happy to have wildlife in our state that was here historically, but we understand there could be concerns about it," said Markham.

Indeed, people who have been attacked (in some cases killed), by cougars might obviously be concerned.

scn

PillsburyDoughboy":8sxv2jlx said:
gobblinfool":8sxv2jlx said:
I guess my question is.....why did he shoot her? Did he feel threatened?
You apparently have not been following the threads here.

When I spoke candidly to a small group of hunters without the social media pressure of TN deer all of them said if the cat came under their stand it was getting shot.

It appears the hunter in the article did not care about the backlash from TWRA when he shot the cougar.

Reading between the lines in the article it seems like TWRA is concerned that there is in FACT a possibility that there is the danger that these cougars could be moving into the area and could pose a risk to hunters.

"We're always happy to have wildlife in our state that was here historically, but we understand there could be concerns about it," said Markham.

Indeed, people who have been attacked (in some cases killed), by cougars might obviously be concerned.

People die from a variety of things in the outdoors. Take a few minutes and check the numbers for death by lightening strikes, bee stings, drowning, etc, etc compared to cougar fatalities.

Millions of people recreate annually in areas with high cougar populations. But, the facts will show that a cougar attack is a major rarity.

The "fear factor" from this cat wandering through west TN is pretty laughable.

treefarmer

There is a photo of the Humphreys County cougar 3/4 mile from our property. I think it's great. I doubt I'll ever see one but just knowing they are out there makes it more exciting to be in the woods. Their territory is so large (13,000-50,000 ac) it won't have a big impact on any one property. They also eat wild hog and coyotes.

Latest posts