Still in rut by my house.

kaizen leader

A six yesterday would let his doe come up from the lake. Today a eight was following his doe along our front entry.

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 43022944_Unknown.jpeg
    43022944_Unknown.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 43022960_Unknown.jpeg
    43022960_Unknown.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 20

mike243

How would anybody know when to say ruts on? is it when the first doe comes in heat or 30% or what? I'm no scientist but common sense sez when the first 1 is bred it's on and when the last 1 is bred it's done, all this talk of 1 2 3 is just a guess imo. ymmv a buck will keep looking for doe in heat and he plays a part in the rut also?

Creek

How would anybody know when to say ruts on? is it when the first doe comes in heat or 30% or what? I'm no scientist but common sense sez when the first 1 is bred it's on and when the last 1 is bred it's done, all this talk of 1 2 3 is just a guess imo. ymmv a buck will keep looking for doe in heat and he plays a part in the rut also?

You are correct. We need more clarity.
Just started #2.7399% rut around my place 😂

I have no earthly idea, and I've wondered the exact same thing. Of course, I don't know squat about deer hunting other than how to kill, clean, and process a doe. I now have difficulty with that.

Ski

That would put rut from October to March! I've always defined rut as when the bucks are all running around crazy in daylight chasing does, making scrapes, rubs, etc. Although that stuff can happen anytime bucks are hard horned, there's a few week span of time where it's greatly amplified. That's how I've always seen it at least.

kaizen leader

That would put rut from October to March! I've always defined rut as when the bucks are all running around crazy in daylight chasing does, making scrapes, rubs, etc. Although that stuff can happen anytime bucks are hard horned, there's a few week span of time where it's greatly amplified. That's how I've always seen it at least.
When you look at new fawns well into July you know the rut goes for months. These two buck were active before a storm. The 6 point didn't slow down with lightning going off not far. The 8 was a day before the big front that just went through. No movement today. The bucks have been beamed back up. 😂

mike243

The way I look at it is if there is a fire in the stove do we say its not a fire because the flames are not as high? little flame big flame it's still a fire,

Big Pop

If there is such a thing it appears to me that we have a trickle rut going on this year at least where I hunt in SETN. Started early, still going on and I expect could go on for a while. Basing this on what others and myself have seen and the continuing buck sign which just really started showing up a few weeks ago.

Latest posts