College sports is dead

PillsburyDoughboy

I sorta have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I like the purity about college football and that kids (yes I just called them kids) should be playing with purity at the college level and playing college ball without out the punity of the money.

At least this way the players can now get the money above the table and the true stand out players that are deserving of the money can now get some money for their talents. Put some money away for the future if they don't necessarily plan to go into the NFL. Lets face it there are some really good stand out players that don't make it to the NFL that could sack away some pretty good money towards retirement with this .

As far as some of the complaints I see about travel and ticket prices...that left me a long time ago. I havent been to a ALABAMA game in years and honestly I don't see it happening probably ever again. I am just not going to pay those sort of prices when I have a very large and comfortable home theater to watch the game in. Yall have at it.

Bama is like the movie Blue Chips. But PDB saying purity is hilarious.
Funny how yall want to read what yall want to read but let me draw it in crayon and stick figures for yall.
"But lets face it. The money is there and has been there for years. Its just been slid under the table. If you think it hasent well your just playing dumb or you are just dumb."

BamaProud

I think I remember something about a fast-food clown paying Tennessee football players in paper bags.

Call me a homer, but there are schools that attract elite talent based on the potential to win regular season games, then bowl games/ playoff games, and high NFL daft likelihood. I know elite players get paid in NCAA football and basketball, but the ones that settle for a happy-meal full of cash are probably not the most confident that their talent will take them to the next level.

PalsPal

Funny how yall want to read what yall want to read but let me draw it in crayon and stick figures for yall.
"But lets face it. The money is there and has been there for years. Its just been slid under the table. If you think it hasent well your just playing dumb or you are just dumb."
Can you define "purity" (your words) in crayon and stick figure for me ;) :D !

bbqit

Put everybody that beat Alabama on probation for what everybody is doing then once they sniff Tuscaloosa it's "let's make it legal"

Mescalero

Let's say you got a "full-ride" academic scholarship. You could still receive a free laptop, paid internship in the Summer, and other benefits. Your classmates on the football, basketball, and fencing teams couldn't per NCAA rules. And per NCAA rules, most athletes can't get jobs in the off-season. They can only play ball, go to class, and make billions for the NCAA and it's member institutions, but can't get a dime of it. That's what the US Supreme Court case was about, and that case now stands for the rule of law that the NCAA doesn't have an antitrust exemption.

Name, image, and likeness is separate. 98.5% of this site proclaims to be free market Republicans, yet profess horror at the thought of a 20 year old maximizing profits on his or her NIL.

bbqit

Really! Isn't it about the education first and foremost?
We all would rather it be. Yet in its simplest of terms it's about learning to make money. Whether it's the rich boy who parties long enough to marry a rich girl or the young man whose mom works 3 jobs, no dad and he can throw a football. I still don't know if they are doing this right or not but I do know that after a kid has busted his butt for a year in the classroom and on the field, became a starter for the rival game and threw the winning td so we all could act like we are great only to find out he didn't have the money for a pizza and if you bought him one it broke ncaa rules. The ncaa brought all this on by being a Richard.

PillsburyDoughboy

Attachments

• 129853918_1027557897746270_8223497756674552495_n.jpg
    129853918_1027557897746270_8223497756674552495_n.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 41

PillsburyDoughboy

I think I remember something about a fast-food clown paying Tennessee football players in paper bags.

Call me a homer, but there are schools that attract elite talent based on the potential to win regular season games, then bowl games/ playoff games, and high NFL daft likelihood. I know elite players get paid in NCAA football and basketball, but the ones that settle for a happy-meal full of cash are probably not the most confident that their talent will take them to the next level.
Say it louder for those in the nose bleed section. They aint hearing you .

BamaProud

Say it louder for those in the nose bleed section. They aint hearing you .
No No No Saban is Satan, Bammer is evil!

PillsburyDoughboy

No No No Saban is Satan, Bammer is evil!

That's better LOL

bloodtrailing

About to put the "I" in team. When there are two or three guys making a lot of money the rest of the team will start to resent it. Why am I blocking for XX QB or XX Running Back when they get all the glory. It will change the locker room and not for the better. We tend to forget there are only a handful of marquee players. Less than 2 percent of players go on to the NFL. Some of those are not really noticed by the fans.

Mescalero

About to put the "I" in team. When there are two or three guys making a lot of money the rest of the team will start to resent it. Why am I blocking for XX QB or XX Running Back when they get all the glory. It will change the locker room and not for the better. We tend to forget there are only a handful of marquee players. Less than 2 percent of players go on to the NFL. Some of those are not really noticed by the fans.
Good point. The QB, RB, WR1, DE, star CB will earn more from their NIL than others.

But it's the same in the NFL, and they play hard. Plenty of incentives. Playoff bonuses, individual incentives. The better teams' players stand to earn more.

This is going to be messy at first. We are relying on the Feds to pass national legislation and the NCAA, but as usual it is abdicating it's responsibility. In the meantime, it's up to the individual states, as usual. Thing is, none of the NIL laws "authorize" student-athletes to earn comp from their NIL. That's a misnomer reported by the media. They are adults and can earn comp from legal endeavors. These laws only prohibit the schools, conferences, and NCAA from preventing that which every other American is free to do. The state laws also prohibit the schools or others to pay the players to attend or play for a school in the state. That will be enforced by state police and the AG's office, not the NCAA.

Bagmen. DONE!

Mescalero

This transfer portal has ruined it for me. I hate it. No loyalty at all.
Hmm.

Do you feel the same about coaches who leave for a better job, a promotion, more money? What about the students who transfer, because another school is closer to home, more affordable, better for their chosen major? It's just the student-athletes playing for free who must be loyal? To the team/school of which you are a fan?

DeerCamp

I know I am about to get blasted for this but college sports is dead. With the supreme court ruling it is going to open the flood gates for players to get paid. This is no sustainable between title 9 restrictions and others college football and basketball can not support this. This means that lots of sports will be cut. It is already an $800.00 endeavor for me to travel from Clarksville and see a UT game. I refuse to pay more money for this. Last year during Covid lockdowns college sports viewership was down. Now that Americans realize that there is more to life than sitting in front of the idiot box all day on Saturday I predict another drop in viewership. If universities start cutting other athletic programs that is not good for the track and field, golf, polo athlete or non revenue generating programs. If you pay every Tennessee football player $500.00 a month what is the total cost for every athlete that you also have to pay.
That's not really what the NIL is intended.

This money isn't really coming from schools. If you are a fan of capitalism, why shouldn't someone be able to use their name and likeness to make money?!?

Besides - this probably opens up the door for a new NCAA football game which we haven't seen since 2004 :)

Hmm.

Do you feel the same about coaches who leave for a better job, a promotion, more money? What about the students who transfer, because another school is closer to home, more affordable, better for their chosen major? It's just the student-athletes playing for free who must be loyal? To the team/school of which you are a fan?
Hmmmm.
I said loyalty. Loyalty doesn't matter if you play sports or not. There are players on their 3rd team in three years. They are ruining the sport to me. You can troll someone else.

Mescalero

That's not really what the NIL is intended.

This money isn't really coming from schools. If you are a fan of capitalism, why shouldn't someone be able to use their name and likeness to make money?!?

Besides - this probably opens up the door for a new NCAA football game which we haven't seen since 2004 :)
^^^^^ This ^^^^

When a person thinks they or something/someone they like/love benefits from the status quo, change to that status quo can be hard to accept.

NIL, the US Supreme Court ruling, and the transfer portal are all separate and unrelated, yet represent change to the status quo. Why should a college athlete not be allowed a paid internship or a free laptop when other non-student athletes are allowed those benefits? After the Court's ruling, the NCAA, conferences, and schools have to treat the student-athlete equal to all other students.

Student-athletes have always been allowed to transfer, but they couldn't play right away unless they had already graduated (see Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts). Who did that NCAA rule benefit? Not the student-athletes. Since January, the student-athlete now has a one-time opportunity to transfer without sitting out a year whether a grad transfer or not. The transfer portal is simply a database that facilitates transfer and identifies who is going to transfer so other schools can legally (under NCAA rules) contact the athlete. That's all it is. The better programs will take advantage of it, and we've already seen that occurring. Plus, a new head coach who will most likely have been hired after the December and February signing days, has a better chance to fill out his roster with some transfers, and we've seen a lot of that. And, if a coach can leave for more money or a better opportunity or a coach can get fired or a program can commit recruiting violations, why must the student-athletes be stuck in place, while the coaches and administrators can move on to a better situation? Let's punish the players for the sins of the staff and/or athletic department?

NIL is going to be messy at first, but I don't think it's going to lead to the enrichment of student-athletes that many fear or to the demise of college sports. As DeerCamp points out, the state NIL laws prohibit boosters and schools from paying the players. The state laws simply prohibit the NCAA, conferences, and schools from prohibiting players from making money off their NIL. It's the American way to earn a profit off your NIL. Why should these adults be prohibited from doing so? But we aren't going to see national brands like Coca Cola and Ford using 18 and 19 year olds to promote their very, very valuable brand. It will be a lot of local businesses, Instagram posts, Tweets, start up businesses. The players will now be able to profit off their social media posts, like any other social media influencer. But these players are also going to have to pay income tax on their earnings (and playing for and attending school at Florida, Tennessee, or Texas doesn't make one a resident of those states). The players are also going to be subject to various contractual provisions, and they better read the fine print. They will have responsibilities to uphold, perhaps morality clauses, and we all know how some of these 18, 19, 20 year olds behave.

I think college athletics is the strongest that it's ever been. I checked with my teenage son, and he said NCAA 2014 was the last EA Sports NCAA football game. It will be back in 2023.

Mescalero

Reading an unrelated story, and a thought occurred to me. I hope the student-athletes get good advice and that the schools provide for it. That unrelated story had a photo of a player and under it ran the name of the photographer and publication in which that photo first appeared. Now let's say that player posted that photo of himself in an Instagram post. That's probably fair use. But when he posts that photo catching a TD pass and is promoting say a sports beverage, that's commercial use and if he doesn't have permission or doesn't provide attribution, that's copyright infringement. Plus, his team Jersey, helmet, mascot, etc are all trademarked. His school will warn him. Once. The USA Today, Tennessean, Columbus Dispatch, AL.com will send a cease and desist letter followed by an enforcement action if he does it again. Players will get sued for infringement, violating endorsement contracts, and the IRS and state departments of revenue will enforce their bite.

All in all, a good thing IMO, but the kids gotta get good guidance.

Latest posts