College sports is dead

Rakkin6

I know I am about to get blasted for this but college sports is dead. With the supreme court ruling it is going to open the flood gates for players to get paid. This is no sustainable between title 9 restrictions and others college football and basketball can not support this. This means that lots of sports will be cut. It is already an $800.00 endeavor for me to travel from Clarksville and see a UT game. I refuse to pay more money for this. Last year during Covid lockdowns college sports viewership was down. Now that Americans realize that there is more to life than sitting in front of the idiot box all day on Saturday I predict another drop in viewership. If universities start cutting other athletic programs that is not good for the track and field, golf, polo athlete or non revenue generating programs. If you pay every Tennessee football player $500.00 a month what is the total cost for every athlete that you also have to pay.

PalsPal

Now that Americans realize that there is more to life than sitting in front of the idiot box all day on Saturday I predict another drop in viewership.
This will be a big factor. I know it has been for me.

But, the Supreme Court decision won't mean that schools will be paying. It will allow the athletes to make money from outside sources.

Will level the playing field with the Bamas of the world.

cbhunter

nothing to blast you on, I'm not sure it is good for the sport either. But like palspal said, this isn't money coming from the schools so no worries there.

I think some of your biggest names for the sport will make lots of money. Key positions will do well such as qb's, Rb's, wr's, big time lb's. Not sure linemen and punters etc will be making much money on their name.

Kirk

From what I read it sounds as if the Supreme Court ruling was on the players NIL "name, image and likeness" being licensed by the NCAA and the schools they attend. It did not address direct payments to athletes of salaries to attend a certain school. The NCAA was signing deals with major companies to use the elite players names and likeness on video games, jerseys, and other collectibles. NCAA was raking in billions of dollars a year. The ruling stated that the athlete could now be paid for the NIL agreements after July 1, 2021.

Yes, College Sports is screwed.

TNTreeman

FORMER vol fan here. It's been ruined for me since the coaches sold there souls, marched, and let the inmates run the prison. Afeletes and entertainers are mostly woke now and I have no use for them. Look at the young man just dismissed from ut. Highly ranked qb in trouble before ever even practicing. He tweeted out that he was open to talking to businesses in the area about making some money selling his likeness, a week later arrested for the second time after being reinstated for three weeks. Couldn't stay straight for three weeks! Yea it was just weed, no license, and no tail lights 🙄 but couldn't make it a week. These kids will take this new found money and get into even bigger messes. Money makes you more of what you already REALLY are. Cheering and bragging about some team you have NOTHING to do with as a grown up just seams strange to me now knowing these people wouldn't urinate on you if you were on fire .

bbqit

Let's see, can I make more money selling my jersey being 3rd string linebacker for Alabama or as a starter for msu? Guess were I go!

Gravey

On one hand I say pay them. It's hard to tell a kid he can't make any money when his coach is making 4 mil or more off of what he's doing. Yes he may be on a free ride but he may come from a family that has no money to help him. How's he supposed to go out on a date or anything outside of the university. On the other hand I say no as it's gonna continue the gap widening between schools. UT will be able to pay a kid but an Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech not so much. So as mentioned above you can be a starter at the smaller school and not get paid vs 3rd string making money at a major university.

PillsburyDoughboy

I sorta have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I like the purity about college football and that kids (yes I just called them kids) should be playing with purity at the college level and playing college ball without out the punity of the money. But lets face it. The money is there and has been there for years. Its just been slid under the table. If you think it hasent well your just playing dumb or you are just dumb.

At least this way the players can now get the money above the table and the true stand out players that are deserving of the money can now get some money for their talents. Put some money away for the future if they don't necessarily plan to go into the NFL. Lets face it there are some really good stand out players that don't make it to the NFL that could sack away some pretty good money towards retirement with this .

As far as some of the complaints I see about travel and ticket prices...that left me a long time ago. I havent been to a ALABAMA game in years and honestly I don't see it happening probably ever again. I am just not going to pay those sort of prices when I have a very large and comfortable home theater to watch the game in. Yall have at it.

Kirk

I don't think they should be paid to play for a team. I am torn on the NIL payments. Remember Marcus Lattimore that was the running back for South Carolina? He was a hot commodity for South Carolina and NCAA before he got hurt. His jerseys and memorabilia were selling like hotcakes. Literally 10's of millions of dollars were made on his name and likeness. He got hurt twice and never played a down in the NFL.

He was fortunate enough to have owned a specialized insurance policy that paid him a Million dollars if he got hurt and did not play in the NFL. At least he got that. I think the stipulation was he could not dress and play a single down in an NFL game to get the policy payment.

Rakkin6

On one hand I say pay them. It's hard to tell a kid he can't make any money when his coach is making 4 mil or more off of what he's doing. Yes he may be on a free ride but he may come from a family that has no money to help him. How's he supposed to go out on a date or anything outside of the university. On the other hand I say no as it's gonna continue the gap widening between schools. UT will be able to pay a kid but an Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech not so much. So as mentioned above you can be a starter at the smaller school and not get paid vs 3rd string making money at a major university.
Really the same way I went on a date has an 18 year old private in the Army. These guys do get $1000.00 a month stipend on top of everything for free. If they can make money off of NIL then so be it. But if you think this won't mean colleges are paying players you are mistaken. I made it on about $550.00 a month 15 years ago or so. And let's do the math right now there are over 180,000 division 1 and 2 athletes on scholarships run by the NCAA.

That's $2,160,000,000 a year being paid in cash to student athletes already. Explain to me how the NCAA can afford more money and keep all of the programs. You already have seen USC cut 12 programs from their athletic department. This means less opportunities for all races and genders to attend college. If you think ANY college can afford this I am willing to listen. The University of Tennessee alone has 700 athletes on full scholarship which costs over $9,000,000 a year in just stipends alone. So not including partial student athletes room and board medical etc what are they spending.

PillsburyDoughboy

I don't think they should be paid to play for a team. I am torn on the NIL payments. Remember Marcus Lattimore that was the running back for South Carolina? He was a hot commodity for South Carolina and NCAA before he got hurt. His jerseys and memorabilia were selling like hotcakes. Literally 10's of millions of dollars were made on his name and likeness. He got hurt twice and never played a down in the NFL.

He was fortunate enough to have owned a specialized insurance policy that paid him a Million dollars if he got hurt and did not play in the NFL. At least he got that. I think the stipulation was he could not dress and play a single down in an NFL game to get the policy payment.
You make a excellent point? Another example could be said for TUA. He got hurt towards the end of his last season. Some speculation that he might not be able to play in the NFL. Then what? He makes decent money with his degree the rest of his life? Sure. But not the sort of money he had pinned his hopes and dreams on. Had he had this in place the 4 years he was in college and gets hurt on the last game of the season and was unable to go to the NFL he would have likley been set for life.

Gravey

Really the same way I went on a date has an 18 year old private in the Army. These guys do get $1000.00 a month stipend on top of everything for free. If they can make money off of NIL then so be it. But if you think this won't mean colleges are paying players you are mistaken. I made it on about $550.00 a month 15 years ago or so. And let's do the math right now there are over 180,000 division 1 and 2 athletes on scholarships run by the NCAA.

That's $2,160,000,000 a year being paid in cash to student athletes already. Explain to me how the NCAA can afford more money and keep all of the programs. You already have seen USC cut 12 programs from their athletic department. This means less opportunities for all races and genders to attend college. If you think ANY college can afford this I am willing to listen. The University of Tennessee alone has 700 athletes on full scholarship which costs over $9,000,000 a year in just stipends alone. So not including partial student athletes room and board medical etc what are they spending.
Just to be clear I'm not saying pay or don't pay. Lots of moving parts and things to think through that I'm sure I don't think of. However for arguments sake the universities wouldn't pay them anymore than what they're getting now. The licensing company would be responsible for those payments the way I see it. I played college baseball but that was almost 30 years ago

You make a excellent point? Another example could be said for TUA. He got hurt towards the end of his last season. Some speculation that he might not be able to play in the NFL. Then what? He makes decent money with his degree the rest of his life? Sure. But not the sort of money he had pinned his hopes and dreams on. Had he had this in place the 4 years he was in college and gets hurt on the last game of the season and was unable to go to the NFL he would have likley been set for life.
That's the problem in my opinion…kids thinking they can play professional sports for 4-5 years and be set for life. Sure there's plenty that do but if you get hurt or don't play professionally for whatever reason do what the rest of us do and get a real job. They're not entitled to anything.

BamaProud

College sports aren't going anywhere. Its never been worth more money. Not to mention NCAA football/basketball are essentially the NFL's and NBA's "minor leagues" and the source of all of our Olympic athletes.

Last edited:

Latest posts