Catoosa WMA population?

Shanman

Just for curiosity and interested in what others think that hunt the area, thought I would ask the question. For those of you that hunt Catoosa in Turkey season, Bicolor, Peavine and Genesis sides, could you tell a difference in the Turkey population per area? I have always hunted Bicolor and Peavine (between Daddy's Creek and the Obed), never Genesis side of the Obed. Hunted a total of 6 days and NEVER saw the first Turkey track on the Bicolor side (East of Daddy's Creek). Did see one hen, but never a single track and not a gobble at sunrise or sunset. Bicolor has always had birds and certain areas have many gobblers, but I personally couldn't find any sign where traditionally there has always been sign. Now West of Daddy's Creek on the Peavine side, tracks everywhere and saw many hens. Wife and I took the new bike to Bicolor last weekend and put 30 miles on it, and again, never saw the first Turkey track. We rode Peavine and Genesis yesterday and saw tracks plus 4 different hens. Has me really wondering about the flock on the Bicolor side.
Side note, saw plenty of out of state tags over on Peavine too....Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Missouri. Guess they didn't realize that they had traveled a long ways to hunt the most pressured birds in the state. 😆
So for you guys that hunt the area, did you happen to notice the same thing?

HuntnFishEastTN

First year turkey hunting on catoosa was this year, me and dad went a couple of weekends, first weekend out, dad was calling and one answered quite a few hundred yards away, 30 seconds later he called again and BAM, 60 yards away different bird, gave us not even a minute to get set down. Bird came from out behind a tree 20 yards from me, and quickly tucked back in some thick stuff not giving me an oppurtunity for an ethical shot. This was all on Bi color, found many tracks, not a whole lot of scratching sign though. Also had a group of hens come by us early that morning. When all this happened was around 10 30 am.

Shanman

That's very encouraging to hear. I put in many miles by foot hunting and it hadn't rained in several days, should have been tracks on every two track that I walked.

megalomaniac

Please delete. Remember any internet scouter can find this post for the next 10 years.

The net isn't like what it used to be a decade ago. Overnight search engines can give anyone with a keyboard this info with a 10s search of Catoosa.

The only time I list a public area I kill one is a spot so devoid of turkeys it deserves credit. And a spot so terrible to hunt I could care less whether 50 out of state folks come and waste a weekend giving NR revenue to the game and fish dept. Use PMs to discuss specifics about spots on WMAs that may be good or bad otherwise

Shanman

Please delete. Remember any internet scouter can find this post for the next 10 years.

The net isn't like what it used to be a decade ago. Overnight search engines can give anyone with a keyboard this info with a 10s search of Catoosa.

The only time I list a public area I kill one is a spot so devoid of turkeys it deserves credit. And a spot so terrible to hunt I could care less whether 50 out of state folks come and waste a weekend giving NR revenue to the game and fish dept. Use PMs to discuss specifics about spots on WMAs that may be good or bad otherwise
You are exactly right and I wasn't thinking about hurting the area since "I" didn't encounter birds. Have seen many good trout streams ruined over folks posting specific stream names. My bad Mega, thank you for pointing it out. 👍
Now if someone could please delete this thread.....as I can't figure it out..... it would be much appreciated.

Latest posts