Alapaha River WMA

3399D9E9-A41C-43E6-B730-9548913210F6.jpeg

I get to go turkey hunting in the morning!

*Happy dance!*

That was a drive!

5B83248B-B39E-467E-ACC3-57072A5BF609.jpeg

Got a late start. Just getting here. Stay tuned. Hopefully I get to post a picture in the morning. šŸ˜¬

Well, let me close this chapter.

I can sum up my hunting this week with one of my favorite phrases,

"God loved me enough to call me to Tennessee!"

After seeing only 2 birds Monday I decided to drive @ an hour to a WMA I hunted for 7 years when we lived in Douglas before moving to TN. That's where I saw the 2 sounders of wild hogs. I visited areas I have killed turkeys before. These areas are usually eat up with sign and tracks. 2 of the locations, one of which was an established strutting zone the 7 years I hunted there, the other the slough where I found the hogs, neither place had a single turkey track.

So, either I have forgotten everything I knew about turkey hunting, could be, I get older every year, LOL, or GA is in much worse shape than TN when it comes to turkey population.

I never heard a turkey, only saw three total, and very little sign.

I don't regret the trip. It was good to get out in the woods. I stopped and visited some friends. I'm preaching for a good friend of mine tonight. That makes the trip worth the drive!

Sure wish I could have at least talked to one. I REALLY can't wait for Saturday now. LOL

Hope everyone has a great season!!

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Out of curiosity looked it up; Alapaha WMA 6870ac and last year 81 turkeys were killed. I'd say covering lots of ground is a good plan. Good luck.
I'm not sure this is correct..

I see 3 draw hunts with 15 folks each

There are a couple WMAs of similar size relatively close to me. 5 to 10 birds total off 10,000 acres is average

Latest posts