Chuck Swan WMA

the deerslayer

I got drawn for chuck swan April 7-9. Thinking about camping at the entrance of the property. Anybody gone this route? Pros/cons? I'm really looking forward to hunting this place!

deerfever

Nice little camping area and obviously you wouldn't have to get up as early and drive back and forth. I am sure it would be enjoyable. I guess one con might be the cell service can be very sketchy right in that area.

the deerslayer

Thanks fellas. No cell service might be a nice thing! Time to unplug and relax. Next question, anyone else get drawn for this hunt? This will be the first time for me setting foot on this property. Looks like there might be some rugged terrain from the maps.

RobDooley

The old Central Peninsula. I deer hunted there once over thirty years ago and swore I would never go back. Younggun is right, it is a race when they open the gate. Not trying to discourage you, go hunt and enjoy.

Displaced_Vol

What time do they start lining up? Is this gonna be the terrestrial version of the Arkansas boat races???

I'm gonna scout at least one full day sometime mid March, ish. I'll probably stay with family in the area & have a 30ish minute drive. Don't know I may try and camp out there but with having to quit at noon I may as well go fish or visit the fam in the afternoon. I don't have high expectations for killing but I don't get to hunt places like this much anymore so It'll be a good time.
Like I said in another thread this is where some of my family were displaced by TVA so I'm excited to go hunt it for no other reason than that.

utvolsfan77

The old Central Peninsula. I deer hunted there once over thirty years ago and swore I would never go back. Younggun is right, it is a race when they open the gate. Not trying to discourage you, go hunt and enjoy.
Wow, I haven't heard it called that in 30 years! lol Our dad used to drive down there a lot in the 1960s and 1970s scouting. On the weekends we stayed with him, we would go with him and always saw deer. Through the late 1970s and early 1980s, that was probably a person's best chance of getting a deer here in upper East Tennessee.

MickThompson

What time do they start lining up? Is this gonna be the terrestrial version of the Arkansas boat races???

I'm gonna scout at least one full day sometime mid March, ish. I'll probably stay with family in the area & have a 30ish minute drive. Don't know I may try and camp out there but with having to quit at noon I may as well go fish or visit the fam in the afternoon. I don't have high expectations for killing but I don't get to hunt places like this much anymore so It'll be a good time.
Like I said in another thread this is where some of my family were displaced by TVA so I'm excited to go hunt it for no other reason than that.
If you've gotta be first I suppose you can sleep in the truck

deerfever

The other approach is just let the blast off get out of the way and ease in wherever no one is parked! Avoid the madness! Even if your first to a spot some guys will pull in right with you. I have done it both ways, just a matter of how you want to approach it.

Last edited:

mike243

Last 2 times I was drawn I arrived at 230 am the first time and was 20-30 trucks in front of me, the last time was the last year it was a bonus buck, got there at 130am and there was a truck blocking the gate, couldn't see if anybody was in it or not, about 5am and the line was out of site a car passed everybody and let 2 guys out at the gate, they climbed in the truck, had I known about that he would have had the air let out of a couple tires. That was and will be my last hunt for any big game there, lot of tree stands that have been there forever and would bet if you set in 1 somebody would be along and tell you it was theirs

Displaced_Vol

The other approach is just let the blast off get out of the way and ease in wherever no one is parked! Avoid the madness! Even if your first to a spots some guys will pull in right with you. I have done it both ways, just a matter of how you want to approach it.
That's what I'm thinking, at least for day one.
I was planning on having a full list of spots anyway, sounds like a body will need it. Plans A-J.

Carlos

Last 2 times I was drawn I arrived at 230 am the first time and was 20-30 trucks in front of me, the last time was the last year it was a bonus buck, got there at 130am and there was a truck blocking the gate, couldn't see if anybody was in it or not, about 5am and the line was out of site a car passed everybody and let 2 guys out at the gate, they climbed in the truck, had I known about that he would have had the air let out of a couple tires. That was and will be my last hunt for any big game there, lot of tree stands that have been there forever and would bet if you set in 1 somebody would be along and tell you it was theirs
That was pretty inconsiderate of them.
I would have knocked on the window and found out it was sitting there empty.

mike243

I wouldn't ever cause any damage that might cost somebody $ but letting air out of the valve core so its to low to drive would delay them awhile lol

Latest posts