Catoosa WMA - First Draw

KanatiQuestTN

This is my first draw for Catoosa. I live too far away to get some boots on the ground scouting in. I would like to know if the Obed River is safe to Kayak down during non-daylight hours and how swift the current is/what direction it travels. Does anyone have any experience hunting off that river? Any advice will help. Just don't wanna load up the Kayak if it would be pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. That river might be barely flowing and you'll be dragging constantly or whitewater depending on when it last rained. The substrate is best described as snot covered bowling balls and if you get in trouble you better have a plan besides using your cell phone because there's no coverage down in the gorge.

KanatiQuestTN

Haha ok thanks! Are there decent roads to get within range of the river? I don't have a vehicle with 4WD. Just not really sure what to expect.

MickThompson

I wouldn't want to be on the river for the sake of getting in and getting a deer out. Lots of vertical bluffs right to the water. Now if you can find a break in a bluff line that deer will pas through, it might be gold.

KanatiQuestTN

Thanks for the input! I'm looking forward to the challenge. Wish I had an entire week to figure things out. I wish the draw hunts were longer. 3 days will be tough.

Widowmaker

I've done exactly one hunt at Catoosa and can tell you that the kayak is no bueno. I scouted around the river some and the parts I looked at were vertical bluffs. The roads were dirt/gravel and in great shape when I was there. You might have to walk a bit, but it is pretty accessible.

Carlos

Has anybody been scouting out there yet?
I'm seeing mostly Hogs, coyotes, and turkeys so far. The deer seem to be last on the list of critters.

Mr.Bro

The "Devils Breakfast Table" on the Obed, took my brothers life over 40 years ago. He was a very experienced white water kayaker and knew the Obed well.
Daylight hours you had better know it well. Darkness is not even thinkable.
Good luck.

Latest posts