Catoosa

Volbuck777

I've seen 13, that's by far the best ever here for me. 3 of the 4 were legal bucks but 3 of 4 were also seen on scout day. I saw the 4th this morning and could've shot him but he was a young deer. Taking away a bonus tag saved him. I've noticed they're very vocal and I've called in most every deer I've seen from the stand, even rattled a small 4 in. The bear are getting out of hand here and had one belly growl at me yesterday morning. Also had one come walking in on me yesterday evening. He/she was decent size I'm thinking 250-300. I'll try to upload a video. By the way I'm hunting with 3 other guys and they've seen 2 small bucks between the 3 of them. People aren't happy with where this WMA has ended up. Can't say I blame them.

killingtime 41

What would make it an amazing place. I hunt it also every year. And also hear lots and lots of complaints. Wondering what other folks think would turn back into a no complaint type of area. I know fields are mostly unplanted and overgrown these days. And No longer a bonus buck. And it's logged to death

Volbuck777

DF317909-38E3-4304-BB2B-1ED081BE1382.jpeg

Volbuck777

What would make it an amazing place. I hunt it also every year. And also hear lots and lots of complaints. Wondering what other folks think would turn back into a no complaint type of area. I know fields are mostly unplanted and overgrown these days. And No longer a bonus buck. And it's logged to death
I'm not against the bucks going against statewide limit as long as they would go in and manage the area better. I've hunted this wma for a long time and it gets worse every year. I believe they need to get real serious about the hog problem first and foremost.I'm not talking about Billy bob shooting one while deer hunting I'm talking eradicating the problem. I believe they should clean up and plant plots like you said and which we here every year, but I'm telling you it's less and less, very little planting happened. I'm not sure how it works but why couldn't they let agriculture come into the area it's not that the land won't grow it. My family had a few 100 acres on potato farm road which touched catoosa and cropped every year. Catoosa is 80,000 acres and half is a cutover. You could clean up and have 5-10k acres of ag spread throughout. I believe we'd see a jump in the deer herd. Quality and quantity. By the way I'm from sevier county and I'll tell y'all where bear get out of hand deer leave that area. Might take a year or so but bear push deer out.

deerfever

I hunted Catoosa back in the 80s all the fields were planted in some form or another and looked great. Now a man is hard pressed to find anything.in most of them, especially on the Bi Color side. Not bad mouthing or anything but I wish they kept the fields like back then. I was up last year and couldn't believe how some of the places that I hunted as a young man look at this point. Good luck to those hunting this weekend.

killingtime 41

I'm not against the bucks going against statewide limit as long as they would go in and manage the area better. I've hunted this wma for a long time and it gets worse every year. I believe they need to get real serious about the hog problem first and foremost.I'm not talking about Billy bob shooting one while deer hunting I'm talking eradicating the problem. I believe they should clean up and plant plots like you said and which we here every year, but I'm telling you it's less and less, very little planting happened. I'm not sure how it works but why couldn't they let agriculture come into the area it's not that the land won't grow it. My family had a few 100 acres on potato farm road which touched catoosa and cropped every year. Catoosa is 80,000 acres and half is a cutover. You could clean up and have 5-10k acres of ag spread throughout. I believe we'd see a jump in the deer herd. Quality and quantity. By the way I'm from sevier county and I'll tell y'all where bear get out of hand deer leave that area. Might take a year or so but bear push deer out.
I think sharecropping is a great idea. Cant imagine why they never thought of that. Big fields of soybeans and corn wouldn't cost the TWRA. I really don't understand why they won't plant the fields. But I've asked them why not more fields planted. Answer I got was biologist say an unplanned field doesn't mean there isn't good there. 80 or more percent of the deers diet is browse. And it more important to have the browse than it is fields planted. I also asked about hogs and was told they trap lots of them every year. I can't prove any of this. But that's the answers I got.

Volbuck777

Im in a hot spot. I ended up seeing 3 more bucks and a doe this evening. The last buck I saw was well over 100 inches and was chasing the doe. I couldn't get on him and they left in a hurry. Maybe I'll get him tomorrow. It's been a great hunt for me but I've yet to talk to someone else that's not discouraged and some just mad. I hate for them because it just seems it gets worse every time I come. 13 kills is a terrible number. It's down right embarrassing

MickThompson

I think sharecropping is a great idea. Cant imagine why they never thought of that. Big fields of soybeans and corn wouldn't cost the TWRA. I really don't understand why they won't plant the fields. But I've asked them why not more fields planted. Answer I got was biologist say an unplanned field doesn't mean there isn't good there. 80 or more percent of the deers diet is browse. And it more important to have the browse than it is fields planted. I also asked about hogs and was told they trap lots of them every year. I can't prove any of this. But that's the answers I got.
Farmers can't make a living on those little fields in Catoosa if they got em for free. They'd go broke just hauling equipment. TWRA would have to spend $1000s per acre to destump after cutting. Doesn't make sense for them either.

jc0313

Not much sense in planting until they deal with the hog problem like you said.

tanasirivertea

Last year they allowed dog hunts for hogs and they harvested plenty but really just a drop in the bucket. Between hogs and bears, deer herd is gonna get thin up there. They should've already started letting bear hunts be more than just a 30 day archery season or whatever. I love catoosa. Killed my first good buck there. Big bodied 3yr old with nice mass. But also I kinda like food plots on public land for one reason...it congregates hunters more than deer! So I can go find the big bucks that'd never approach a blowed out food plot and at the same time not feel crowded lol

Latest posts