Can you recomend a GPS

Coondog

I have had several GPS units over the years and most did way more than I needed and some didn't do what I needed when I needed it. I use two GPS systems now and one is the Garmin Astro which track me and my dogs so neither one of us are ever lost. What I really want to share is the BUSHNELL BACKTRACK that just came out. They are so simple anyone can use one and they make finding your way back to the truck or to your stand so simple. They only store three marked locations and have two buttons to use. You can get one for less than $70 so there is never any need to be lost again.
http://www.conkeyshoundsupply.com/Backtrack.html

stik

Coondog said:
I have had several GPS units over the years and most did way more than I needed and some didn't do what I needed when I needed it. I use two GPS systems now and one is the Garmin Astro which track me and my dogs so neither one of us are ever lost. What I really want to share is the BUSHNELL BACKTRACK that just came out. They are so simple anyone can use one and they make finding your way back to the truck or to your stand so simple. They only store three marked locations and have two buttons to use. You can get one for less than $70 so there is never any need to be lost again.
http://www.conkeyshoundsupply.com/Backtrack.html

that looks about as simple as it gets.

holstonangler

I've used the Lowrance Ifinder models for years and they are easy to figure out and very reliable. They come in several models depending on what you want out of a gps.

gil1

About 10 months ago, I started researching and learning about GPS systems. Here's what amazes me. People buy Garmins. Lots of them!

The strange thing is that they have the worst mapping software of all of the systems I tried, and I tried a ton of them. They have excellent units, but the units are only as good as the maps.

If you want to get from here to Florida by interstate, the Garmin maps are fine. If you want to mark your hunting property, they are absolutely the worst. The contour (elevation lines) are every 50 feet, so unless you're mapping out very mountainous terrain, the map looks like a flat Nebraska cornfield.

The good news - Because their maps are so comparatively awful, Garmin is furiously trying to upgrade. They already have a few western states done and should have the rest of the US done in the next 5 years. I don't know if that mapping software will be compatible with the present Garmin units, though.

When they get the upgrade and assuming there are no major glitches, they will be at the top of the class. For now, though, they are pretty bad. When I went to buy, I ranked 7 different brands. Garmin came in last.

gator-n-buck

I use the backtrack and it don't get any easier than that device. I have two Garmin Gps Radios (120&130) and they have too many buttons. The BackTrack wll log three location, Point an arrow towards the location, and count down the yards. It only has two buttons and it has no problem picking up satelite reception (even indoors).

ewc

gil-

Make your own custom maps for the garmin-

Do a search for garmin custom maps.

I made one for my area in Scott County that looks just like the 7.5 minute topos (1:24,000) with contours every 20'.

gil1

ewc said:
gil-

Make your own custom maps for the garmin-

Do a search for garmin custom maps.

I made one for my area in Scott County that looks just like the 7.5 minute topos (1:24,000) with contours every 20'.

I've already bought another brand unit, but I'm curious as to how you do that with the Garmin. Maybe I totally missed the reason folks don't mind the terrible Garmin software. Maybe there's another way. Can you upload these maps on your Garmin, then mark trails and waypoints on it, then save it all back on to the computer so you can print it out?

ewc

Yep. Best of all (to me anyway) is its just like holding a 24,000 series topo in your hands.

Take a while to make. You have to pull data from several places, but its free and in the end, much better than anything else I've seen.

If you wanted, I think you can have contours set for whatever you like. I set mine for 20'.

Check out his website, it will show you map details and step-by-step instructions.

Tiny

ewc said:
Yep. Best of all (to me anyway) is its just like holding a 24,000 series topo in your hands.

Take a while to make. You have to pull data from several places, but its free and in the end, much better than anything else I've seen.

If you wanted, I think you can have contours set for whatever you like. I set mine for 20'.

Check out his website, it will show you map details and step-by-step instructions.

Do mind sharing that web site again or any other how too's??

ewc

Tiny-

I don't think tndeer will let me post the site address.

All my info is at work and I'll gladly send you an email with site address and anything else I can think of.

If you'll do a search for "garmin custom maps" - all the info you need will be found in the first site, I think it has an address with roadrunner in it.

If you need more, I can email you tomorrow.

You can make EXTREMELY detailed maps with his instructions.

Really takes the garmin to another level and I've owned 3 different GPS.

ewc

Saved you some time - found the site and pm'd the address.

Let me know if you need some help-

Judd

Latest posts