Tractor supply 50 caliber ammo can review.

I saw one of these at Tractor Supply on sale for $8.99, and having heard good things about knockoff Chinese ammo cans I couldn't resist grabbing one for that price.

20231103_094913.jpg

Turns out, there's a reason they're $8.99.

It passed the 10-minute shower test. Sealed up with cans and pieces of paper towel to see if there's a leak, from direct "rain", I even moved the angles around so water would come in at different directions.

Passed. 100%

No water whatsoever inside of the container. That thick gasket looks like it's doing its job.
20231102_164423.jpg

Now for the real test, submerging. I have never seen an ammo can fail this horrifically this quickly. Within just a few seconds of being dunked I could hear water sloshing around in the bottom, and the towels were so saturated with water I could ring them out.

20231102_154129.jpg
20231102_152249.jpg
20231102_154049.jpg

I give this a 4/10. It would be great for storing things inside of your home where they could potentially get dripped on or a little damp, but if it goes overboard or is submerged everything inside is trashed. It feels very durable, and locks up pretty tightly, That's how it retains its four stars, otherwise it would be none.

20231102_152344.jpg

Omega

All ammo cans will leak eventually. I had a bunch of GI ammo cans that I used when I was into geocaching, they would hang on for a bit, but after awhile, the contents would get soaked. I think it's the pressure differential that sucks in the moisture along with condensation. Never tried dunking them, but I bet a few would fail too. The best ones were the tubes like the one below, but they are not very practical for everyday use.

1699041640179.png

All ammo cans will leak eventually. I had a bunch of GI ammo cans that I used when I was into geocaching, they would hang on for a bit, but after awhile, the contents would get soaked. I think it's the pressure differential that sucks in the moisture along with condensation. Never tried dunking them, but I bet a few would fail too. The best ones were the tubes like the one below, but they are not very practical for everyday use.

View attachment 201457
I've heard of people using schedule 80 PVC and CPVC pipe for long-term ammo storage. A dry day with some good glue and that thing wouldn't come open for years, even under varying atmospheric pressures and conditions. I work on swimming pools, and that PVC can take a brutal beating before failure. If you wanted to be extra careful, you could seal the ammunition before it's put in the tube with some kind of plastic. You would have to cut it to open it every time, but if you're going for a LONG-term, that shouldn't matter.

I guess it really just depends on what your definition of long-term is. Is you intend to keep it in your safe for the next few years, or are you preparing for a bug out that might not happen for another 50, that requires you digging out your hidden ammo cache.

Gravey

Lone Hunter

As far as the pvc there was some guys at one time putting a nipple ( don't know how) on the pvc pipe sch 40 and sealing it with Nitrogen. They said the Nitrogen helped in long term storage. Don't know if it does or don't work but I would be concerned about the Nitrogen leaking out. They sealed the ammo in sealed food saver bags and put it in the pvc.Just a thought..

As far as the pvc there was some guys at one time putting a nipple ( don't know how) on the pvc pipe sch 40 and sealing it with Nitrogen. They said the Nitrogen helped in long term storage. Don't know if it does or don't work but I would be concerned about the Nitrogen leaking out. They sealed the ammo in sealed food saver bags and put it in the pvc.Just a thought..
They do something similar with argon gas at wineries. To keep the wine from spoiling they inject argon into the bottle, and because it's heavier than air it creates an oxygen barrier.

I think a lot of the quality of storage comes down to the conditions when everything is stored. Is it humid, is it hot, is it dry, is it raining? All of those things would play big factors in long-term storage of a sealed piece of pipe. If the humidity is too high in the pipe, whether water gets in or not you're going to have rust issues.

Latest posts