Can you recomend a GPS

rocky_top_cop

I'm thinking of purchasing a GPS. The problem is that I have never used one and wonder how easy they are to use. I want one that is reliable and easy to use. I dont care to spend a little extra if it is simple to use and reliable. I also wonder if I purchase one if I'm gonna have to purchase software separate and wonder if its something I can hook up to my computer and download updates. If anyone can give me some advice please do. ...THANKS

Chaneylake

also check out the delormn pn-20, they have a good deal going right now, easily download all gps points onto computer, can buy aerial photos on line for $0.75 each, minimum $10.00 purchase, makes it real easy to look where you have been on computer screen with all your gps points posted ontop of aerial

Plott 1

I also love my Garmin 60 I purchased my off of E-bay and got a lot better deal. I also have the new Garmin Mapsource which has the Google Earth option although some areas like most of the Cherokee National Forest will not zoom in as clear but you can still get the layout of the terrain

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I just use the Garmin Etrex.
Got it at Gander Mountain for $88.00
Nothing fancy, but it will keep you going in the right direction.

In_my_sights

Macon,Davidson, and anywhere else I can hunt
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=351

I have this one and got it from Amazon for about 170.00 cheaper than the MSRP listed.
You can buy maps (street, topo, or lake maps)
I love it you can build waypoints on your computer then upload them to the unit, and vise versa. You can get the mapsource software pretty cheap.
I would try and find it online.

gil1

In_my_sights said:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=351

I have this one and got it from Amazon for about 170.00 cheaper than the MSRP listed.
You can buy maps (street, topo, or lake maps)
I love it you can build waypoints on your computer then upload them to the unit, and vise versa. You can get the mapsource software pretty cheap.
I would try and find it online.

I'm sort of looking into stepping up to a GPS too, but I mostly want it for hunting - I need to map out logging trails, rublines, property boundaries, etc. on a couple of deer and turkey leases. Then, overlay these trails to a computer, map it, print it, etc. I'd like it for the water, too, but mostly land.

The description on the unit you recommended goes out of its way to say this unit is mostly for marine use. Could I use it easily for either application? Don't really have a clue what the difference would be.

Thanks.

Hogbear

gil1 said:
I'm sort of looking into stepping up to a GPS too, but I mostly want it for hunting - I need to map out logging trails, rublines, property boundaries, etc. on a couple of deer and turkey leases. Then, overlay these trails to a computer, map it, print it, etc. I'd like it for the water, too, but mostly land.

The description on the unit you recommended goes out of its way to say this unit is mostly for marine use. Could I use it easily for either application? Don't really have a clue what the difference would be.

Thanks.

The Garmin 76 series and the 60 series are basically the same units but in a different case. The 76 is a little larger but will float if dropped in the water. The 60 is shaped to fit in the hand better and is still waterproof but will sink if dropped in the water. They can both use the Garmin topo land or the water chart mapsource sofware.

Matador

If you are a gadget man, buy one that you can download everything and play with it. If you just want it to mark a few stands and find your way, the etrex or legend either one will do.

gil1

Matador - I'm GPS illiterate. Please explain. You can't download from an etrex or legend?
I'm a gadget man, but I just have never used this gadget. I want to play around with stuff, but I don't want to have to be a brain surgeon to do it.

thebeard

i got a garmin etrex summit hc and it rules. you can interface w/ the computer and all that stuff. and i got the us topo 2008 from mapsource. and its great soft ware as well. pm me if you have specific questions.

rocky_top_cop

I ended up going with the etrex summit HC it came with topo 2008... once I played with it for a couple days I figured it out and I think its gonna work great for my use...Thanks for all the advice !!!

Matador

gil1 said:
Matador - I'm GPS illiterate. Please explain. You can't download from an etrex or legend?
I'm a gadget man, but I just have never used this gadget. I want to play around with stuff, but I don't want to have to be a brain surgeon to do it.
Probably didn't explain very well. yeah you can get cable and software to download in both etrex and legend. I consider these two just good basic GPS units. You can buy more expensive units that will have a lot more capability with software and downloading. A lot of guys like to play with this technology. I have an etrex and a buddy has the legend. Both units do all we want by marking stands and finding them and keep us from getting lost. Only time we use them is during deer season.

Chaneylake

gil1 said:

delorme.com look at pn 20, easy as pie to use. downloads straight to aerial photos that you can purchase from delorme for $0.75 each, $10.00 minimum purchase. i am not a brain surgeon at all, have a hard time finding a bandaid.

LCU

RUGER said:
I just use the Garmin Etrex.
Got it at Gander Mountain for $88.00
Nothing fancy, but it will keep you going in the right direction.

That's the one I use.
Every time I think about upgrading, I decide to stay with it,because it's simple,and it works for hunting and fishing very well. I have all my stand locations marked,and routes to get to any of them in the dark.
I bought the yellow one. The camo is easily lost.

rldel

I have the blue one. can't remember what they can't call it. has basic highway map which is handy in the hunting truck on roadtrips. upload my GA maps and waypoints. Can take them back out if running low on memory and then restore them before the next trip.

Latest posts