build or buy tower?

gatodoc

Ours are just ladder for now. But one of our hunters can no longer climb ladders, so we're looking at making stairs, although they will be steep stairs. Someone posted a picture like that a while ago, but can't remember who.

We do have two "built" towers, with full stairs with typical runners, but those stairs and runners were astronomically expensive due to the long runners.
I make my steps out of 2x6 between the runners under the door. I've got a couple I've installed the "porch" from southern outdoor technologies.

Attachments

• EE439410-78AF-4441-8203-7E2C3945DB5C.jpeg
    EE439410-78AF-4441-8203-7E2C3945DB5C.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ADAD1778-E51A-4735-A279-4C42A2E12D79.jpeg
    ADAD1778-E51A-4735-A279-4C42A2E12D79.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 82

hammer33

Ours are just ladder for now. But one of our hunters can no longer climb ladders, so we're looking at making stairs, although they will be steep stairs. Someone posted a picture like that a while ago, but can't remember who.

We do have two "built" towers, with full stairs with typical runners, but those stairs and runners were astronomically expensive due to the long runners.
I like the SC so far. Im thinking of getting the SC, add the 4x4 legs, then build a landing out from the door and a ladder with hand rails. Can be pretty steep like Treeman's set up as long as it has handrails and a landing. I want a solid hand hold when backing down the first step.

BigDave12

Unfortunately, I don't own the land on which I hunt. Have never been able to afford to buy my own piece of heaven. So, I have built many different shooting house over the years - most of which I had to leave when the lease terminated. Only had this happen twice but man it hurt because they were nice shooting houses I had to leave behind.

The 3 I just built are really neat though and are "portable" for me now. I found someone selling used scaffolding. Bought 4 sets (6' high walk-thru scaffolding) for $30 each. Built 3 top platforms out of 6 sheets of 3/4" plywood (2 bolted together per scaffold set) with PT 2x4 "underside" framing. This gave me a 8'x8' solid platform U-bolted to the top of a 5x7 scaffold set that is 6' high. Do the math and you will see that 2 side have an 18" overhang and the other 2 only have 6" overhangs. I positioned the set up so that the 18" overhangs are the "sides" of my finished blind and the 6" overhangs are the front and back sides. I then added a 6'x6' pop up blind to the platform and instead of staking it down, I screwed it down to the platform. Notice the 6'x6' size fits nicely on that size platform and is shifted slightly forward on the platform to allow for a landing area before entering the blind. Added a used ladder for entry (used 16' adjustable ladders give you two 8' pieces that work well).

In all, I bought the blinds on sale for $69.99/each at end of last season. Bought the scaffold for $30.00/set. Framing required 10 (5 per sheet of plywood) PT 2x4s at $5/each at HD ($60 with tax). The plywood was given to me but is about $40/sheet ($80/blind set up; you can use 1/2" if you want but I'm a bigger guy so I went with 3/4"). I also added indoor/outdoor carpet to the plywood deck ($29/roll from an Ollie's Outlet we have here - Big Lots has the same stuff usually). I have about $275 in each setup and these are now "portable" for me. The ladders can be bought from numerous places with people looking to get rid of some. I also used 4 of those screw-in ground anchors at each corner (that can be used for tethering animals too) and attached cabling/chains with turn buckles in the middle for tightening. This hold the whole unit down in case of high winds.

Just an old redneck that found a way to make something pretty nice but still portable too.

BSK

I like the SC so far. Im thinking of getting the SC, add the 4x4 legs, then build a landing out from the door and a ladder with hand rails. Can be pretty steep like Treeman's set up as long as it has handrails and a landing. I want a solid hand hold when backing down the first step.
That's why we added handholds to the outside of our SC stands. Used a piece of plywood as the backing for the screws.

Attachments

• Towers5.jpg
    Towers5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 37

Omega

That's why we added handholds to the outside of our SC stands. Used a piece of plywood as the backing for the screws.
We should start a thread for tips and tricks for stands, this one is a great idea I think I'll use on mine. I plan on adding curtains inside my stand, simple camo burlap with 550 cord weaved through the top. I will start with 3m adhesive hooks to see how they hold up, but may have to use screws if the heat gets to them. At first I was going to use the sprayed-on tint but reading up on it I changed my mind, it didn't last according to some reviews..

BSK

We should start a thread for tips and tricks for stands, this one is a great idea I think I'll use on mine. I plan on adding curtains inside my stand, simple camo burlap with 550 cord weaved through the top. I will start with 3m adhesive hooks to see how they hold up, but may have to use screws if the heat gets to them. At first I was going to use the sprayed-on tint but reading up on it I changed my mind, it didn't last according to some reviews..
Excellent idea! And we should pin it to the top of this section.

Here's another. For those who have problems with their tower blinds sounding like a huge bass drum if they accidentally kick an inside wall, I use egg-crate foam to silence the lower sections of the inner walls. Only needs to go up a foot or so off the floor. It has an adhesive backing.

Amazon product ASIN B00P8NWEMG

BSK

Omega

My wooden stand would get a few wasp nests but I treat it with Ortho's Home Defense and it has dealt with them pretty good. I also get a ton of Japanese beetles, like lady bugs, and it cuts down their number quite a bit. I don't know how good it will work on plastic but I will give it a try, but did receive the same pest strip tip from Gatodoc, and have it saved on Amazon just in case. I will check mid-august to see what has creeped in there to see how to proceed.
1690824298179.png

cecil30-30

BSK

My wooden stand would get a few wasp nests but I treat it with Ortho's Home Defense and it has dealt with them pretty good. I also get a ton of Japanese beetles, like lady bugs, and it cuts down their number quite a bit. I don't know how good it will work on plastic but I will give it a try, but did receive the same pest strip tip from Gatodoc, and have it saved on Amazon just in case. I will check mid-august to see what has creeped in there to see how to proceed.
View attachment 188511
My SC stands were bug free after hanging the pest strip. Lots of dead bugs in the carpet I had to vacuum up though!

gatodoc

Good idea.....We added 20# propane bottles to several of ours to run the buddy heaters. Mounted them on the outside top next to the steps. Turn on as enter turn off as leave. Saves dealing with the green bottles...

BSK

Good idea.....We added 20# propane bottles to several of ours to run the buddy heaters. Mounted them on the outside top next to the steps. Turn on as enter turn off as leave. Saves dealing with the green bottles...
Heaters!? Heaters are for woosies! ;)

Latest posts