Agree or Disagree?

HoytDawg

A170BA97-701B-4188-AA83-ABCF9715CFBE.png

megalomaniac

Been on a self imposed 1 buck limit.for 7 or 8 years.

There is no debate that limiting number of bucks killed directly results in improved buck age structure. The debate is whether that is necessary or not statewide. I can live with a 2 buck limit even though if most hunters killed 2 buck annually it would be devastating to the herd.

Lost Lake

Do you agree or disagree that a 1 buck limit would be a good thing for the deer herd and TN hunters?
Okay, I'll take the bait and bite.

I'll go you one better. I'd be in favor of a Nationwide 1 buck limit. You pick your State and species of deer. No multiple State bucks. There's plenty of does to shoot on camera for the video guys.

It's time for us to evolve as a Nation of hunters.

rem270

I'll add one more thing. I live 50 yards from unit L on the TN side. 2 buck limit with 3 does a day if someone wants it. Basically unlimited. What would a one buck limit do to others outside of unit L? Without looking I'm pretty sure half the state, mostly east TN is really limited to how many deer (not just bucks) can be killed a year, right? If TN ever made it a one buck limit it takes a deer away from them essentially. I don't see TN going to one buck but if they ever did they would be screwing a lot of east TN folks unless they made changes to help them as well.

Ski

Do you agree or disagree that a 1 buck limit would be a good thing for the deer herd and TN hunters?

A 1 buck limit would be a good thing for any deer herd regardless of state.

However, harvest limits aren't set only with biology in mind. They also consider hunter opportunity and what the hunters want. The wildlife resource management for any state has to balance herd health with keeping hunters happy. Not an easy job. That's why different states have vastly different regulations. Herd dynamics in a given state can be as variable as its politics. In TN's case I genuinely believe TWRA is doing their best to walk that tightrope. While I do not agree with all of their regulations, I am only one hunter. Another hunter might want something completely different than I, and another hunter want something altogether different. TWRA has to try pleasing all of us plus keep the herd healthy.

Latest posts