Agree or Disagree?

Tenntrapper

I'm neither for or against whatever the buck limit is. But I have a question...you guys in the west end (or anywhere other than here), would your answer be any different if you were only allowed 1 doe, and it was limited to a two week period? Because that's what we have here. Just curious.

Swampster

I totally don't understand at all. If deer are generally born male/female evenly distributed (?) why is killing fewer bucks good for the heard? In agriculture, we aggressively cull the "bucks" to improve the heard whether it is chickens, goats, or cattle?

DMD

I used to be a one buck limit proponent. But I've changed to like the two buck limit. I believe the statistics shows most licensed hunters are , on average, killing one (or less). Also, as I get older, and I know my number of seasons left are limited, I love the opportunity to hunt more. I pass a lot of bucks each season...but once I tag out on bucks, I'm usually done. Having two buck tags extends my season, even though many seasons I only kill one. I rarely find that elusive second "big buck".
1000020272.png

knightrider

I have places you can literally sit for three weeks straight and not see a doe, but can see a different buck every sit. All these shoot a doe for meat let the bucks alone, 1 buck limit folks dont have a clue what their saying. It would be detrimental to alot of east tn properties to replace yet another buck tag with a doe! I just dont have the deer density on most of my places to shoot another doe.

Jcalder

I have places you can literally sit for three weeks straight and not see a doe, but can see a different buck every sit. All these shoot a doe for meat let the bucks alone, 1 buck limit folks dont have a clue what their saying. It would be detrimental to alot of east tn properties to replace yet another buck tag with a doe! I just dont have the deer density on most of my places to shoot another doe.
Those that haven't experienced this are truly missing out.

Madbowh

I don't agree I shoot little bucks over a doe anyday, does bring the population up. I'll argue it too I pass out. All you need is 1 buck in the woods he will find the does. Now I do shoot does and did this year just prefer not to.

I'm no expert , I used to hunt a state that your limit was per weapon, you could hunt with a bow during rifle but have different bag limit because you are using a bow. I enjoyed that.

I understand the need for a challenge by hunting mature older deer but there's way too many hunters that only want big racks.

TboneD

I believe the current 2 buck limit is good for Tennessee. All going to a 1 buck limit would likely do would probably make more bucks killed illegally.
Also would result in more does shot in areas where they don't need to be...and it takes does to make bucks. I'm for the two buck limit and against the present lack of management of the herd in Unit L. Only one buck limit makes absolutely no sense, especially when it'll just encourage folks who like venison to kill more does on both private and much of public ground in so many counties.

Last edited:

knightrider

I think the 2 buck limit is fine as it is
If anymore restrictions is "needed" make buck tag #2 an earn a buck where you have to harvest two does to get that second tag

Seems like the majority of the "1 buck limit" guys I talk to never kills a doe
Once again you have to consider the whole state! That would be devastating in many east tn counties, it takes does to make bucks!

GRIT

Yea go to a one buck limit and in about 10 years if you don't own some land are kin to someone who owns land you won't be able to afford leasing prices if you can find any land to lease. So you won't be hunting. It won't be nothing but a cutthroat sport.

Snake

I think the 2 buck limit is fine as it is
If anymore restrictions is "needed" make buck tag #2 an earn a buck where you have to harvest two does to get that second tag

Seems like the majority of the "1 buck limit" guys I talk to never kills a doe
You must be talking to those other than east Tennessee guys . You'd be very fortunate to kill two does and why because I've let does walk for years hoping to build up the herd.

mike243

Yea go to a one buck limit and in about 10 years if you don't own some land are kin to someone who owns land you won't be able to afford leasing prices if you can find any land to lease. So you won't be hunting. It won't be nothing but a cutthroat sport.
Not sure where you are at but it's already at that point, I cant wait till all of the deer hunting is ruined by trophyist and it goes to a draw hunt to shoot any deer, I will be long dead but that's where it's headed. 3 questions, what part of the state are you in, do you bow hunt, do you hunt other states.

GRIT

Not sure where you are at but it's already at that point, I cant wait till all of the deer hunting is ruined by trophyist and it goes to a draw hunt to shoot any deer, I will be long dead but that's where it's headed. 3 questions, what part of the state are you in, do you bow hunt, do you hunt other states.
No i don't bow hunt any more i do own my land and i only hunt Tennessee. I agree with you completely.