Big buck tonight- bad shot

Dennis

I'm glad you found him Kenneth. Keep in mind the outskirts of that thicket will be a good spot to hunt once deer start getting pressure. There's a reason that buck used that spot and other bucks will use it too.

philsanchez76

Congrats man. I'm just seeing this and couldn't scroll through the threads quick enough to see the end result.

How long did it take the dog to find it, and did the handler help you drag it?
K so I just got home. I've been up since 4:45 am and am exhausted. But have never felt better. I've probably got 10-12 miles on my boots today. So me and a friend did a full thicket perimeter search early this morning just walking the whole outside of the thicket and pushing in here and there when we saw deer trails going in. No blood or anything. Dog tracker called me and said he could get there by 1 pm so we decided to back out cuz he said the less human scent in there the easier his dog could find it. Gotta hike all the way back to the parking lot. My buddy had to head out. Jared and His dog Bella meet me and we have to hike another mile back out. As soon as we got to the thicket Bella goes all in basically dragging Jared through the stickers. I say hold on I'm gonna throw my carhartt coveralls on and I'll be right behind you. Takes me about 90 seconds to suit up and I look up and they're nowhere to be seen. I call out and nothing. You can only see about 5-10 feet in front of you in this thing so I had no clue where they went. I just started barreling through hoping to catch up with them. Then suddenly about 30 yards in I literally stumble on the buck. He was right next to one of his rubs so I set him up on it for the pic. Jared and Bella no where to be found. Drag the buck out of the thicket (which about killed me) and called Jared. He answers and asks "have you seen bella?" No I say. Apparently Bella got on a bedded deer and started chasing it across the thicket and Jared lost hold of the leash. Buck is dragged out to the main trail already but we then spend the next 2 hours combing this piece of public calling out for Bella. We can't find her. Jared goes off separately while I go and take care of the buck. I decided to just go with the gutless method and removed the 4 quarters, backstraps and the head in the field. Left his swolen torso for the birds and yotes unfortunately. Still had to pack out the head and quarters a mile to my truck. Jared stopped at all the neighbors houses and left his number with them. He didn't have a radio collar and didn't have his phone number on her collar either!!! Cmon man! He was a young guy so he's learning. I sure hope he finds her but as of now nothing. So very bitter sweet there at the end. I'm ready for a cold Miller lite and shower and a warm bed. Y'all have been absolutely awesome during this process. Thanks for sticking with me!! All this and the rut hasn't even started yet!!!!!

philsanchez76

I'm glad you found him Kenneth. Keep in mind the outskirts of that thicket will be a good spot to hunt once deer start getting pressure. There's a reason that buck used that spot and other bucks will use it too.
You're so right. There's so much buck sign back there. I've never been in to it cuz it's too thick. But I'm gonna figure it out.

philsanchez76

If you read my long story you'll know why I had no one to take hero pics for me. My wife is sick so I couldn't get her outside to do it.
E6C0D5AD-E54A-4E35-8D82-1BB38C0F764C.jpeg
C950CB4C-9962-46B9-9F7A-D17157FC921D.jpeg
4E198B03-450D-4072-BAB7-5DE5D75D37F9.jpeg

Latest posts