Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

Madbowh

Any wildlife feeding should be outlawed including bird feeders.
Not sure about that there, I'm no tree hugger but you can't cut everything down and not replant, you can't take enormous amounts of wildlife habitat and resources away and not replenish somehow. Not saying how to replenish or how, what or when to feed but it should be done on some scale.

Pure clear cuts are a disgraceful, lazy ignorant way to clear land. Go to any federal land and see what they did years ago, they select cut, no roads through drains...etc nobody cares about anything anymore wildlife, animals, each other anything that is not for themselves and that's right on this site too

Madbowh

I think it is not a big deal. Unfortunately I know people who feed corn year round. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Actually makes the deer hunting harder as the deer mostly go nocturnal. I'm not in favor of it but don't think it will change much. Most everyone around me seems to do it. The game warden busted a landowner next to me but he's right back at it. Now wardens can't go on their property without permission.
Why can they not go they're without permission now?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Why can they not go they're without permission now?

Snake

no, seen some the other day, my post was not to advocate for baiting, just t say its not a magic bullet to kill deer . I said i didnt care
I was just being sarcastic , I know it's not a magic bullet and although I don't bait but did do some feeding about two years ago. Wished I'd never responded to this thread .

ImThere

Not sure about that there, I'm no tree hugger but you can't cut everything down and not replant, you can't take enormous amounts of wildlife habitat and resources away and not replenish somehow. Not saying how to replenish or how, what or when to feed but it should be done on some scale.

Pure clear cuts are a disgraceful, lazy ignorant way to clear land. Go to any federal land and see what they did years ago, they select cut, no roads through drains...etc nobody cares about anything anymore wildlife, animals, each other anything that is not for themselves and that's right on this site too
Come on, you know there's a reason they've got signs at the Zoo don't feed the animals. Welfare don't help the animals it makes them dependent

DoubleRidge

When are they voting on this bill? Im in the dark and dont care either way.
For SB1942 the state website says:

"Placed on Senate Energy, Ag., and Nat. Resources Committee calendar for 2/28/2024"

Not sure that the bill will actually ever make it to the floor for a vote...hopefully it doesnt.

MidTennFisher

If corn on the ground is bad for wildlife… explain Texas. Lol
Some of y'all need to get out more. There's a big world out there that laughs at most of the folks and their "facts" posted on this topic.
As far as Texas goes, it has been mentioned that they have very strict rules about only using certified aflatoxin free corn because they understand what a danger it is to wildlife. Also, Texas is much more arid than the humid Southeast.

To be honest, I'd never want any state to turn into the hunting culture that is Texas. Everything about that place is an ecological disaster. Covered in species not only non-native to Texas, but non-native to the entire continent of North America. Ruined a local ecosystem, all for profit. Not to mention the wild hog issue which is surely assisted by the piles of corn.

And if you want to take advantage of that disaster by shooting some exotic animals, you'd better have a hefty bank account. It's not like Texas has created an incredible opportunity for the average hunter. They've created incredible opportunity for rich hunters.

Lost Lake

As far as Texas goes, it has been mentioned that they have very strict rules about only using certified aflatoxin free corn because they understand what a danger it is to wildlife. Also, Texas is much more arid than the humid Southeast.

To be honest, I'd never want any state to turn into the hunting culture that is Texas. Everything about that place is an ecological disaster. Covered in species not only non-native to Texas, but non-native to the entire continent of North America. Ruined a local ecosystem, all for profit. Not to mention the wild hog issue which is surely assisted by the piles of corn.

And if you want to take advantage of that disaster by shooting some exotic animals, you'd better have a hefty bank account. It's not like Texas has created an incredible opportunity for the average hunter. They've created incredible opportunity for rich hunters.

This exactly.

TennCanman

I will be hunting for the first time in TN this year as I just bought 15 acres in Stewart County. I set up a feeder to keep deer on the property.
I really don't care one way or the other because once acorns start to drop they don't eat the corn much.
My only heartburn is the 10 day rule. Being out of state I'd have to make a special trip to empty the feeder which is hard.
We should be allowed to keep feeders somewhere just not hunt over them. In Georgia, when you couldn't bait, you could still have a feeder as long as it wasn't in plain site of your stand or blind.
Maybe you should study up on TN laws a little closer. There are a few things you're missing. By all means I'm no expert and I'm sure I'll get corrected by some on here. All traces of bait. Not just taking the feeder/cleaning it out 10 days before. Also I believe 200yds away out of line of sight and you can just run it all you want. Just saying you may want to study the laws a bit closer is all. You might be surprised.

GreeneGriz

You know what they say about opinions. Lol

mike243

When you watch the podcast and I only watched part of the first 1 it said enough points to really make sense, the idgits that sponsored the bill said baiting would level the playing field for the small property owners or poor that couldn't make food plots, Twra said the bigger property owners could just step up and provide more bait that the smaller property was unable to afford, and that's the truth, you put out 100lbs a week the neighbor will put out 200+, where will it stop? , I only own 1.5ac, my adjoining neighbor owns maybe 30 on this side of the road. no way I want a baiting war started in Tn. Look towards other states that allow it and you will find limits have been put in place in some of them, for the folks that voted don't care I would like to see why? I don't see this is a 3 answer question, if you care anything about the wildlife here in Tn you need to step up 1 way or the other imo, a don't care answer is a copout. ymmv

MidTennFisher

When you watch the podcast and I only watched part of the first 1 it said enough points to really make sense, the idgits that sponsored the bill said baiting would level the playing field for the small property owners or poor that couldn't make food plots, Twra said the bigger property owners could just step up and provide more bait that the smaller property was unable to afford, and that's the truth, you put out 100lbs a week the neighbor will put out 200+, where will it stop? , I only own 1.5ac, my adjoining neighbor owns maybe 30 on this side of the road. no way I want a baiting war started in Tn. Look towards other states that allow it and you will find limits have been put in place in some of them, for the folks that voted don't care I would like to see why? I don't see this is a 3 answer question, if you care anything about the wildlife here in Tn you need to step up 1 way or the other imo, a don't care answer is a copout. ymmv
I've never liked the "level the playing fields" argument for baiting. Playing fields don't need to be leveled. Some people just need a bigger playing field to participate in things they want to do. And if, to use a real life scenario, the housing/land costs prohibit most from affording it, that just sucks and I hate it.

I myself know I'll most likely never be able to buy a nice house on 40 acres. Not because I don't work hard, because the housing market is more F'd up than I ever imagined it would get and we're screwed in that regard.

Someone who owns 1.5 acres of land isn't supposed to be able to routinely kill deer there. It isn't enough land to be suitable for hunting on. Sure occasionally a deer could walk through and get dropped instantly with a neck shot but for the most part, that's not hunting land. That's nice land to recreate on, build fires, have a nice garden, and some chickens. But it's not deer hunting land.

Doing something so detrimental to wildlife across the state just to "level the playing field" because everyone on <2 acres wants to kill deer is a not a smart solution.

Latest posts