Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

Hawk103161

Actually you do not own the animals while they're on your property. Ask any game warden that question and you'll get the same answer every time. Private or public you are beholden to game laws. Period.
Here's what Private means....Public means anyone can hunt or use it. Private means Anyone I want to invite to use my place can. You come on here on your own your trespassing and will be dealt with accordingly. If squirrels that my neighbor feeds come on my place and starts chewing crap up I'm thinning them out.

Nope. Unless it was illegal baiting (which would be impossible to prove) as it started in SW TN just across the line where there theoretically was no baiting, spread like wildfire and then spilled over into MS.

It being spread to small outbreaks (1 or 2 isolated cases 10s or 100s of miles away) is from hunters moving contaminated carcasses or it arises de novo on the landscape.

I don't really think baiting will cause CWD to migrate/ spread geographically. I do think baiting will increase positivity rates in an endemic area, however.
It did not start in SW TN, just as Covid didn't start in California. SW was were it was first discovered in the state.

100% right... You trying to tell me I can't kill a deer on my property that goes between other properties....I can't kill squirrels dove, Crows Starlings Coyotes because they belong to you... LMAO.... Let me tell you this They belong to me till I s**t 'em out.
Pretty sure he said you don't own them, I don't see where he said you couldn't kill them. Maybe I missed something?

Ski

Here's what Private means....Public means anyone can hunt or use it. Private means Anyone I want to invite to use my place can. You come on here on your own your trespassing and will be dealt with accordingly. If squirrels that my neighbor feeds come on my place and starts chewing crap up I'm thinning them out.

I don't disagree with that, so long as those squirrels are in season. I'm saying we're all held to the same game laws regardless, unless specified differently under said law. As long as it's illegal to hunt over bait, it's illegal for everyone regardless if you're on public or private. Doing it on your own land doesn't make it legal just because you own the land. Just because the ground the animal currently inhabits is owned by you doesn't mean the animal is owned by you.

FTP

I believe you can own them….
Let's pretend I own a couple of thousand acres of land ( I don't but wish I did)
Let's also pretend that I was extremely wealthy ( I wish)
I go to one of the high end deer farms and purchase a trophy buck and 5 does.
Key word being "purchased"
I bring them back to my 2,000 acres and turn them loose.
You better damn believe those 6 deer belong to me, and roam free on my property.
Yep! They are wildlife, but they are mine.
Legal Boys!

Hawk103161

I believe you can own them….
Let's pretend I own a couple of thousand acres of land ( I don't but wish I did)
Let's also pretend that I was extremely wealthy ( I wish)
I go to one of the high end deer farms and purchase a trophy buck and 5 does.
Key word being "purchased"
I bring them back to my 2,000 acres and turn them loose.
You better damn believe those 6 deer belong to me, and roam free on my property.
Yep! They are wildlife, but they are mine.
Legal Boys!
I think the only way that really counts if you have a high fence property and those are different rules. Once that deer leaves your property it's fair game as long as it's open season.

FTP

I think the only way that really counts if you have a high fence property and those are different rules. Once that deer leaves your property it's fair game as long as it's open season.
High fences in TN are illegal,( unless you place "gaps" in them 😜).
And of course if they wandered off my property they'd be open game for anyone

scn

High fences in TN are illegal,( unless you place "gaps" in them 😜).
And of course if they wandered off my property they'd be open game for anyone
Actually, there is nothing illegal about high fences in TN.

And, any naturally occurring game animals inside those fences remain the property of the state and under their control.

Hawk103161

You said you owned the animals if they were on your property.

100% wrong
Can you come get said Wild Animal if it's on my Property??? Nope Not Legally. You can't even go get an Animal that you shoot and It goes on someone else's property... That dead Animal belongs to me. Unless your a pecker about it I'm gonna let you come get it but I'm not required by Law... That's the Legality of it...

FTP

Actually, there is nothing illegal about high fences in TN.

And, any naturally occurring game animals inside those fences remain the property of the state and under their control.
Boss, I remember reading a court case a few years back, the landowner was fined for "high fencing", it was totally enclosed.
Now it is possible that the law has been amended.
But I tell ya one thing, if I have bill of sale or a receipt on the purchase of deer from a breeder farm…. Bet your ole pappy, they belong to me!!!!

scn

Boss, I remember reading a court case a few years back, the landowner was fined for "high fencing", it was totally enclosed.
Now it is possible that the law has been amended.
But I tell ya one thing, if I have bill of sale or a receipt on the purchase of deer from a breeder farm…. Bet your ole pappy, they belong to me!!!!
Boss, it is 100% illegal for you to purchase native deer from a breeder farm. And, high fences have never been illegal.

Some of you folks need to educate yourselves a little better before posting such crap.

scn

Can you come get said Wild Animal if it's on my Property??? Nope Not Legally. You can't even go get an Animal that you shoot and It goes on someone else's property... That dead Animal belongs to me. Unless your a pecker about it I'm gonna let you come get it but I'm not required by Law... That's the Legality of it...
Until you legally reduce it to the bag, it belongs to the State. If LEGALLY killed, it becomes your property, subject to regulations on possession limits.

FTP

Boss, it is 100% illegal for you to purchase native deer from a breeder farm. And, high fences have never been illegal.

Some of you folks need to educate yourselves a little better before posting such crap.
Where did I mention that it was legal?
If I get pulled over with a trunk load of weed, yep I own it.
If I purchase deer from a farm and have a receipt, I own them.
I'm not so sure I'd take legal advice from you.