Are smokeless muzzleloaders legal in Tennessee and are fire sticks now legal??

Jcalder

Bobyote

I highly suggest the scout V2 stainless with the muzzle brake. Hankins machines the factory brake on them. To make life easier get the funnel to load powder without taking the muzzle brake if you decide to shoot sabotless.
So I've seen him load Parker ballistic extreme bullets straight into the hunter? Do those bullets do the same in the scout stainless with brake?
I got my Hunter from Buds. The Hunter is a cheaper rifle than the Scout. I couldn't find a Scout anywhere but Buds had the Hunter at the warehouse. Basically ordered/bought it on line and picked it about a week later. This was a couple of seasons ago
What type of bullet do use?

Hduke86

So I've seen him load Parker ballistic extreme bullets straight into the hunter? Do those bullets do the same in the scout stainless with brake?

If you're asking if the Parker B.E. needs a sabot then no cause he has ran them through a sizing did to fit his barrel. If you're asking if they can go through the muzzlebrake then yes they can can be machines the brake out larger to accept the .45 cal bullets. I still use the funnel when loading the bullet through the brake just cause it's already in the brake from pouring the powder. The sizing die is extremely simple to use and I always run my bullets twice through it and on the second pass I rotate the bullet about 90*.

jlanecr500

Bore diameters will tend to vary a little, even between identical guns. When smooth forming or what we call "land riders", .0001" one tenthousandth of an inch can be felt when loading. If too tight, it can get stuck part way down. Too loose and it will fall down. There may only be a couple tenthousandths separating those extremes. We are talking about putting a metal object inside a metal hole We want it snug but still be able to push it down the bore with 10 to 30 pounds of pressure on the ramrod. It is nearing a press fit.

Barnes xpb's, Barnes tez's are .4505". Parker be's are real close to .451".
Hornady sst's, Tc Shockwave, Pittman Accumax or Aeromax are .452"
The adjustable sizing die swages the bullet by pushing it thru a cone.

philsanchez76

I will say this. The smokeless muzzleloader is definitely more for the person who enjoys tinkering around and experimenting with his equipment. If you don't mind putting in the time to figure out what your weapon likes, you will really enjoy this. If you are a guy who is super busy and may not enjoy the tinkering aspect of finding what load works in your gun (what powder and how much, what types of bullets and what sizes, wool wads or veggie wads, etc) you may not enjoy the smokeless route. I love tinkering and practicing shooting. I shoot my smokeless mz more than any other gun I own cuz im always curious about trying a new powder or bullet etc. Point is, it should be fun. And the ultimate reward is having a gun and a load that your'e 100% confident will take a deer cleanly and quickly.

RockMcL

I have an email into Hankins about Brux barrel setup for my Encore. Looking forward to his reply.

I like to tinker which is why I use the Encore platform.

Appreciate you all taking time and sharing with the original post and others.

M T Pockets 000

I used an old Traditions black powder 50 cal with 45 sabots starting out. Then a Knight. Both used the old #11 cap. Then I got a Wolf. In the meanwhile my hunting buddy and others got smokeless. While I was cleaning and Cussin they were telling me to get a smokeless. I positively hate sabots. I could never seem to get the plastic residue out of the barrel no matter what I used. I don't have one of those sizer gizmos. Rekun I'll ask Santa for one. Yes I have played with different bullets mainly .451's. Also yes I have had to push some stuck ones out and had some be loose. As stated when you go to the range you mite wanna experiment. I've found two bullets that my rifle likes. Please don't base your going smokeless on my post. There are guys on here using gadgets and gizmos to measure speed and performance that I don't have a clue about. To them I say thank you. I am always looking for information.

philsanchez76

I used an old Traditions black powder 50 cal with 45 sabots starting out. Then a Knight. Both used the old #11 cap. Then I got a Wolf. In the meanwhile my hunting buddy and others got smokeless. While I was cleaning and Cussin they were telling me to get a smokeless. I positively hate sabots. I could never seem to get the plastic residue out of the barrel no matter what I used. I don't have one of those sizer gizmos. Rekun I'll ask Santa for one. Yes I have played with different bullets mainly .451's. Also yes I have had to push some stuck ones out and had some be loose. As stated when you go to the range you mite wanna experiment. I've found two bullets that my rifle likes. Please don't base your going smokeless on my post. There are guys on here using gadgets and gizmos to measure speed and performance that I don't have a clue about. To them I say thank you. I am always looking for information.
I do think its easier and more accurate to use bullet to bore rather than sabots. But I have had really good luck with harvester sabots. im not sure if its cuz they make them for high velocity muzzleloaders or what, but ive never had any plastic fouling issues with them. But I will wait till the barrel cools between shots too.

RockMcL

Hankins cannot be accused of being slow. UPS delivered today.
Wow, nice heavy honking barrel! I use the Encore platform and my current bushing pin is custom sized for best either a Bellm or MGM 243 barrel and it fits perfect. Headspace to the modules looks good by eye. Rough mounted a Vortex 4-16 30mm first focal plane EBR-2C MOA scope. Probably level out tomorrow.

Don't have the needed shotgun forend so waiting for that before first shots. Have some 250 & 275 Pittmans coming and have some misc laying around to run through the die for experimenting.

IMR4198 jug on way from powder valley but will start with H322 if the forend arrives before the powder.

Warned my son's to get some venison down quick. Should be sighted in with plenty of season time left and I am notorious for not leaving a new weapon un-blooded in season.

Looking forward to shooting sometime next week.
Thanks again for the inspiration...

philsanchez76

Hankins cannot be accused of being slow. UPS delivered today.
Wow, nice heavy honking barrel! I use the Encore platform and my current bushing pin is custom sized for best either a Bellm or MGM 243 barrel and it fits perfect. Headspace to the modules looks good by eye. Rough mounted a Vortex 4-16 30mm first focal plane EBR-2C MOA scope. Probably level out tomorrow.

Don't have the needed shotgun forend so waiting for that before first shots. Have some 250 & 275 Pittmans coming and have some misc laying around to run through the die for experimenting.

IMR4198 jug on way from powder valley but will start with H322 if the forend arrives before the powder.

Warned my son's to get some venison down quick. Should be sighted in with plenty of season time left and I am notorious for not leaving a new weapon un-blooded in season.

Looking forward to shooting sometime next week.
Thanks again for the inspiration...
Yeah Hankins is on it! Did you end up going with the HIS or DIS modules ? Also you prob already know by you should definitely drop by Hanks message boards. You can find load info and just a ton of other smokeless info there.

RockMcL

Went with the HIS and yes, been digging in the
Yeah Hankins is on it! Did you end up going with the HIS or DIS modules ? Also you prob already know by you should definitely drop by Hanks message boards. You can find load info and just a ton of other smokeless info there.

Yes been digging in the message board. Went with the HIS modules.

mike243

I don't know that I have seen H322 powder mentioned as a good match, stick with what's been tested imo. good luck you won't believe the accuracy and no cleaning between shots

RockMcL

I don't know that I have seen H322 powder mentioned as a good match, stick with what's been tested imo. good luck you won't believe the accuracy and no cleaning between shots
I found some data for the 322 and could use if needed. I understand the IMR4148 burns way clean so I will be happy in that lane now that I have it on the way. Appreciate the caution and your opinion is spot on.

Latest posts