Are smokeless muzzleloaders legal in Tennessee and are fire sticks now legal??

Bobyote

I only have a 100 yard max range in my yard and the longest shot on a deer this year has been 95 yards so I can't honestly say what accuracy is like past 150. I'm sure I'll get to test it out here soon. My groups at 100 yards are touching clover leaf all day though. Ive had good results with A5744, IMR4198, H4198 and IMR4227 so far. I know there's lots of others that work well too (N120 for one). You can use 40 cal with harvester sabots or 45 cal and bore size it. Ive used hornady XTPs in 45, Barnes TEZ in 45, Hammer bullets in 45, Eagle creeks in 45. The only 40 cal ive used are Pittman bullets. Guy out of Seymour TN who makes custom smokeless muzzleloader bullets. Your options are just through the roof compared to regular muzzleloader projectiles. I also use Large rifle or Large rifle magnum primers. no more 209s.
Awesome! So where do u order your powder from and what do you mean bore size the 45. Thank you for all the help.

philsanchez76

Awesome! So where do u order your powder from and what do you mean bore size the 45. Thank you for all the help.
I get most of my stuff from MidSouth Shooters Supply. Sometimes you can find deals form Powder Valley and Natchez too. I think the actual term is "smooth sizing" the 45 cal bullets. I got a sizer from Hankins Precision Gun Parts. It screws into your reloading press and then you push a bullet through it and it will size to your bore (since ever barrel is slightly different). Most .452 size bullets you will not be able to push down your barrel with a ramrod. The smooth sizer squishes it down just enough that it still fits very tight but allows you to push it down with your rod.

philsanchez76

Here's the sizer.

Bobyote

What length barrel do they have? I'm just trying to make sure I get the right gun for the conversion. Thanks again for all the help fellas, I'm still not completely understanding the powder as I've always used pellets lol, but hopefully I'll get it!

cecil30-30

What length barrel do they have? I'm just trying to make sure I get the right gun for the conversion. Thanks again for all the help fellas, I'm still not completely understanding the powder as I've always used pellets lol, but hopefully I'll get it!
If you want to keep it simple, most of the conversion guns will shoot a 40 cal 200gr sst or 195gr barnes in a light blue harvester sabot.

philsanchez76

My scout is 25 inch barrel and does have a muzzle brake. It's recommended if shooting with sabots you remove the brake. As far as powder goes, we are just using modern smokeless powder that you'd otherwise be using to reload full cartridges (brass, powder, primer and bullet). Modern smokeless powder is much more powerful than 777 pellets or Blackhorn 209. Thats why we are able to get much better ballistics. But great caution should be exercised. Do your research on loads etc. Do you have any experience with reloading? You will need it to weigh out powder charges etc.

RockMcL

I have been trying to avoid falling for this smokeless ML thing but beginning to feel it coming on.

If I can get an Encode 45-70 barrel Hanks Precision or others will thread the rear for their thread in adapter. And this is fairly reasonably priced from what I am hearing.

Any other shops besides the link above that do this? Did not see a phone number or email on the link.

Bobyote

My scout is 25 inch barrel and does have a muzzle brake. It's recommended if shooting with sabots you remove the brake. As far as powder goes, we are just using modern smokeless powder that you'd otherwise be using to reload full cartridges (brass, powder, primer and bullet). Modern smokeless powder is much more powerful than 777 pellets or Blackhorn 209. Thats why we are able to get much better ballistics. But great caution should be exercised. Do your research on loads etc. Do you have any experience with reloading? You will need it to weigh out powder charges etc.
I have never reloaded, what will I need to weigh out the charges?

Hduke86

I have been trying to avoid falling for this smokeless ML thing but beginning to feel it coming on.

If I can get an Encode 45-70 barrel Hanks Precision or others will thread the rear for their thread in adapter. And this is fairly reasonably priced from what I am hearing.

Any other shops besides the link above that do this? Did not see a phone number or email on the link.
I was the same way until I just said the heck with it and got a cva 45-70 and had Hankins do the conversion. I shot it 20 times straight the first time at the range and the 20th bullet went down just as effortlessly as the 1st bullet. Are you asking for a phone number or email to Hankins?

jlanecr500

I have a couple of 45-70 single shot conversions and 2 40 cal custom sml"s that I've built over the years. Sold all of my 45 custom builds. The single shot conversions shoot good and are super light and handy. I don't stretch them out so I can't vouch for their accuracy beyond 200 yds. The 40 cal custom guns are very accurate. I took a deer 2 years ago at 580 yds with my 22" bbl shorty forty custom. I haven't even carried it this year. Muzzle brakes are the cats meow when shooting hot loads in a custom build but I despise hunting with one..
The bottom line is that getting started with a conversion is highly recommended. You get to dip your feet in the water economically before spending thousands on a custom build. The conversion will always be useful. Accessories to get started include a powder scale. This one is both accurate and economical. https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=840423
If you shoot sabotless, a sizing die will likely be needed. I usually size mine as seen in the below pic. I made a reciever hitch mount for my RCBS Rock Chucker reloading press and the sizing die is threaded in the top where a reloading die would go. A pushrod is installed in the ram in place of a shell holder.
20181029_141213.jpg

When considering ignition systems, each has its advantages and disadvantages. 209 ignition is simple, it works, and is cheap. However it does not have the potential of large rifle magnum primers. It is advised to stay away from powders slower than 4198. While it will ignite slower powders, the reliability of ignition is not where id like it to be. Bullet fit must be snug to maintain pressure during and after ignition or it will flame out.
LRMP ignition systems are more efficient, reliable, and capable of igniting slower powders. Depending on powder burn rate and load volume, LRMP ignition will require less powder to get the same velocity as 209 ignition. LRMP uses reloadable modules. However, if you lose your modules, you cant shoot the gun before buying more.

I have a new Henry 45-70 that I'll convert before next season. I'll post my results when it's done. I think I'm gonna hunt with it some this season as a 45-70. Those Barnes 300gr ttsx's for the Socom are pure death in a 45-70. (Can't use them in a ml because they are boat tail)

Last edited:

RockMcL

I was the same way until I just said the heck with it and got a cva 45-70 and had Hankins do the conversion. I shot it 20 times straight the first time at the range and the 20th bullet went down just as effortlessly as the 1st bullet. Are you asking for a phone number or email to Hankins?
Yes
It would be appreciated.
Thank you

philsanchez76

I have a couple of 45-70 single shot conversions and 2 40 cal custom sml"s that I've built over the years. Sold all of my 45 custom builds. The single shot conversions shoot good and are super light and handy. I don't stretch them out so I can't vouch for their accuracy beyond 200 yds. The 40 cal custom guns are very accurate. I took a deer 2 years ago at 580 yds with my 22" bbl shorty forty custom. I haven't even carried it this year. Muzzle brakes are the cats meow when shooting hot loads in a custom build but I despise hunting with one..
The bottom line is that getting started with a conversion is highly recommended. You get to dip your feet in the water economically before spending thousands on a custom build. The conversion will always be useful. Accessories to get started include a powder scale. This one is both accurate and economical. https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=840423
If you shoot sabotless, a sizing die will likely be needed. I usually size mine as seen in the below pic. I made a reciever hitch mount for my RCBS Rock Cusher reloading press and the sizing die is threaded in the top where a reloading die would go. A pushrod is installed in the ram in place of a shell holder.
View attachment 158375
When considering ignition systems, each has its advantages and disadvantages. 209 ignition is simple, it works, and is cheap. However it does not have the potential of large rifle magnum primers. It is advised to stay away from powders slower than 4198. Wgile it will ignite slower powders, the reliability of ignition is not where id like it to be. Bullet fit must be snug to maintain pressure during and after ignition or it will flame out.
LRMP ignition systems are more efficient, reliable, and capable of igniting slower powders. Depending on powder burn rate and load volume, LRMP ignition will require less powder to get the same velocity as 209 ignition. LRMP uses reloadable modules. However, if you lose your modules, you cant shoot the gun before buying more.

I have a new Henry 45-70 that I'll convert before next season. I'll post my results when it's done. I think I'm gonna hunt with it some this season as a 45-70. Those Barnes 300gr ttsx's for the Sodom are pure death in a 45-70.
now thats a cool set up there

Latest posts