Are smokeless muzzleloaders legal in Tennessee and are fire sticks now legal??

Bobyote

I'm confused on this as I had a cousin who got a fire stick when they first came out and then had to sell it?

philsanchez76

Anybody ever shoot or recommend a smokeless muzzleloader?
I bought a CVA scout single shot 45-70 last year and sent it off to be converted to a smokeless 45 cal. Ive killed 3 deer with it this year already and it is deadly accurate both with 45 cal bullets and 40 cal bullets in a sabot. All pass throughs with great blood trails unlike my old muzzleloader which very rarely gave me a blood trail to follow. This has been my best hunting investment to date ($300 for the gun and $300 for the conversion and then a couple other things like a 45 cal bullet sizer). If you have a higher budget than me you can buy much nicer smokeless guns too.

cecil30-30

I bought a CVA scout single shot 45-70 last year and sent it off to be converted to a smokeless 45 cal. Ive killed 3 deer with it this year already and it is deadly accurate both with 45 cal bullets and 40 cal bullets in a sabot. All pass throughs with great blood trails unlike my old muzzleloader which very rarely gave me a blood trail to follow. This has been my best hunting investment to date ($300 for the gun and $300 for the conversion and then a couple other things like a 45 cal bullet sizer). If you have a higher budget than me you can buy much nicer smokeless guns too.
I did the same thing with a h&r 45-70 shoots amazing with 58 grs n120 and a 200gr sst. Like you say, probably one of the best investments I've made in the hunting realm.

Jack Reed

1. Definition of muzzleloader updated. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms in which a projectile (rifle) or projectiles (shotgun) must be loaded from the muzzle (front) end of the barrel and the firearm being of design and manufacture that prevents the projectile(s) from being loaded from the breech (rear) end. See Manner & Means.
  2. Do either one of those fall in this category? Not sure just asking.

BlackBelt

A FireStick is a polymer shell that only holds powder (no bullet) and is loaded from the breach. Then you close the action and insert a bullet from the muzzle end.
It uses a 209 primer to set it off.

Edited to add: Currently only the Traditions NitroFire muzzleloader can use FireSticks.

Last edited:

JeepKuntry

Yes, the Firestick is now legal….but in my personal opinion it shouldn't be.
Imo you should be able to use shotguns during ML season. Most ML's have better accuracy downrange. Just can't reload as quickly. Some states straight wall are legal. TWRA won't do it because it would affect money to them but we could archery then firearms and remove the 2 week ML that part of the state has!

Bobyote

Jeff Hankins. He's up in Kentucky. Mailed my barrel to him and it was back at my house within 7 days. Here's his site.

Sounds like a plan! How accurate is the rifle out past 150? Also what bullets and powder do you need? Still 209 primers? I'm clueless but smokeless and a blood trail! I'm in!

Bobyote

Sounds like a plan! How accurate is the rifle out past 150? Also what bullets and powder do you need? Still 209 primers? I'm clueless but smokeless and a blood trail! I'm in!

philsanchez76

I only have a 100 yard max range in my yard and the longest shot on a deer this year has been 95 yards so I can't honestly say what accuracy is like past 150. I'm sure ill get to test it out here soon. My groups at 100 yards are touching clover leaf all day though. Ive had good results with A5744, IMR4198, H4198 and IMR4227 so far. I know there's lots of others that work well too (N120 for one). You can use 40 cal with harvester sabots or 45 cal and bore size it. Ive used hornady XTPs in 45, Barnes TEZ in 45, Hammer bullets in 45, Eagle creeks in 45. The only 40 cal ive used are Pittman bullets. Guy out of Seymour TN who makes custom smokeless muzzleloader bullets. Your options are just through the roof compared to regular muzzleloader projectiles. I also use Large rifle or Large rifle magnum primers. no more 209s.

Latest posts