AR-15

WTM

I don't have any proof as I have never compared with a crono or anything but that is what I have read. When I started building my form 1 all the information I found lead to the 10.5 for a patrol rifle and after carrying it for 10 years or so, I do think it is the best fit.

A couple guys have 7.5 and I do think that god forbid you was to ever fire one off inside it would blow your ear drums. On the range it seams the 7.5 inch is much louder that the 10.5 or 11.5
a 7.5" shot indoors is almost the same as an m84 grenade. around 165-170 db and about 15,000 psi uncorking pressure, compared to a 10.5" at 11,000. better have a good supressor for either the 7.5 or 10.5", or some good ear muffs and a good bullet that performs below 2500 fps.

Jcalder

I don't have any proof as I have never compared with a crono or anything but that is what I have read. When I started building my form 1 all the information I found lead to the 10.5 for a patrol rifle and after carrying it for 10 years or so, I do think it is the best fit.

A couple guys have 7.5 and I do think that god forbid you was to ever fire one off inside it would blow your ear drums. On the range it seams the 7.5 inch is much louder that the 10.5 or 11.5
I found a video on YouTube where some guys shot I think a 16", 10.5, and a 7.5 over a chronograph. Same ammo. The 16 averaged around 3200, the 10.5 was around 2800 and the 7.5 was around 2450. Opened my eyes quite a bit on how much velocity was lost. But the premise for this rifle is honestly close quarters defense. I don't have to reach across the county. Therefore the velocity loss isn't near as critical. If I was building one for a longer range setup I'd look more at a 16 or 20 but for what I want I think the 10.5 is gonna be perfect. Should be a good training rifle for the kids as well

WTM

I found a video on YouTube where some guys shot I think a 16", 10.5, and a 7.5 over a chronograph. Same ammo. The 16 averaged around 3200, the 10.5 was around 2800 and the 7.5 was around 2450. Opened my eyes quite a bit on how much velocity was lost. But the premise for this rifle is honestly close quarters defense. I don't have to reach across the county. Therefore the velocity loss isn't near as critical. If I was building one for a longer range setup I'd look more at a 16 or 20 but for what I want I think the 10.5 is gonna be perfect. Should be a good training rifle for the kids as well
yeah about 400 fps exponentially between them. with a heavier round like military ball or penetrator the tested muzzle velocity is around 2400-2500 fps for the 10.5" pistol length which pretty much makes it a point blank weapon with that ammo. anything less than 2500 and it just pokes a neat little hole. pretty much why the army chose 14.5 for the m4 battle rifle.

Huntaholic

yeah about 400 fps exponentially between them. with a heavier round like military ball or penetrator the tested muzzle velocity is around 2400-2500 fps for the 10.5" pistol length which pretty much makes it a point blank weapon with that ammo. anything less than 2500 and it just pokes a neat little hole. pretty much why the army chose 14.5 for the m4 battle rifle.
That's why 62gr barnes x bullets or 65gr sierra sbt bullets are made ;)

Gravey

Smh , your buddy didnt do all that and let u have it cause that would be a huge mistake . Unless he posses manufacturer's license than yeah that's cool
Don't post stuff like this as it puts you in violation of Federal laws, you can use his jig but he can't work your lower, nitpicking I know, but, the law is the law. This ain't face place and nothing goes unnoticed.
I guess it's a good thing then that building it confirmed I could care less about an AR and he kept it. No harm no foul. :)

Grill-n-man

ARs are the tinker toy for adults. 98% or better of what's out there is good stuff. Like with all things some are better than others but for the vast majority it's all equal. Example I built my son a left handed one that consists of a Savage lower, Stag upper and bolt carrier group ( for left handed), faxon barrel, Anderson, CMMG, Troy, S&W, Midwest, and a few other parts manufacturers thrower in. The only thing complete in the build was the BCG. Everything else from end to the other was assembled by me and a friend. It all fit perfectly and works flawlessly. There really is no holy grail in the AR world only what you like and willing to pay for. During these times and assembled AR price is being inflated by most. IMO look at palmetto state and bear creek arsenal for kits

Jcalder

Just waiting on my receiver now Hopefully it'll be here Monday
A1C150EB-D753-4B3A-83DF-054F03EC4D35.jpeg
1EF59A90-E306-47D1-A3EA-CFB2EA920EA7.jpeg

dr

What's the best caliber for hunting, and defense,. And the most reasonable, readily available ammo?

backyardtndeer

What's the best caliber for hunting, and defense,. And the most reasonable, readily available ammo?
Good luck with any ammo. Best caliber is entirely subject to opinion. If I were building one on an ar15 platform for deer I would go with the new 6arc, but I reload and have a few hundred 6mm bullets and a little powder.

Latest posts