Another one of those days today

Ski

How do you hunt deer and not get busted when you have changing winds? In the areas that I hunt it is so tight that I don't have the advantage of distance and I want consistent wind direction to keep from getting busted

Getting busted is an acceptable risk for me. I see it as part of hunting. I know to hunt the bucks I'm after, I've got to be there when they're there or else I'll never see them. A lot of times it gets me busted. But sometimes it doesn't. And the number of encounters, shot opportunities, and harvests I get are grossly higher than when I'm being too cautious.

TboneD

How do you hunt deer and not get busted when you have changing winds? In the areas that I hunt it is so tight that I don't have the advantage of distance and I want consistent wind direction to keep from getting busted
Thermals and hunting in the right spot from a tree stand. Also, milkweed is great for confirming exactly where you're scent will go and whether the thermals will likely keep your scent over a deer.

DeerCamp

Getting busted is an acceptable risk for me. I see it as part of hunting. I know to hunt the bucks I'm after, I've got to be there when they're there or else I'll never see them. A lot of times it gets me busted. But sometimes it doesn't. And the number of encounters, shot opportunities, and harvests I get are grossly higher than when I'm being too cautious.
This is a great point. I think it's easy to make a lot of assumptions about what deer are thinking, or what they're going to do if XYZ happens.

The more data you have the better.

And truth is, some bucks.. you just have to go to them. They aren't gonna come to you.

BSK

That's the day I shot my buck. Saw two big boys, one 3yr old, and two does. May not seem like a lot but in open mature hardwoods it was a busy day.
I got one Saturday afternoon as well. Not a monster by any means but considering how bad our season has been, I'm glad to have him. He was following behind a spike that was pestering a doe (way behind, as in 150-200 yards).

Ski

Here are some examples of the wind conditions I was referencing. In full disclosure, I'm monitoring scrape activity, not necessarily overall deer activity. All my info references the timestamp for when a buck was hitting scrapes in daylight. But the first screenshot is what the weather was doing on the day this thread references.

Notice 8am through 3pm. The wind changed from east to north to south to west to east again. That's a rare all day event, hence the all day activity folks noted.

1668613320354.png

Ski

Not as obvious at first glance but the scrape is being hit just as the wind speed is dying to dead and an hour after it's 180* opposite direction. Multiple bucks

1668617111547.png

Attachments

• Splinter 26dec20_Moment.jpg
    Splinter 26dec20_Moment.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Longbeams at scrape 26dec20_Moment.jpg
    Longbeams at scrape 26dec20_Moment.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16

Ski

The same pattern plays out over & over so much it's uncanny. It's not 100% but a disproportionate amount of times I catch bucks on cam in daylight, specifically at scrapes, is when the wind is doing something a little strange.

Ski

For hunting forecast I look for the same type stuff. For instance, Friday and Saturday mornings look pretty strong. But Monday morning I'll be on stand for sure. The vertical red line sits over a 180* wind direction change and overall wind speed that day is going to be quite mild.

1668618968809.png

Latest posts