Alright another one of my Dumb questions

BSK

So,

I just want to see how this goes.... what have time frame have you all killed more Deer at? Morning Afternoon? or evening Sits? I have only killed in morning Sits in my experience. I have not seen a deer after 10a.m. except right at Dusk. Just want to see what you all experience.
Yes, it's time for another BSK graph!

[I'm fully aware some of you are thinking "If that a-hole posts another graph, I'm green striping him!"]

This isn't kills, but older buck sightings rates (2 1/2+ year-old bucks seen per hunting hour). What I find interesting is just how variable it is between years. Some years, morning hunts are about as good as afternoon hunts. But some years it is way one way or the other, much better in the evenings or much better in the mornings. I have no idea what drives these differences in mornings versus evening on a year to year basis. Originally, I thought it might be acorns crops, but we've had great evening years and bad evening years during a big acorn crop, as well as good and bad morning years during big acorn years.

Attachments

• OlderAmPm.jpg
    OlderAmPm.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52

BSK

Another interesting note: When we first bought and started hunting our property, it was all big hardwoods. During bow season, buck sightings were equally split between mornings and evenings. However, the later in the year it got, mornings became more and more dominant. In fact, by gun season, it wasn't even worth hunting in the evenings. I think we went years of gun seasons without seeing a buck in the evenings. Yet all of that changed once we began altering the habitat. The more timber we cut (creating brushy areas), and the more food plot acreage we created, the better the afternoon hunting got during November. Now, the two (mornings versus evenings) are about equal. Habitat definitely plays a role in best hunting times mornings versus evenings.

Last edited:

Snake

Reason I hunt mostly in the mornings besides dealing with a deer in the dark is I have very few places that has open areas as in fields or food plots . On one lease we used to have in Lincoln Co. had alot of fields so I would hunt there in the evenings . From what I've learned deer seem to come into a field right before sunset . Mostly deer once being hunted seem to get out of a field before sunup .

DMD

Yes, it's time for another BSK graph!

[I'm fully aware some of you are thinking "If that a-hole posts another graph, I'm green striping him!"]

This isn't kills, but older buck sightings rates (2 1/2+ year-old bucks seen per hunting hour). What I find interesting is just how variable it is between years. Some years, morning hunts are about as good as afternoon hunts. But some years it is way one way or the other, much better in the evenings or much better in the mornings. I have no idea what drives these differences in mornings versus evening on a year to year basis. Originally, I thought it might be acorns crops, but we've had great evening years and bad evening years during a big acorn crop, as well as good and bad morning years during big acorn years.
Excellent info. Thanks BSK

BSK

Actually, looking at my own data I just realized morning hunts produce far more consisting older buck sighting rates year to year. Evenings are far more variable from year to year. Some years great, some years terrible. Again, no idea why.

lafn96

Another interesting note: When we first bought and started hunting our property, it was all big hardwoods. During bow season, buck sightings were equally split between mornings and evenings. However, the later in the year it got, mornings became more and more dominant. In fact, by gun season, it wasn't even worth hunting in the evenings. I think we went years of gun seasons without seeing a buck in the evenings. Yet all of that changed once we began altering the habitat. The more timber we cut (creating brushy areas), and the more food plot acreage we created, the better the afternoon hunting got during November. Now, the two (mornings versus evenings) are about equal. Habitat definitely plays a role in best hunting times mornings versus evenings.
That would make sense for me. Only been here in TN for 18 months, prior to that all my deer hunting experience was in NE where we would always hunt over corn fields. Evenings were always best. Hunting ridges, draws, and big woods is a completely new learning experience for me.

UTGrad

I've had success both morning and evening but….

….I'm a better evening hunter. My focus and anticipation builds during the hunts. Im better at sitting still and watching the woods. Mornings hunts if it gets slow, I start to lose focus and have doubts if anything is going to be moving.

C1295

@CCAGLE95 , just remember there's no such thing as dumb questions. Just dumb people asking questions! 😀 Jkjk
Thanks brother I definitely fall in the dumb people category 🤣 y'all have seen how I talk. Remeber ima real Jethro Bodine… that's what that feller told me the first week I was on here 🤣

philsanchez76

for shooting does evenings are better for me. For older bucks it seems they move a little more in cold mornings vs a cold evening. ive never seen or killed a deer in the middle of the day. I know people do it every year, I just never have.

Union Co. Boy

By far most of my deer have been morning deer. Don't really have an educated answer, but every good buck I've ever killed has been in the morning.

UTGrad

I've got spots that are good morning spots and good evening spots. Go figure.

UTGrad

I have killed more from 10-2 but I usually hunt public and everyone walks out for lunch and unintentionally bumps deer pushing them around

I've tried for years to sit from 10-2 to cash in on this mid day deer I read about and never had any luck. The places I hunt, deer are not moving from 10-2 unless it's peak rut.

BSK

I've tried for years to sit from 10-2 to cash in on this mid day deer I read about and never had any luck. The places I hunt, deer are not moving from 10-2 unless it's peak rut.
As Squirle hunter pointed out, I think that mid-day peak generally only occurs in heavily hunted areas. I've been tracking mature buck movement via trail-camera on my place for many years, using camera pointed at as many different types of deer traffic areas and bottlenecks as I can identify, and I've seen very little mid-day movement. Some will argue, "Well you just don't have the cameras in the right spots." Maybe, but highly unlikely.

Attachments

• TimeMatureNov.jpg
    TimeMatureNov.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts