Questions on making jerky

TNRAMBLINGMAN

Does anyone ever use what you would normally grind for burger and just make it into jerky (not grinding it, but just drying it)?

I have a couple trays of meat ready to make burger with and I was thinking of using some of those cuts to make jerky. Jerky is a little chewy anyway so I was wondering abut skipping making burger and just use that stuff to make jerky if I could cut into slices and pieces.

Open to ideas.

kaizen leader

Does anyone ever use what you would normally grind for burger and just make it into jerky (not grinding it, but just drying it)?

I have a couple trays of meat ready to make burger with and I was thinking of using some of those cuts to make jerky. Jerky is a little chewy anyway so I was wondering abut skipping making burger and just use that stuff to make jerky if I could cut into slices and pieces.

Open to ideas.
It makes great small jerky pieces. Just cut off the tendons. Very good.

Omega

Many of the pieces I grind are trimmings that may have silver skin and other connective tissue so wouldn't IMO make good jerky. I grind it and use a jerky shooter to make jerky, comes out great and hard to tell it was ground while eating it.

Smo

Yes , I slice it with the slicer as thin as possible..
With the grain of the meat..

Marinate overnight in what ever mixture you choose , then place on trays and dehydrate till the jerky is dried… Preferably where it tears easily..

2E3DA449-584D-46E8-8C25-F15B9D38FBAB.jpeg

Omega

You'll be pleasantly surprised. I get the spices from Nesco, one packet of spices and one packet of cure per lb makes it simple. The jerky shooter I got is from LEM, great kit. I originally got a Nesco kit given to me, it stayed unopened for years until I decided to try it, and now that's the only way I make it.
A jerkey gun is on my Christmas list.

I've always made my jerkey from whole muscle groups, but going to grind it this year first

Last edited:

TX300mag

I try to think about return for amount of effort. Generally top round, bottom round, eye of round, and sirloin (not tip) go to whole meat jerky. Sometimes even backstrap when in abundance (gasp). I've done trimmings before but it's tricky drying uneven pieces and a lot of work to get clean enough.

Snake

Open to ideas.
My son always made jerky with burger . He said mixing the recipe was much better and not as tough .

TN Larry

Any advice on making jerky from burger? Do you use the same recipe as with regular jerky? Do you have to use a cure?

My current recipe for regular jerky is allegro hot and spicy with brown sugar and crushed cayan pepper added.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I usually get a couple of whole deer, minus backstraps and tenderloins, ground with no fat added. Just follow the directions that come with the LEM seasoning mixes and use a jerky shooter. It is the only way I make my jerky now.

Ski

I've used ground venison out of a jerky gun for many years and it's always great. I put a little worsty sauce and soy sauce with garlic and onion powders in then sprinkle with black pepper when it's on the drying rack.

waterman

You'll be pleasantly surprised. I get the spices from Nesco, one packet of spices and one packet of cure per lb makes it simple. The jerky shooter I got is from LEM, great kit. I originally got a Nesco kit given to me, it stayed unopened for years until I decided to try it, and now that's the only way I make it.
nesco is my go to as well. i use the LEM jerky cannon

Latest posts