Alright another one of my Dumb questions

C1295

So,

I just want to see how this goes.... what have time frame have you all killed more Deer at? Morning Afternoon? or evening Sits? I have only killed in morning Sits in my experience. I have not seen a deer after 10a.m. except right at Dusk. Just want to see what you all experience.

Dennis

The time of day I have seen the most deer depended on which spot I was hunting and time of year.

Personally I've probably killed more in the afternoon or evening simply because I hunt more afternoons and evenings as compared to mornings. But that being said, I much prefer to shoot one in the morning, because I hate tracking in the dark.

kkh325

Both Morning and Evening. Not as many during the middle of the Day. Usually the ones I have taken during the middle of the Day was Deer that was moving to get away from other hunters walking in the woods.

Kmushrooman

For me, evening is when I see more deer. It is harder to deal with em though. Tracking, gutting, cleaning and more are a little more difficult. Mornings I still see a lot of deer it just seems not as many but not by much. Just go when you can.

DMD

Just for context - I have been hunting for 40 years this year. I've killed deer all hours of the day. I went through in my mind and tried to remember when I killed the bucks that I had mounted - these may not be exact, but it's pretty close:
7-8 am: 4 bucks
8-9 am: 3 bucks
9-10 am: 4 bucks
10-11: 1 bucks
11-12: 1 buck
1-2: 0 bucks
2-3: 1 buck
3-4: 0 bucks
4-5: 0 bucks
Evening: 3 bucks

Now, I've never been much of an evening hunter, but have hunted in the evenings more the last 3 years than the rest of my life combined. Two of the evening bucks were killed 2 years ago.

Last edited:

casjoker

I have shot more in the morning but have passed on more in the evening for the reasons mentioned above. The pain in the a$$ factor on an evening kill can be significant. Several people swear by the 10-1 time frame during the rut. I can't think of a single deer I have ever killed during those hours that another hunter hadn't moved.

deerhunter10

Almost 50/50. I am 1 highier on the afternoon then mornings. Time frame I kill the majority around 830 to 9 a few earlier a few later. Killed 1 middle of the day 11:45. Have killed quite a few deer 330 to 4 and then of course the last 30 minutes.

rem270

I have 8 deer mounted. 5 were in the late afternoon and 3 in the morning. If I was only allowed to hunt one or the other I believe I'd take afternoon hunts.

DoubleRidge

Majority for me have been in the morning but the last three bucks taken off our place have been in the evening and over the years I have also killed a couple bucks midday during the rut. But these warmer daytime temps have not been so favorable for midday movement but I still see a few....basically for me I save vacation time to use during November. So I'm off work and hunt...pack snacks, water and sit all day.

Latest posts