AK-47 or AR-15

SilverFox

I've been tossing around the thought of buying an AK-47 lately. I have an AR-15 right now. I don't know much about them... what are some of the better brands out there and what should I stay away from? I don't know if I want to keep my AR or sell it. I have a heavy barrel carbine and the wife says it's too heavy for her. I was thinking that an AK without wood may would be lighter for her to handle. I'm not a fan of the lightweight AR stuff.

infoman jr.

In my humble opinion, AKs belong in the trash. The AR is a FAR superior platform.

What about a lightweight AK would be more desirable than a lightweight AR?

SilverFox

I figure with a stamped receiver and composite hardware it would be less weight. I don't think anyone can say an AR is as reliable in all conditions as an AK from what I've read and seen... not first hand knowledge but some of the test I've seen on reliability suggest the AR should be in the garbage.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on either platform. This is why I'm asking others. I don't plan of having either for use as a sniper rifle. All I have currently is a red dot on my AR. I've been looking for a light. That as far as I want to take it.

infoman jr.

OK, so the garbage comment was a little over the top. As far as AR reliability...they've come a long way in the last 50 years. I design AR platforms for a living, so I may be a bit biased, but I can honestly say that I've never had a single malfunction in any of my ARs. Just feed them good ammo, and they'll be good to you.

SilverFox

In my limited experience with an AR, I've never had a malfunction either. I've only owned 2. One was a Colt HBar and now the Windham HBC. I have only fired around 100 rounds. The Windham I've only ran one 30 round mag in it. Finding a range local to me where I can run it has proven to be difficult if you want to shoot over 25 yards. I haven't shot it since adding the red dot. It's set to cowitness. I'd like to eventually remove the carry handle and put flip up front and rear sights if I keep it along with a better red dot. I've added a quad rail, single point sling and a padded adjustable butt. Other than that it is stock.

JimFromTN

The AK is the people's gun. Its a very simple configuration. It really should not be compared to an AR. You will typically be giving up accuracy when you go with the AK over an AR. There are some more expensive ones out there which may be more accurate but your typical Chinese and eastern block ak's will not be. I have not heard of one brand being any worse than another. In most cases, AK's are AK's.

SilverFox

I like the thought of 30 caliber and simple. It'll be a home defense weapon if I buy it, not something I'll shoot out hundreds on yards.

I was on the AK hunt when I bought the AR last year. I just talked myself out of it thinking I would like the AR for all the aftermarket stuff. A home defense weapon has to have the cool factor since you'll be the only one looking at it! LOL

KPH

I am a little prejudice. I don't want any gun the Charlie packed out of the jungle. That being said from what I have seen of them they are a tuff gun can take a lot of abuse.

infoman jr.

picard.gif

SilverFox

A shotgun with birdshot in most cases is going to blow right past walls also. Buckshot even worse due to powder load. There's really not much safe options for home defense if you miss your intended target... even then sometimes it's going to go places you did not intend for it to. Most homes, at least the ones I can afford, are small enough where you're hoping none of your family is in any direction you're firing.

LanceS4803

AK vs AR
Vanilla vs chocolate
Depends on what I am in the mood for, at the moment.

This is my favorite AK: 1963 Izhevsk that has been there and done that.

paincave_2000

Romanian will be the cheapest and easiest to find but based on past experiences,I wouldn't have another one. Bulgarian,Polish,MAADI,Hungarian and even most Chinese are all good ones. Prices will vary from $500 up depending, if I were wanting another one,it would be an Arsenal.

Hunter 257W

When I decided to get a semi-auto centerfire for plinking I chose the AK purely based on cost. The rifle was a lot cheaper than the AR and 7.62x39 ammo was a lot cheaper than 223 too. I wanted something I could take out and shoot 500 rounds in a single session and afford it. Also, no way am I going to reload for a brass scattering semi-auto, so factory/surplus ammo cost was a big factor. When I got my 1st AK from the UPS man, my 1st impression was as Infoman said above about AK's being junk! :) But then I settled down and decided to not judge based on appearance of the internal parts - especially the springs which were made of twisted wire. :shock: With use I learned to love that ugly, cheap looking little Chinese rifle! It shot plenty accurate enough to blast gallon milk jugs at 100 yards offhand with the open sights and it would take any amount of abuse I threw at it. Even to the point of letting the bolt rust shut when I put it away without cleaning after shooting a large amount of corrosive ammo one time. I literally stomped the bolt handle until it broke loose, took It apart and sprayed it with Gunk brand carburetor cleaner and put it back together. It never missed a beat and has always fed perfectly. I bought 2 more Chinese AK's after that, 1 of which is a forged receiver. I'd still chose an AK over an AR now mostly because of the price. For what I want out of such a rifle, the difference in accuracy is not significant. If I want a real accurate rifle, I'll get a bolt action. For a semi-auto, 3 moa is plenty for my needs.

Latest posts