Buy or build an AR ?

Mattt

For your first one, buy a complete brand-new rifle. There are a ton of quality low-cost (for the times) options out there. Once you (or he) is into the AR, you can better make the decision on exactly what you want and if you want to build one. I personally don't think you can do a quality build for much less, if any, than you can get a new rifle from a quality mfg.
Building is fairly easy but I would agree with buying a complete one the first time.

Pic IN the Casa

I'm with the others. PSA or look on wikiarms for deals. I've had a Panther Arms DPMS that the purists would probably giggle at the brand but it never missed a beat.
Buy a cheaper AR and put a quality scope on it. Buy magazines and buy ammo.

Carlos

I agree with the guys who recommended PSA. I got a couple of their fully assembled rifles, they're great.

Before you buy one.... what's he going to do with it? Is it for target practice? Varmints, 2 legged, or 4 legged?

That's an important thing to consider before buying.

MR Yote

Also be mindful of the brace situation going on right now. I'm assuming it will be in the 16" barrel flavor, if so the brace situation is not an issue. Good luck with your buy or build sir.

Remington700

Both ways are are good options. I have purchased several and both are fun. Like all firearms there are levels to it and what you want to spend. Me personally I like Colts and BCM's, but they are a little more than a Bushmaster or S&W. Get on the BCM site and click around and see what you can built and a final price.

GreyGoose

Smith and Wesson offering a $100.00 back right now. I personally do not have one but this appears to be a descent deal

Attachments

• 1D122B60-49CC-4F4C-851C-45FA7F4480B1.png
    1D122B60-49CC-4F4C-851C-45FA7F4480B1.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 51

M T Pockets 000

I have one most of you probably have never heard of. Got it a few years ago from Harvey's in K-town. I reckon it's had 100 rounds run thru it. I don't use it much but it has not given any problems. Here is a link if you want to check them out.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'd get one without the M16-style front post sight. Best way to shoot these is with a red dot or scope.

At the time I got my Ruger MPR, it was utterly impossible to build one for all the features it has. The trigger is magnificent, accuracy is great, and muzzle rise is almost nothing even compared to other AR's—it's a rifle-length gas system instead of a short length. Muzzle break is loud but excellent. MLOCK rails all around make it stupid customizable.

Only upgrade I'd consider is a nickel-boron BCG, but it doesn't need it.

WestTN2288

If you've already owned a couple and are familiar with what parts of the gun are worth putting extra money in to, you can build one MUCH cheaper with some patience…. But you have to put it together

DaveTN

I don't know anything about this Mfg, but KY Guns has them on sale for $400.

Latest posts