Buy or build an AR ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
About the only thing I know about an AR style rifle is, they ain't for me.
My son wants one.
Thinking about surprising him with one.
I want a quality rifle but I would like to spend as little as possible, of course.
Is my best bet order the parts and "build" one, or just buy it off the shelf?
May be an impossible question but I figure ya'll will know. LOL

Red-Team-98

Compass Lake upper with Douglas barrel
He retired as Fort Campbell Sniper School Instructor and started Compass Lake. Everything else PRI. Maybe a Colt lower and SSA-E trigger

Last edited:

DaveTN

Is my best bet order the parts and "build" one, or just buy it off the shelf?
For your first one, buy a complete brand-new rifle. There are a ton of quality low-cost (for the times) options out there. Once you (or he) is into the AR, you can better make the decision on exactly what you want and if you want to build one. I personally don't think you can do a quality build for much less, if any, than you can get a new rifle from a quality mfg.

Madbowh

Buy one complete, if there's certain things he wants he can swap them out.

You buy a your kid a car you don't put shiny rims a nice new radio and lights for them, they want the extras the way they like it they'll get it somehow.

I would go more in the direction he's looking for somewhat... brand or caliberand let him fix it how he likes it

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I said the same thing for years. Then I got one. They are fun to shoot. Relatively cheap to shoot. You can customize them a million different ways. If you ever get one or go shoot with your son, you might get hooked!
I have owned 3 of them, maybe 4, don't remember.
Sold one of them before I ever shot it.
I'm sure they would be fun to shoot but I'm just a bolt action guy.
I would like to have a mini 14 though.

DaveTN

I have owned 3 of them, maybe 4, don't remember.
Sold one of them before I ever shot it.
I'm sure they would be fun to shoot but I'm just a bolt action guy.
I would like to have a mini 14 though.
I'm a bolt guy also and don't really care for the aesthetics of the AR. But to me it's a tool that fills an application. The application for my .22 AR is cheap trigger time. The application for my .223 AR was longer distance target shooting at a lower cost. Now the lower cost went out the window. My AR-10 is the most versatile rifle I own and would be my choice if I could only have one rifle. It will do it all, home defense, long range target shooting, SHTF, and is in the best rifle caliber I think was ever created for all around use. It isn't as pretty or doesn't have the long-range accuracy of my bolt guns, but it is hands down the most versatile rifle I have ever owned.

lafn96

I'm a bolt guy also and don't really care for the aesthetics of the AR. But to me it's a tool that fills an application. The application for my .22 AR is cheap trigger time. The application for my .223 AR was longer distance target shooting at a lower cost. Now the lower cost went out the window. My AR-10 is the most versatile rifle I own and would be my choice if I could only have one rifle. It will do it all, home defense, long range target shooting, SHTF, and is in the best rifle caliber I think was ever created for all around use. It isn't as pretty or doesn't have the long-range accuracy of my bolt guns, but it is hands down the most versatile rifle I have ever owned.
CMMG makes a .22LR conversion bolt and mags, so you can shoot 22LR out of your 5.56 or 223 AR. I think I got mine on sale with 3 mags for around $120 or so.

Madbowh

I'm not much on them myself in general but I'm kicking myself for passing a 9mm ar for 250 about 10yr ago, just a friendly offer. I only really think of mag capacity then 2 mags taped together upside down you've got 60rds ready. A lady in Texas had 4 migrants at her door jiggling handle with an ar in her hand. Pistol probably won't help there

Latest posts