AK-47

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Depends on your definition of accurate. It is not a sub minute of angle precision target rifle, and it was never designed for that purpose.
I have asked people that told me how inaccurate my ak's were if they were confident enough in their statement to go stand downrange at 300 yards and have 3 rounds fired at them from a properly aimed ak fired by a trained and experienced operator.
No takers so far.
I guess that you're right about depending on the definition of accuracy. But that caveat can be given to any firearm. You are also correct that they were never designed to be super accurate. One of Kalishnakov's design parameters was somewhat loose tolerances for easier/cheaper mass production and high reliability. The AK was designed to be dropped in a mud puddle or pile of sand, shaken out, but still be able to go bang reliably over and over again. It performs that function remarkably well.

I'll speak to mil surp only, but short site radius with a less than ideal sight picture, varying bore diameters, loose chambers, and loose fit tolerances do not make for a very accurate combination. Custom made guns, and/or some military upgrades that have been performed by several different governments, are exceptions.

I've owned or shot several. They are fun to shoot. My SKSs were more accurate, but even that is relative. I kinda wish that I had one of each of those still, but my ARs are more accurate and functional for my use. It can be argued that the AK platform is more reliable than the M16/AR15 platform

BlackBelt

I deer hunted a half season with an AK years ago after Senator Schumer made the widely publicized statement that "nobody goes deer hunting with an AK47".
I took a doe with a full stocked Norinco AKS 7.62x39. The shot distance was about 80 yards, maybe a tad more. I also hunted a few times with a Norinco SKS that year, but didnt see any deer on those trips. However, that rifle was more than accurate enough to take a deer had I seen one.
Normally I wouldn't choose an AK or SKS as my primary big game hunting rifle. But if it was all I had I certainly would feel well equipped for the mission at average TN deer rifle hunting distances.

mossyoakmantn

I hinted with an ak when I lived in florida. I dropped a doe where she stood with some ballistic tips
I deer hunted a half season with an AK years ago after Senator Schumer made the widely publicized statement that "nobody goes deer hunting with an AK47".
I took a doe with a full stocked Norinco AKS 7.62x39. The shot distance was about 80 yards, maybe a tad more. I also hunted a few times with a Norinco SKS that year, but didnt see any deer on those trips. However, that rifle was more than accurate enough to take a deer had I seen one.
Normally I wouldn't choose an AK or SKS as my primary big game hunting rifle. But if it was all I had I certainly would feel well equipped for the mission at average TN deer rifle hunting distances.

DaveB

Depends on your definition of accurate. It is not a sub minute of angle precision target rifle, and it was never designed for that purpose.
I have asked people that told me how inaccurate my ak's were if they were confident enough in their statement to go stand downrange at 300 yards and have 3 rounds fired at them from a properly aimed ak fired by a trained and experienced operator.
No takers so far.
Tell ya what. We are 300 yards apart. One of us has an AR the other an AK. Both are standard issue. Neither one has been outfitted with anything from the after-market world.

Which rifle you want.

Latest posts