AK people

TheAirMan

I'm kinda wanting one to play with. However, I don't know much about them. Can someone recommend one. Not opposed to and actually prefer used. Will not be my primary defense of shtf gun so I'm not really looking for top of the line. However, I don't want complete crap either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

I don't think there are any bad ones as far as functioning is concerned?? And reliability is what AK's are good at. My 1st one was a Norinco and when I 1st took the dust cover off and looked inside of it, I felt sick looking at how crude and cheap it looked. (I ordered it through Shotgun news, so I didn't ever look at one before buying.) Well, after many thousands of rounds and more abuse than any 10 rifles should receive, it's still as reliable as ever. I consider it my main defensive rifle in fact. It was bought new in the late 1980's.

I've since bought 2 others - both Chinese also but not Norinco's - at least I think they aren't. I never pay any attention to what they are honestly. They are just AK's. :) One has a thumbhole stock and the other a sporting rifle buttstock such as a normal bolt action rifle might have. Both obviously manufactured in response to Slick Willie's assault weapon ban and his definition of what constituted an assault weapon. The later has a forged receiver. From a design standpoint, forged is better than stamped, but from a practicality point I doubt it makes any difference to the majority of shooters. It would take more ammo than you or I would ever want to pay for to wear out a stamped receiver.

pcrc

More about the builder than the country of origin when it comes to quality. Go to the AK forums and you can find all you need to know. You cant kill one if it is done right. Given a choice between picking up an AR or an AK out the mud even a American soldier will grab the AK.

Latest posts