Any AK 47 guys here?

southernhunter

I recently got my first AK. It's norinco mak90 . I love the gun but can't stand the sighting system. I have researched for hrs looking for a decent option on mounting a red dot on the gun. I have saw a few with promise but you always get that one guy with a bad review. Just wondering if anyone here knows of a option?

southernhunter

I thought about that. I was told not to because it would decrease the value of the mac90. In case I want to resale some day. I was looking at a TWS rail cover that replaces the rear sight and hooks into the rear cover button.

Hunter 257W

I've got 3 AK's and have never considered altering them in any way. I consider them great for what they are and if I want more accuracy than the standard open sights deliver, I'll use another rifle. I like their simplicity and ruggedness. Never have even looked at options for attaching a sight. You don't have a lot of surfaces to work with though with the dust cover being just sheet metal and subject to slipping around and the gas piston on top of the rear barrel area.

LanceS4803

southernhunter":3mnn72j4 said:
I thought about that. I was told not to because it would decrease the value of the mac90. In case I want to resale some day. I was looking at a TWS rail cover that replaces the rear sight and hooks into the rear cover button.

Your rifle isn't really considered "collectable", so adding a scope rail wouldn't hurt the value.
Unless you have the tooling for riveting on an AK, riveting a scope rail isn't a DIY job. Heck, even with riveting experience, it is going to be tough to get the alignment correct. I've done two (Russian AK-74 and Russian RPK-74) and really sweated over if I got them right. Bulgarian rails are out there and cheaply available. I would send it off.
If you really want to mount, the top cover mount you described will work. Your head position will be way up there unless you get an ultra small red dot.
I'd leave as is.

southernhunter

I can't shoot it with factory sights worth a flip due to my eyes. I thinking I may trade it off for a ak that has more mounting options, I really like the mak 90 though it seems to be built well.

LanceS4803

They are built pretty sturdy.
There are a few companies that are selling AKs with rails already installed. Might be the way to go.

GreyGoose

cant find anything as far as set price.i just know that back in january when they hit the shot show,i had to have one.they got a new company in florida.i just hope that their not crazy priced.they say that they want to hit market under $1000.00.obviously there will be different models and configurations.