Any tricks to…..

MickThompson

But the question is, won't it expand and possibly split the wood/stock?

Sorry, but I tend to overthink a situation….. nature of my previous life.
No, epoxy doesn't expand. It cures into a resin, bonding to the threads and wood and strengthening the wood. A lot of boats get built with it as the resin in the glass. A good epoxy will actually be stronger than both materials it is bonding. It won't stick to plastics worth a rip though.

JCDEERMAN

Yes! 1990 CS in .35 REM

IF it has a scratch on it I couldn't find it. Shoots and cycled shells great. Front sights removed and XS sights placed by original owner. I found a front ramp and hood in great shape to take that back to original and I am putting a DNZ scope mount & Vortex 1x4x24 scope on it.
That's awesome! Ours is vintage - older than me and I'm fixing to turn 40! My dad killed his first deer [button buck with it and I killed my first deer with it (1995 button buck as well)]…30 years to the DAY. If my math is right, that's 58 years! It's my go-to gun and only take it out if it's not calling for rain or snow. Clean it after every shot and atleast twice a year if not shot. It's mint condition. It's obviously been through several scopes, but I upgraded it right before Nikon went out of business with a 3x9x50. It's my go-to, as I hunt very close-quarter thick managed land. Closest shot, maybe 5 yards - longest shot 115.

As an aside story, back around 2015, we were in our cabin having some brews one night and I bragged about every deer I had ever shot with the gun had dropped straight to the ground. Low-and-behold, the next morning, I shot a doe and she ran 30 yards before crashing. I got hell for that one, but just goes to show, a 200g shell will knock the piss out of them. Probably shot over 30 deer with that gun.

Enjoy!

DaveB

Virgin stock.
Note the fixes for the coarse thread screw issue.

Look at this as a solution that reduces the fail potential.

If one fine thread bolt is too short and other too long, break out the Dremel and grind it down. Add a touch of primerless loc-tite red. Your objective is to stop movement of the swivel SCREW.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Does it involve Indian Jones and the temple of Doom to extract it??? Yes, I would be.
It's at a new gun store on my route up here in Sevierville. He's a solid guy that has several businesses and restaurants.

7mm08

It's at a new gun store on my route up here in Sevierville. He's a solid guy that has several businesses and restaurants.
UPSman IS " THE MAN" !

My hunting buddy and I now have enough to shoot deer out of our nursing home windows!!!!

Attachments

• 3874B4C9-EF91-4E7D-AC49-AFB180A19D0B.jpeg
    3874B4C9-EF91-4E7D-AC49-AFB180A19D0B.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 52

Snowwolfe

I found the coarse threaded screw arrangement to be a point of failure.

You twist your sling the wrong way, the screw is unloosened ever so slightly. Repeat, the screw gets a bit more loose.

I threw the 700 ADL on my shoulder to have both hands free negotiating a slippery muddy crossing. The top screw pulled out rifle flipped barrel down into 6 inches of mud. Hunt over.

Can't reuse the coarse screw, hole is too large.

Also happened on Bell&Carlson stock for Winchester model 70 in 300 WinMag so it isn't just wood. D&990374576490 screw is too coarse and the leverage of the sling can loosen it up. Even if you catch it, you are making the hole loose. Eventually it will pull out.

Look for something more solid. My solution is more closely aligned to hanging mufflers with a coat hangar than a cool fix.
On the wood stock, slide in a toothpick with some Elmer's glue on it, tighten screw and allow it to dry.
On the B&C, same thing except use epoxy or fiberglass resin instead of Elmers.

7mm08

I gave my 336 a facelift today. I only need to add the rear sling mount. Added a front sight ramp/ hood , front sling mount, DNZ scope mount and scope, , and hammer assist. Laser assist ( $20 from Amazon) scope alignment and off to ORSA to see how I did.

Thanks for all the advice. Now to find a classic leather sling.

Attachments

• A5C0E170-67A5-46EA-B1C7-668209B253FF.jpeg
    A5C0E170-67A5-46EA-B1C7-668209B253FF.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 113F1BC8-6030-4778-A8D4-A9BAF582BF0D.jpeg
    113F1BC8-6030-4778-A8D4-A9BAF582BF0D.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 37

7mm08

A little range work today. Walked it down to the lower target and declared GETMO ( good enough to move on) or MOD ( minute of deer).
100y

Will shoot a few more when I have time and better weather.
1684267129416.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts