New to me .308

snaildarter

I've regretted selling the Win M70 I had in .308 a long time ago, so when I stumbled on this one I decided I needed it. It's a REM 788. Pretty sweet shooter even with the mile high see thru mounts and the Tasco "Pronghorn" scope.
IMG_7537.jpeg
IMG_7538.jpeg

Last edited:

Omega

For the longest time I always put see through rings on all my rifles, determined to shoot close in targets with the iron sights but never got the opportunity to do so, mainly because the scope was always easier to use. I now put low profile rings on any rifle I get, because I know I will never use iron sights, and most rifles don't come with them anyway. I think yours will be just fine as is, but there are so many aftermarket parts for Rems that you may find yourself changing everything a little at a time or all at once.

TnBob

My old buddy who passed away a couple of years ago had one of those in 7mm 08. It was a tack driver. Many deer fell to that rifle. I remember when he bought it, brand new, at the old Lickity Split store in Cookeville where the justice center is now.

tug

I've regretted selling the Win M70 I had in .308 a long time ago, so when I stumbled on this one I decided I needed it. It's a REM 788. Pretty sweet shooter even with the mile high see thru mounts and the Tasco "Pronghorn" scope.View attachment 208230View attachment 208231

Rail and a trigger.

Remove your irons. Put them in a zip lock, label the bag. Put it in your safe.

Float the barrel. You can do it easily with sandpaper and cascading sizes of deep sockets. Seal the channel you made.

If you are handy, you can glass bed. If not, just make sure you snug the forward action screw, and not so snug the rear action screw.

Now will have a sub-moa, mag fed rifle that will hold its value and you did not spend $1500.

tug

I've regretted selling the Win M70 I had in .308 a long time ago, so when I stumbled on this one I decided I needed it. It's a REM 788. Pretty sweet shooter even with the mile high see thru mounts and the Tasco "Pronghorn" scope.View attachment 208230View attachment 208231
And before I forget, if you reload, consider full length sizing all your brass. Be very careful with case length, especially if you neck size.

Sako

The Timney is a great upgrade for the gun... but keep in mind you might have to relieve some of the wood in the stock depending on the one you have

snaildarter

Rail and a trigger.

Remove your irons. Put them in a zip lock, label the bag. Put it in your safe.

Float the barrel. You can do it easily with sandpaper and cascading sizes of deep sockets. Seal the channel you made.

If you are handy, you can glass bed. If not, just make sure you snug the forward action screw, and not so snug the rear action screw.

Now will have a sub-moa, mag fed rifle that will hold its value and you did not spend $1500.
Thanks for the info! I've got a nice scope to put on it as soon as the rail arrives. I'll update as I work on it and get a load dialed in for it.

ADR

Thanks for the info! I've got a nice scope to put on it as soon as the rail arrives. I'll update as I work on it and get a load dialed in for it.
Not to be that guy, but the link tug sent you specifically said it does not fit .308. At least that's how I read it.
Please let me know if I read that wrong.

tug

Not to be that guy, but the link tug sent you specifically said it does not fit .308. At least that's how I read it.
Please let me know if I read that wrong.

Very good catch. This one will fit a 308. And they have a 0 MOA as well.

DaveTN

EGW makes some good stuff. I wonder why they are calling the .308 a long action? I'd check that. I wouldn't put a 20 MOA base on that rifle unless you are shooting over 600 yards. You may not be able to adjust to 100 yards.

tug

I confused the issue. I am expert at making simple things incomprehensible.

788s came in 3 action sizes. The .44 mag has a unique size. Then a short for the .222, 223. 22-250, and 30-30. A long for the 6mm, 243, 308 and 7mm-08.

I think most quality scopes can adjust to POI at 100yds with a 20 moa rail. For example, if you have 70 moa travel, you should be able to get to POI with 10 or more MOA left over. Probably. No guarantee.

There is a case to be made that if you zero at 100 and don't shoot long range, a 0 moa rail might be a better idea since it keeps the reticle in the middle of its available travel.

I have shot a 788 rifle (not carbine) out to 800 yards with a 0 rail and ran out of adjustment and reticle stadia before I ran out of accuracy and ballistics.

There are no perfect solutions. Only tradeoffs.

Grizzly Johnson

My dad had one, my brother got it after our dad's passing… it is in 243 caliber. I took my very first 3 deer with it. Have killed several more and my brother/his kids have killed deer with it… very accurate and reliable!!

Latest posts