Any tricks to…..

7mm08

Adding a sling mount to a wooden stock. Assume smaller drill bit than the screw going in.

It's going on a Marlin 336.

Thanks
1683078570781.jpeg

Carlos

This is a very brief how-to. I guess it's a simple task compared to everything else I've seen this guy do.

DaveB

I found the coarse threaded screw arrangement to be a point of failure.

You twist your sling the wrong way, the screw is unloosened ever so slightly. Repeat, the screw gets a bit more loose.

I threw the 700 ADL on my shoulder to have both hands free negotiating a slippery muddy crossing. The top screw pulled out rifle flipped barrel down into 6 inches of mud. Hunt over.

Can't reuse the coarse screw, hole is too large.

Also happened on Bell&Carlson stock for Winchester model 70 in 300 WinMag so it isn't just wood. D&990374576490 screw is too coarse and the leverage of the sling can loosen it up. Even if you catch it, you are making the hole loose. Eventually it will pull out.

Look for something more solid. My solution is more closely aligned to hanging mufflers with a coat hangar than a cool fix.

Carlos

What Ruger posted will work as well.

Or you could order a synthetic stock/forearm set for just $50. They really look great on those rifles IMO.

Jcalder

I found the coarse threaded screw arrangement to be a point of failure.

You twist your sling the wrong way, the screw is unloosened ever so slightly. Repeat, the screw gets a bit more loose.

I threw the 700 ADL on my shoulder to have both hands free negotiating a slippery muddy crossing. The top screw pulled out rifle flipped barrel down into 6 inches of mud. Hunt over.

Can't reuse the coarse screw, hole is too large.

Also happened on Bell&Carlson stock for Winchester model 70 in 300 WinMag so it isn't just wood. D&990374576490 screw is too coarse and the leverage of the sling can loosen it up. Even if you catch it, you are making the hole loose. Eventually it will pull out.

Look for something more solid. My solution is more closely aligned to hanging mufflers with a coat hangar than a cool fix.
Epoxy on the screw and it ain't moving

jlanecr500

After the stud is installed, the threads in the wood can be strengthened.
Remove the stud and put 3 or 4 drops of thin super glue in the threaded wood. Allow it to dry and reinstall the stud.

7mm08

Glad you finally found a 336!
Yes! 1990 CS in .35 REM

IF it has a scratch on it I couldn't find it. Shoots and cycled shells great. Front sights removed and XS sights placed by original owner. I found a front ramp and hood in great shape to take that back to original and I am putting a DNZ scope mount & Vortex Crossfire II 1x4x24 scope on it.

Last edited:

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
If you need ammo, I know where 5 cases of Hornady Leverolution 200 FTX is. $49 a box which is about the going rate nowadays I suppose.

Latest posts