I invented a Time Machine and I’m headed back to 1963

7mm08

With a fistful of dollars!

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpeg
    IMG_4707.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 30

DaveTN

I lost interest in lever guns and sold them in 2007. They were both Winchester Model 94's in 30-30. They were both in excellent shape. I sold one for $200 and one for $250. That's all they were going for at the time.

In 2021 I regained interest and paid over $1500 for a Model 1873 Taylors & Co. in .357 with a "Cody-Matic" action job from Cody Conagher. 🙃

tug

$100 in 1963 is worth $1,014.14 today

You can buy those today for about the same money. 🤣
When I was a kid in my grand father's gas station, we sold a gallon of regular gas for 30 cents, and a gallon of ethyl for 33 cents. There was no such thing as no-lead,

If today you had a mercury dime and a pre-1964 quarter, you could still by a gallon of gas for 35 cents.

Now, you tell me if gasoline (or common US guns) has increased in price, or if the value of the US currency is being destroyed.

Iglow

Go back a little farther and you could snap up the newly debuted Ruger Single Six 22 mag as well as some old cheap milsurps. Pick yourself up a wolf fur parka while you're at it.
View attachment 221828
My dad bought a surplus 1911 .45 and had it mailed to the house in 1959! No forms, no nothing. He paid a little over $12.00 for it shipping and all. We found the receipt in his stuff after he'd died in 1990.

DaveTN

When I was a kid in my grand father's gas station, we sold a gallon of regular gas for 30 cents, and a gallon of ethyl for 33 cents. There was no such thing as no-lead,

If today you had a mercury dime and a pre-1964 quarter, you could still by a gallon of gas for 35 cents.

Now, you tell me if gasoline (or common US guns) has increased in price, or if the value of the US currency is being destroyed.
Its inflation. The average salary in 1963 was $3700, today we see folks claiming they can't get by on $50K. Gas and guns both have their own reasons for their price increase other than inflation.

I remember .25 cent gas and .25 cent pack of cigarettes. I also remember odd/even days to be able to get gas, that had nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with politics, just as it does now.

tug

Its inflation. The average salary in 1963 was $3700, today we see folks claiming they can't get by on $50K. Gas and guns both have their own reasons for their price increase other than inflation.

I remember .25 cent gas and .25 cent pack of cigarettes. I also remember odd/even days to be able to get gas, that had nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with politics, just as it does now.
In the same vein, the price of a base Corvette has never changed. It is purposely priced at the annual salary of a mid-level manager. Think the manager of local steak house, or hardware store, grocery store.

david k.

The first deer rifle I ever bought was a 336A in probably 1978 or 1979 when I was about 16 years old but some low-life thief broke into my parents home and stole it along with a bolt action Remington 22 and a single shot Stevens 20 gauge...the bad part is that the thief was most likely someone I thought was a "friend" since the only things that were taken form the house were my guns and they knew exactly where they were.

DaveTN

The first deer rifle I ever bought was a 336A in probably 1978 or 1979 when I was about 16 years old but some low-life thief broke into my parents home and stole it along with a bolt action Remington 22 and a single shot Stevens 20 gauge...the bad part is that the thief was most likely someone I thought was a "friend" since the only things that were taken form the house were my guns and they knew exactly where they were.
The first duty revolver I bought was in 1978. It was a Smith & Wesson Model 19. Beautiful high gloss blue. We had to buy our own guns and leather back then. Police Officer price was $175.00 :)

7mm08

But, would you go to Dallas and stop the JFK assassination?
Likely……LBJ and the FBI killed him…… LBJ then gave the 13% welfare so they would vote Democratic for the next 100 years along with Union scum, escalated Vietnam killing 40,000 young men, wounded countless others, and escalated the drug scene…... Welfare gave incentives for baby daddies , violence, drugs, and endless fatherless children.

so yeah , I'd tell him to save the last true democrat and Hopefully LBJ is rotting in hell.

And I'd buy a new Chevy truck and fill it with lever action rifles!

Jon54

Likely……LBJ and the FBI killed him…… LBJ then gave the 13% welfare so they would vote Democratic for the next 100 years along with Union scum, escalated Vietnam killing 40,000 young men, wounded countless others, and escalated the drug scene…... Welfare gave incentives for baby daddies , violence, drugs, and endless fatherless children.

so yeah , I'd tell him to save the last true democrat and Hopefully LBJ is rotting in hell.

And I'd buy a new Chevy truck and fill it with lever action rifles!
I totally agree. While in hell would some of the Warren report still classified for "national security"? I also believe MLK was killed by the FBI and J Edgar Hoover. My wife's late uncle was a Memphis police detective and he once told me that one day he'd tell me what he knew. Sadly he died before doing so.