I may be a hypocrite…

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Well, I promise that my heart was in the right place… it's the thought that counts, right?

So just a short time ago I posted this:
And I meant it, I really, really did.

But then @reloadxx posted this:
And in the comments about it being for a donor action for my son, I meant that, I really, really did.

Then @Tenntrapper texted me about the history of it. I thought, "cool." And I had a nagging curiosity began to build in the back of my mind. I suppressed it for a little bit.

But…

Then…

I made a mistake. I shot the donor. I've always been told "don't shoot the donor," but I couldn't help it. I'm weak. I had bases, rings, a spare scope, and some hand loads sitting around for another 308, so I thought, "why not?" So I cleaned it up and put it all together, and at lunchtime today (working from home today) I hastily sighted it in and shot a single group.

And it began. That nagging feeling of, "I like this. It shoots well." And then, "I think I could make something else work for my son. He doesn't even know about this. It was going into the safe until at least Christmas of this year, or maybe next depending upon how he grows. I can work out something else for him."

And it all fell apart. My resolution may be over in two weeks. Now I will be shamed by @Uncle J in person, @Chippy and @MUP and @Hduke86 and maybe even @reloadxx by text, PM, and in TNDeer posts. And I will own it. I won't look away. No one will see the tears, because the tears will be inside. The tears of knowing that I'm an unintentional hypocrite, but also a happy one that I will have a new rifle to play with, albeit one for which I already have components and dies, etc. I don't know when I'll reload for it, but when I do it will be glorious.

So for now
Sad In A Box GIF

jlanecr500

I feel the same way. I bought a man bun gun a couple years ago for my grandson who would rather play a video game than do anything outside. (I don't approve of it but I've tried and tried to drag him off it to no avail. Even took games away as punishment for a messy room, etc.) Then last year I bought him a Ruger 243 which is unfired in the safe too. Anyway, I like Rock Creek match barrels so I bought a bearded manbun barrel, 6.5 prc, from nso and put it on a long action savage 338wm action I had. For some reason I had to have another so I drove to Chatt town and bought a new Bergara in 6.5 prc. Now, here I am, a " bigger bullet/caliber is always better kinda guy and have these manbun guns. I put the like new Creedmoor in the classifieds with a bunch of good stuff (if you're a reloader) but didn't get any takers. I hated to give away expensive components, etc so I decided to keep it. Ran some loads on QL and assembled a progression for each gun. Went to the range day before yesterday. The Savage Creedmoor found a 1/2moa node only .2gr lower than predicted. The Rock Creek did not disappoint with a 1/2 moa node .2gr above predicted with 140gr partitions. Imo, one of the hardest projectiles to get dialed in. The Bergara needs more tuning with the 156 EOL Bergers. Likely to the next node up.
The moral of the story is not to ever say I'm gonna weed them out because I'll only go in the other direction.
The Ole 30-06 still carries the mail, with comparable prc recoil, delivering more velocity and energy at legal hunting ranges and beyond.

Tenntrapper

I said I don't buy foreign guns....at least I never have. But now I have a bunch of Sig Sauer magazines that I'm not having any luck trading, so I might have to buy a Sig. I think that's an acceptable exception. Right???

🤣
Aren't they put together in New Hampshire...or someplace up there?

Uncle J

Just getting in from a long hard day of work and making a fresh pan of cornbread and seen this thread. Any shaming from me was only friendly gigging! Lol I'ld love to see you buy another toy this week if it were up to me! Just let me know if you need the addresses of some fine establishments in NC - they can setup you up this weekend! Haha

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Just getting in from a long hard day of work and making a fresh pan of cornbread and seen this thread. Any shaming from me was only friendly gigging! Lol I'ld love to see you buy another toy this week if it were up to me! Just let me know if you need the addresses of some fine establishments in NC - they can setup you up this weekend! Haha
I tell you what, I'll be glad to buy another this weekend… just send me your credit card # 🤣

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
No pic of the group? You also proved why I refused to shoot my donor action lol.
Ok, but realize that this was quickly shot in prone on uneven ground, on bipod, no squeeze bag or other rear support, and still pretty caffeinated. 75yd. First shot didn't feel good so I shot a four shot group. Order of fire is marked. I really think that it was my shooting causing this not to be better.
IMG_3155.jpeg

Uncle J

Ok, but realize that this was quickly shot in prone on uneven ground, on bipod, no squeeze bag or other rear support, and still pretty caffeinated. 75yd. First shot didn't feel good so I shot a four shot group. Order of fire is marked. I really think that it was my shooting causing this not to be better. View attachment 214431
That's how a man gets a nickname at work!

Chippy

Well, I promise that my heart was in the right place… it's the thought that counts, right?

So just a short time ago I posted this:
And I meant it, I really, really did.

But then @reloadxx posted this:
And in the comments about it being for a donor action for my son, I meant that, I really, really did.

Then @Tenntrapper texted me about the history of it. I thought, "cool." And I had a nagging curiosity began to build in the back of my mind. I suppressed it for a little bit.

But…

Then…

I made a mistake. I shot the donor. I've always been told "don't shoot the donor," but I couldn't help it. I'm weak. I had bases, rings, a spare scope, and some hand loads sitting around for another 308, so I thought, "why not?" So I cleaned it up and put it all together, and at lunchtime today (working from home today) I hastily sighted it in and shot a single group.

And it began. That nagging feeling of, "I like this. It shoots well." And then, "I think I could make something else work for my son. He doesn't even know about this. It was going into the safe until at least Christmas of this year, or maybe next depending upon how he grows. I can work out something else for him."

And it all fell apart. My resolution may be over in two weeks. Now I will be shamed by @Uncle J in person, @Chippy and @MUP and @Hduke86 and maybe even @reloadxx by text, PM, and in TNDeer posts. And I will own it. I won't look away. No one will see the tears, because the tears will be inside. The tears of knowing that I'm an unintentional hypocrite, but also a happy one that I will have a new rifle to play with, albeit one for which I already have components and dies, etc. I don't know when I'll reload for it, but when I do it will be glorious.

So for now
Sad In A Box GIF
No shame in your game are there???

DaveTN

Aren't they put together in New Hampshire...or someplace up there?
I don't know, I just started researching them. This is the claim they make....

Made in America
The company doesn't just produce firearms here in the States. It also designs and produces everything from ammo to optics.

Tom Taylor, SIG Sauer's chief marketing officer and executive vice president of commercial sales, succinctly summed this up: "SIG Sauer is an American company, and our firearms are 100 percent manufactured in the USA. Beyond that, and an even lesser known fact, is that SIG Sauer ammunition is made in Arkansas, while SIG Electro-Optics are made in Oregon."

nso123

Ok, but realize that this was quickly shot in prone on uneven ground, on bipod, no squeeze bag or other rear support, and still pretty caffeinated. 75yd. First shot didn't feel good so I shot a four shot group. Order of fire is marked. I really think that it was my shooting causing this not to be better. View attachment 214431
See, that first shot is where the healing took place. After that you are all better.

FredRog72

Now you have a very accurate gun to shoot while looking for the next "donor". I bought a Remington 700 in .308 a couple years ago with the same intent and now it's my go to hunting gun. I was unaware of the "don't shoot the donor gun" rule at the time!

Kids are tough and bounce back, especially if they don't know! LOL

It was great to finally meet you!

Latest posts