May buy new rifle

Daniel n

So I have been throwing around the idea of buying a new rifle. I have a couple of entry level bolt guns (savage axis, Remington 770), a few ARs, and a couple of lever guns. I think I'm ready for an upgrade(not that I think anything is wrong with those).

I haven't handled anything other than a savage 110. I think I want to take a look at the Savage 110 tactical or the cva cascade. I like the customization options for the 110 but I've read tons of reviews on the cascade and it all seems to be great. I'm also a sucker for the tactical look. I'm debating on .308 or 6.5. I have never made a shot passed 200 yards. I think it would be fun to try though.

I currently own .308, 30-06, and 7mm-08 ( not much longer) in bolt guns and I don't reload if that makes a difference.

Any other rifles that you all would recommend in the $800 range?

Smoke

If I was going to spend that much on a Savage id add just a little more and go with Tikka CTR if you like the tactical look. I've got 1 in 308 and 1 in 260. The 308 is a shooter and action smooth as butter and if you want to customize you can really make it yours. Left mine alone for a little bit then added Grayboe Phoenix stock and oversized bolt knob.
IMG_20211201_103713506_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221126_125149461_HDR.jpg

Remi

If I was going to spend that much on a Savage id add just a little more and go with Tikka CTR if you like the tactical look. I've got 1 in 308 and 1 in 260. The 308 is a shooter and action smooth as butter and if you want to customize you can really make it yours. Left mine alone for a little bit then added Grayboe Phoenix stock and oversized bolt knob.
View attachment 208040View attachment 208041

I have a tikka ctr in 6.5cm that's pretty dang awesome. I have a few Savages but they're not something I look at first. That said I am putting a 6cm barrel on my old 110 that has a .308 barrel on it now.

I shoot with a guy that shoots a 110 tactical and for another $200 he wishes he had sprung for a ctr. His shoots good but has weak extraction and ejection issues and the bore is very rough.

Tikka and Bergara are two that I look at.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
All mentioned are good options, but you need to go to the gun store and fondle them all a bit before you make your decision. Something that I like may not be your cup o' tea. Things like palm swell, position of safety, or configuration of magazine are things that people often overlook until they get it home and then they regret their decision.

I like the older Savages because I'm a DIYer / tinkerer, and the option to replace the barrel myself is appealing to me. With that being said, I'm not a fan of the bottom bolt release or the new stock lines on many models. Savages are often ugly, yet accurate and easy to work on.

Tikkas are often very accurate and smooth. Some people don't like their mag configuration (they also only hold 3 rounds in the standard mag), but that is likely a wash if you're looking at the CTR (fine rifle but I don't like the big mag sticking out of the bottom of a bolt gun). Some people don't like the plastic mag well surround and buy aftermarket parts through mountain tactical.

Bergaras are a Rem 700 clone, with some upgrades. They are often very accurate. Bolt not quite as smooth as the Tikka, but better than savage or factory rem. Aftermarket parts abound and are straightforward (don't have to know bolt spacing or era of gun to order them). A friend of mine who is not a gun guy traded for a base model Bergara 308 when ammo was scarce. I had components and worked up a load for him, but sighted it in with cheap factory FMJ ammo. I called dibs on it if he ever parted with it, as I couldn't find a load for it that WOULDN'T shoot very accurately, including the cheap factory FMJ. Bolt was a little sticky, and the finish (cheap bluing if I recall correctly) looked a little thin and like it would be apt to rust easily, so I would plan to cerakote it if I were to get it. Some Bergaras come with factory cerakote finishes

I have no experience with the Cascade, but I have heard very good things about them

1984dog

I have 2 Tikka T3's and a SAKO A7. A Tikka is like Toyota is to Lexus as they are made in the same factory in Finland. They are light (<6.5 lbs) and will give you a 1 MOA 3 shot guarantee using a factory load. They are very accurate without any modifications. My 308 Tikka can hit a dime at 100 yards. Outside of accuracy and weight, they have very smooth bolt action (like butter) and a very crisp trigger (probably the best factory trigger out there for a medium priced factory gun).

On the con side, I do not like the safety on the Tikka because the trigger is "live" during loading and unloading. To me this is a safety issue for a novice hunter or a young kid. Tikka's also have plastic stocks, plastic trigger gaurds and a plastic magazine which some people do not like. I have not had any issues with any of these over the past 10 years as they are very reliable. Both of my Tikka's are free floated (from the factory) and although they have plastic stocks - they are rigid and not in the same leauge as the economy Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg or Remingtons. The weight is another issue for some. They may be very accurate and reliable, but they should not be considered as a range gun as after 3 to 5 shots, you need to let the barrel cool. The SAKO A7 is much like a Tikka T3 but has a better safety.

Yes - I am a repeat customer.

Daniel n

After taking all of the input and traveling down rabbit hole after rabbit hole, I think I have settled on a Bergera B-14 in a HMR stock. I will have to save a bit more before purchase, but I think it will be worth the wait. Thanks everyone.

Carlos

You're probably already aware, but the Axis 2 comes with the adj trigger, the standard Axis does not.

DaveTN

Any other rifles that you all would recommend in the $800 range?
Remington, Savage, and Ruger will all have good choices regardless of your budget. I've had great performance with Remington for decades but haven't shot any of their new offerings since they changed hands. I don't buy foreign guns. Our American manufacturers need our support.

If you shoot a lot and don't reload, I'd recommend the .308 Winchester. It's owned this market for decades. Plus, you already have a gun in that caliber. Before spending a bunch of money on a designer caliber gun, you might want to do a comparison at the range if you have a friend that owns one.

Swampster

Rather than putting a price tag out there, research what you really want and save up to it. To me the gun I really want that is purchased one or two or three years from now is better than a compromise today.