New rifle

TRIGGER

Picked up my new rifle today.
Bergara ridge carbon in .308. Can't wait to shoot it. What process do you guys use to break the barrel in?
6445B210-4748-4E1C-83DA-E157458A2566.jpeg

gtk

Staff member
I just did research about breaking in my new gun as well. The only consistent statement was "clean before shooting".

Browning recommends shooting 10x and cleaning the barrel between shots each time, with an ammonia based copper solvent cleaner.

Another common statement was the only reason "break in instructions" are given now-a-days, is because customers want them . Most modern barrels do not require anything but a cleaning before shooting.

I split the difference and did the copper cleaning for 5 shots.

DaveTN

Here is what Bergara says about it.....

"Because of the honing system used in place of the bore reamers, the Bergara Barrel has a mirror-like surface prior to and after button rifling, little or no break-in is needed."

"If you still prefer to follow a break-in procedure, and many people do, we recommend the following:

Clean the barrel thoroughly after each shot for 5 to 10 shots. Then clean thoroughly after each 5 shot group until you reach 50 shots."

Whether you do a barrel break in procedure or not, making use of every shot to hone your shooting skill is one of the fundamentals I like to practice out on the range to better myself in the fields.

Be sure to make use of every shot fired. I like to practice fundamentals when completing a barrel break-in as opposed to just slinging lead down range and cleaning. This makes good use of ammunition and hones skills needed throughout the year. In closing, I hope at least something found within this blog is useful and makes your cleaning, storage, or break-in process a bit easier. At the end of the day it's about being happy with your Bergara rifle, ensuring that it retains its accuracy, and that the rifle can be used safely and reliably for many years to come. Shoot straight and I'll see you in the field!

TiminTN

I still use 40x on new barrel break in if said barrel copper fouls excessively. It's also useful to use lapping new barrels to smooth out the throat to remove tooling marks. It is more aggressive than Iosso. It "speeds up" the process and is used pryor to Iosso, which leaves a brighter finish. Thorough Clean is a phenomenal product.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I just did research about breaking in my new gun as well. The only consistent statement was "clean before shooting".

Browning recommends shooting 10x and cleaning the barrel between shots each time, with an ammonia based copper solvent cleaner.

Another common statement was the only reason "break in instructions" are given now-a-days, is because customers want them . Most modern barrels do not require anything but a cleaning before shooting.

I split the difference and did the copper cleaning for 5 shots.
There is nothing dirtier than a brand new gun.

backyardtndeer

That's a nice looking bergara. Should shoot well for you. I typically clean before the first round, then clean after every shot for the first several shots, then after every 5, depending on what the manufacturer suggests. Some barrels are lapped from the factory and don't need any break in.

TNRifleman

I've owned a few Bergara rifles. I typically give it a good cleaning out of the box, take it apart and clean all excess grease if any, put back together and torque the action screws to spec (55 in. lbs for a Bergara) and then go shoot. I have not ever followed a break in process with any of mine and feel like they have not suffered at all because of it. One thing I will say is that the Bergara's I have shot in 308 tend to favor heavier bullets. I would start with 165's and up. The Bergara Timber in 208 that I have loves 168 gr Berger Hybrids and 168 gr SMK's

BTW, congrats on the new setup. That thing looks awesome.

Tenntrapper

I have no idea if same for a centerfire, but... for the match barrel I just put on my 22lr, the break in is as follows...
For the first 30 rounds, clean every 5 shots. Then, for the next 70 rounds, clean every 10.

They claim...at that point, it's still not broken in, but is passed the "critical" point.... whatever that means.

TRIGGER

I've owned a few Bergara rifles. I typically give it a good cleaning out of the box, take it apart and clean all excess grease if any, put back together and torque the action screws to spec (55 in. lbs for a Bergara) and then go shoot. I have not ever followed a break in process with any of mine and feel like they have not suffered at all because of it. One thing I will say is that the Bergara's I have shot in 308 tend to favor heavier bullets. I would start with 165's and up. The Bergara Timber in 208 that I have loves 168 gr Berger Hybrids and 168 gr SMK's

BTW, congrats on the new setup. That thing looks awesome.
I finally got to spend some time with it. This gun loves 150 grain Norma soft points. I shot 165 grain Hornady American whitetail (Interlock), 168 grain Hornady Black (A-Max) and 180 grain Federal soft point and the Norma's shoot sub MOA.

TNRifleman

I finally got to spend some time with it. This gun loves 150 grain Norma soft points. I shot 165 grain Hornady American whitetail (Interlock), 168 grain Hornady Black (A-Max) and 180 grain Federal soft point and the Norma's shoot sub MOA.
Good deal. Honestly, over the last year, I have found Norma ammunition to be the most consistent and Hornday all over the place. Norma makes a 180 gr bondstrike that would be good to try as well if you can find any but that Norma soft point should be a great deer bullet.

Latest posts