I bought a Bergara BMR Carbon today

Ridgeline300

IMG_4343.jpeg
Been wanting a new light weight 22LR that could potentially be a tack driver and was either going to get the CA Ranger or this Bergara. Local shop had this one so I got it. Put a Hawke rimfire on top of it. Will see how it shoots tomorrow.
IMG_4342.jpeg

Remi

Those are nice. I shoot against few Bergara carbons and they all shoot great but all have a big cold bore shift. Their first 2-3 rounds even after reloading a mag are out. I'm curious if it's inherent to the rifle or if these guys got unlucky.

MUP

Those are nice. I shoot against few Bergara carbons and they all shoot great but all have a big cold bore shift. Their first 2-3 rounds even after reloading a mag are out. I'm curious if it's inherent to the rifle or if these guys got unlucky.
I'm really glad to hear that buddy. The guys that I compete against have decided to try Bergaras this season. I hope that little issue translates to an edge for my CZ. 👍🏻

Remi

I'm really glad to hear that buddy. The guys that I compete against have decided to try Bergaras this season. I hope that little issue translates to an edge for my CZ. 👍🏻

Their sighter targets are peppered because they'll sight in, shoot score until the mag runs out, load the mag, 3-4 sighters, shoot score until empty, repeat. One guy bought 5 mags to have fully loaded so he can swap instead of reload to save ammo.

It is not an issue with the steel Bergaras, only the carbon. I believe there are 4 carbon barrels and they all do it. One guys will be in the 4/5 ring after a reload and 3-4 shots later with no adjustments he will be 9/10 ring.

megalomaniac

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect it's the carbon barrel itself.

I'll find out Monday when I break in my new 7 PRCs bbl.

Think about it... tiny steel sleeve wrapped in carbon. The heat from a fired round goes into the tiny sleeve which heats up MUCH faster than a bull barrel. Plus the carbon wrap retains heat in the thin steel sleeve. This causes to shots to drift up on target. Manufacturers like to brag about how carbon wrap cools the barrel... when in actuality, it does the exact opposite... the outside is cool, but the bore is MUCH hotter than traditional steel.

I'm not sure I'd want a carbon barreled rifle if I were planning on shooting it a lot in close succession.

So why did I get one? Horrible tennis elbow for past year, and I'm having trouble maneuvering my 11lb bull bbl deer rifle around. I went with the Ridgeline FFT... 5lb 6oz naked.

Remi

Think about it... tiny steel sleeve wrapped in carbon. The heat from a fired round goes into the tiny sleeve which heats up MUCH faster than a bull barrel. Plus the carbon wrap retains heat in the thin steel sleeve. This causes to shots to drift up on target. Manufacturers like to brag about how carbon wrap cools the barrel... when in actuality, it does the exact opposite... the outside is cool, but the bore is MUCH hotter than traditional steel.

I'm not sure I'd want a carbon barreled rifle if I were planning on shooting it a lot in close succession.

So why did I get one? Horrible tennis elbow for past year, and I'm having trouble maneuvering my 11lb bull bbl deer rifle around. I went with the Ridgeline FFT... 5lb 6oz naked.

Yeah, we know that about the barrel. These will send the first 2-3 everywhere then settle in for the next 7-8 and shoot great. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure if there is anything more finicky than a 22lr, lol. These things will drive you crazy.

Ridgeline300

I have 3 carbon rifles. One savage ultralight in 6.5 CM and one Ridgeline FFT in 300 WM, now the bergara 22. Both deer rifles shoot great, better than any rifles I've ever shot but I don't shoot those more than a handful of shots at a time.

I shot the 22 bergara today and was very impressed. It was cold and very windy so I didn't get to crazy today. Only had one type of ammo to try here at the house, I'll pick up a few more types to try soon but the federal's I had on hand did awesome. Only shot at 30 yards just to get on paper. I only shot 15 times. The rifle came with a 5 rd mag and a 10 rd mag so I loaded both and went outside. Only took 3 shots to get close, then I shot the other 12 about at fast as I could run the bolt and settle in for the next shot. This is the last 12 shots at 30 yards.
IMG_4344.jpeg

TNRifleman

I have 3 carbon rifles. One savage ultralight in 6.5 CM and one Ridgeline FFT in 300 WM, now the bergara 22. Both deer rifles shoot great, better than any rifles I've ever shot but I don't shoot those more than a handful of shots at a time.

I shot the 22 bergara today and was very impressed. It was cold and very windy so I didn't get to crazy today. Only had one type of ammo to try here at the house, I'll pick up a few more types to try soon but the federal's I had on hand did awesome. Only shot at 30 yards just to get on paper. I only shot 15 times. The rifle came with a 5 rd mag and a 10 rd mag so I loaded both and went outside. Only took 3 shots to get close, then I shot the other 12 about at fast as I could run the bolt and settle in for the next shot. This is the last 12 shots at 30 yards. View attachment 215887
Looks like a good start. What ammo?

Latest posts