Buy or build an AR ?

DaveB

My Son just got a new Daniel Defense AR. Way too pricey for me but I will tell you the trigger is pretty good and the accuracy is superior. Barrel is threaded, too.
Suggestions:
1. Get ten 30 round magazines. More is okay
2. Get AT LEAST a mag lula loader or 3 and this

3. Get at least one of these
Amazon product ASIN B00HVDFSQ04. Get some M855 ammo. This is for the just in case time, should it arise.
5. Your choices of optics are so large I would be careful. I cannot stand red dot but I am in a minority.
6. Get a sling like you see the US Army guys using. I cannot stand them but that minority thing again
7. Get a case, something like this

If you are gonna build one, find someone who can do it for you and get a Lilja SS fluted barrel. Accuracy is Number 1 in my book.

Pintail

Look up zro delta. They have a range ready with a pin and welded .223 wylde barrel. I have one topped with a 1x8x24. I've stretched it out to 600 yds easy.

kamml

I started out maybe 20 years ago or so by building my first AR-15. It was one of those projects that depended on the right tools, which I did not have to start. You know, having the upper and lower receiver vises, pin punches, and books to explain the assembly. Overall it was a good experience but back then kinda pricey. The "Shotgun News" was my savior. I got almost everything I needed through those pages, it seemed. Combined with Midway USA I was covered. Today I recommend building your first one, buying a stripped lower, choose a caliber and pick your parts over the internet. Triggers are much better today, cheaper too, and it's tough to beat Bear Creek prices for almost everything you need. Once you have assembled the lower hinge pins, safety, and trigger parts, the rest is easy. Well, take the bolt our just to see how it works in the up[per. Yeah, you can buy assembled lowers and uppers and just push the pins in and out, but you will not really learn to take your bolt apart that way, either. Above all, have fun and wear eye protection from the darn springs.

skipperbrown

Compass Lake upper with Douglas barrel
He retired as Fort Campbell Sniper School Instructor and started Compass Lake. Everything else PRI. Maybe a Colt lower and SSA-E trigger
Compass Lake is well known in the AR competition shooters world as a top tier custom shop. I have 2 of their uppers, one in .223 and the other in 300 BO. The .223 is everything I ever hoped for. I'm still trying to find a bullet load combo for the 300. The S&W uppers they replaced are just gathering dust.

Latest posts