Agree or Disagree?

mike243

Most of the folks wanting the reduced or point restriction tend to be from wTn, never going to be satisfied with any rules, they drop gun and extend season for bow hunting I will bet $50 the harvest wont drop 1 bit 🤣

TheLBLman

...it just wasn't fair to have a 2 buck limit on my farms, as the most skilled hunters would always kill 2, thereby limiting the opportunity of the less skilled hunters to just kill 1.
In my situation, the 2-3-buck limit wasn't just limiting the opportunity of the less skilled hunters, but was limiting the opportunity for most of the skilled hunters as well.

Many of the skilled hunters were just seeing many the bucks they gave a pass being killed by other skilled hunters who had more interest in "limiting out" than helping manage for higher quality.

As you know, if the goal is to produce more older bucks with large antlers, the bucks in most need of protection are the top-antlered 2 1/2 & 3 1/2-yr-old bucks. Any reasonable antler restrictions only seem to increase the harvest of these particular bucks, never mind the goal was to give them more protection.

We have a simple rule that all 3 1/2-yr-old bucks are "club legal". But the best antlered 2 1/2's & 3 1/2's ones were tending to be killed quickly every year, i.e. hunter high grading of antlers. Most of the bucks living to 4 1/2 or older simply therefore had smaller than average antlers for their cohort ages as born. We were killing off our best stock before it could show its true potential, while giving a pass to all those 3 1/2-yr-olds with below average antlers.

Rather than impose greater "shooter buck" restrictions via either age or antlers, the better solution seemed to be to just reduce the buck limit. I had about half the hunters wanting a 1-buck limit, most the others wanting to keep it at 2. I personally generally prefer a simple 2-buck limit. The idea of 1.5 seemed the better solution for our circumstance.

kaizen leader

I like the 2 buck limit. I shoot the first nice 8 or better that comes along and very happy with that. Then I wait for a big one. I don't have the pleasure to know what's moving through areas I hunt so I can't hunt a specific buck. So far I haven't even seen a really nice buck in my 55 years of deer hunting. I guess that tells you how bad I am. I'm still having a great time.

kaizen leader

Ain't nothing to do with being good or bad. There just aren't many really big deer around. A lot areas have none.
Thanks. I feel a little better. I guess you're right. The really nice ones are few and far between because they stay hidden from us humans. They are very good at staying alive. I saw a nice wide 8 this week on my cell trail cam not able to use his left rear leg. He was one I was hoping to get but was good at hiding. Looks like he got hit by a car. No wound that I could see. I hope he makes it. He will be very nice this fall if he does.

morgancountry

Leave it alone.

There was a post the other day about a 7 year old tagged out. Huge smile on his face for both bucks. Sad people want to take one of those memories from him so they can kill bigger deer
I agree. Also, the reality is (and it's hard for some men to swallow) if you aren't killing big bucks now, you won't if it goes to 1 buck limit…

Madbowh

The more I think about it they might just go to 1 buck limit statewide at some point accept cwd. If you look at Catoosa over the past 15 years they have been constantly changing everything. Had 1 location with 5 or 6 legal deer and massive old 12pt this was just 2 year ago, the numbers are there hunters just aren't harvesting, plus bears and hogs. Catoosa is a prime example for how bad twra's judgement and ability to get things done is in imo.

AT Hiker

Was the herd growing back when the limit was 11 here in Tn?

As an aside, if one wants the bucks to be able to grow to maturity, then set it at 0, that would be even better, right? Just b/c someone (myself included) just limits themselves to 1 buck per year, if that, doesn't mean it benefits someone who wants to kill 2 or 3 even. I thought there was supposed to be a push to get folks afield to hunt period, not just for the mega bucks that appear when the buck limit is heavily limited, or restricted, such as 4 per side, minimum spread, etc. So no, I disagree that it helps every hunter.
Arguments could be made that a one buck limit would recruit more to hunting but the question becomes are these people done hunting after their one buck?

What we need is more people accepting of deer hunting, then more people wanting to eat deer and hopefully more people willing to hunt for the meat. Or at least begging other hunters to bring them a few does each year.

IMO, that's best case scenario. Hard core hunters having the woods to themselves, leases going away or become more affordable. Being able to hunt places like Presidents Island more often. Your neighbors and coworkers begging for you to bring them deer meat. Everyone agreeing that American Wildlife management is the best idea.

Ski

Arguments could be made that a one buck limit would recruit more to hunting but the question becomes are these people done hunting after their one buck?

What we need is more people accepting of deer hunting, then more people wanting to eat deer and hopefully more people willing to hunt for the meat. Or at least begging other hunters to bring them a few does each year.

IMO, that's best case scenario. Hard core hunters having the woods to themselves, leases going away or become more affordable. Being able to hunt places like Presidents Island more often. Your neighbors and coworkers begging for you to bring them deer meat. Everyone agreeing that American Wildlife management is the best idea.

Venison used to be a delicacy. Then deer disappeared from commercial hunting and for a many decade span of time there was no venison. Commercial beef and refrigeration filled the void before deer hunting was a viable thing again and other than rural families who hunted, venison lost its appeal. I'm not sure it'll ever in our lifetime become the sought after delicacy it used to be.

MUP

In my area, it's pretty much like this, people asking if you could kill a deer for them anyway. The lease thing is another story.

TheLBLman

Venison used to be a delicacy. . . . . I'm not sure it'll ever in our lifetime become the sought after delicacy it used to be.
If venison doesn't make a come-back as an appreciated source of free-range, organic meat, the number one cause will likely be false-narrative fear-mongering of CWD.

All this CWD fear-mongering has not only caused many people to stop eating venison, but also put out of business many deer processors that made the availability of venison more practical to masses of people.

Last edited:

Latest posts